Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The modern Greek military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The modern Greek military
    Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 03:00
The HAF ordered 12 (options for 3 more) of these Italian Alenia C-27J Spartans. These a great little transports and are compatible to the Hercs because Lockheed was a partner in its development.

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 19:09
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 03:38
Ill attach some Embraer ERIEYE photos in this post (over some time). 4 in service. These are mid level AWACs that are cheap to buy and run. This is more of a pragmatic choice for a smaller country that hasn't got a bucket of money, as the better and bigger ones are very expensive.

Edited by Hellios - 24-Jan-2007 at 04:20
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Hummer with ASRAD:

ASRAD is good but short range (5 km).

Edited by Hellios - 24-Jan-2007 at 02:29
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 19:41
Originally posted by Batu

Do you have any paratroopers? or mountain commandos?

Yep, both.  I'll post some examples for you soon.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 11:02
Pantsir AA.

Edited by Hellios - 20-Jan-2007 at 23:19
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 14:09
UAV...

Sperwer-A:

Sperwer-B:

Sperwer-HV:

Edited by Hellios - 26-Jan-2007 at 19:32
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 16:20
Originally posted by Hellios

NH-90:

Took almost 10 years to design this helicopter.  It's also used by other countries like Germany & France.

Below is a German one, with a radar that looks different than the Greek one (above).

Below link is a large photo of a Greek NH-90, new unit with decals but no numbers yet.

Edited by Hellios - 01-Feb-2007 at 21:27
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 13:48

Tor-M1:

Each unit is independent or can be linked to a wider air defense system.
It carries 8 missiles, stored vertically, in 2 cartridges of 4.
Each missile has 4 extra (frontal) thrusters, allowing it to intercept small, fast, highly maneuverable targets.

Edited by Hellios - 11-Feb-2007 at 17:18
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 18:17
Guys the harti (paper) has arrived...13th February I must be in Megalo Peuko.

I'm thinking getting my laptop to my new house (look below) in case there is a hot topic over here in the forum.

Edited by Hellios - 05-Mar-2007 at 14:26
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:47
There seems to be a large variety of systems and hardware. How is all this integrated into a comprehensive system of defense? What is the level of now-days domestic production of oplic systems? Is ELBO the only representative in that sector and is it state-owned, private, or both?

It seems that we don't buy exclusively from the US anymore which in my oppinion is positive (less dependancy on "undependable" protectors). Do you think that's true?

How really corrupt is the munitions industry in the light of the recent comissions scandal with the Russian AA system (i forget it's name)?

And last but not least: do you think that Greece should participate more in overseas military operations (either USA or NATO ensconsed)? This, of course, will produce casualties at some point but it could raise combat readiness of units involved which then could be dissipated in the rest of the military. I know that neither the Greek public nor any Greek goverment regardless of political affiliation is willing to see dead and mutilated Greek boys (some of whom I already know in a digital but heart-felt way)  in the name of the sanctity of any foreign conflict; yet our "neighbor to the east" maintains high combat readiness due to the ongoing conflict with PKK/Kurds. And as much as I'm convinced that peace and cooperation will be the final outcome in the region, I have to address the issue of combat readiness on strategic grounds.

Edited by Hellios - 17-Jan-2007 at 23:06
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 22:03
Haha, Alexander would be laughing his ass off...

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 22:53
Originally posted by Patrinos

O.Y.K. submarine destruction team:

Patrinos, they do more than submarines; they're general underwater demolitions; bridges, docks, ships, etc.
I read somewhere it was called OYK until 1969 when it was renamed to MYK & renamed again in 2002 to ΔΥΚ.

Edited by Hellios - 06-Feb-2007 at 16:16
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 23:30

Pantsir AA.

The Pantsir combines SA-22 missiles with 30 mm guns.  It's based on the Tunguska system.

Edited by Hellios - 30-Jan-2007 at 08:12
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 00:32
Originally posted by Leonidas

Ill attach some Embraer ERIEYE photos in this post (over some time). 4 in service. These are mid level AWACs that are cheap to buy and run. This is more of a pragmatic choice for a smaller country that hasn't got a bucket of money, as the better and bigger ones are very expensive.

Their size kinda right for Greece, a small country. Smile

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 19:01
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 01:36

AH-64A+:

Is it still the best attack helicopter or not?

Edited by Hellios - 01-Feb-2007 at 22:32
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 11:01

Apache also has the sensor in the helmet. Wherever the pilot turns his head the machine gun turns in the same direction. This system is also integrated in F16 block 52. Where the eye of the pilot looks the target is following. Just need to press the trigger. A helmet of that craft costs about 500000 euros.

I saw the videos. Perfect.

Patrine maybe we will meet after 3 months.
I want to volunteer Special forces. But when i join you ll be old. So be gentle with me!!
We will meet each other in Pilio.

Edited by Hellios - 19-Jan-2007 at 19:01
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 13:37
Is ELBO the only representative in that sector and is it state-owned, private, or both?

There are some private industries in Greece, but ELBO is the biggest. ELBO belongs to Militineos' company, but I think the state still participates. Mitilineos also has the METKA, Greece's biggest metal constructions industry. METKA is producing the turrents of the Leopard 2HEL of Greece, not just assembling them. ELBO assembles the chassis and the rest.

It seems that we don't buy exclusively from the US anymore which in my oppinion is positive (less dependancy on "undependable" protectors). Do you think that's true?

It's true, we buy a lot of equipment from other sources, especially Europe, which is good. Nonetheless, Greece is member of EU. But still, I think that the internal industry should be developed even more.

And last but not least: do you think that Greece should participate more in overseas military operations (either USA or NATO ensconsed)? This, of course, will produce casualties at some point but it could raise combat readiness of units involved which then could be dissipated in the rest of the military. I know that neither the Greek public nor any Greek goverment regardless of political affiliation is willing to see dead and mutilated Greek boys (some of whom I already know in a digital but heart-felt way)  in the name of the sanctity of any foreign conflict; yet our "neighbor to the east" maintains high combat readiness due to the ongoing conflict with PKK/Kurds. And as much as I'm convinced that peace and cooperation will be the final outcome in the region, I have to address the issue of combat readiness on strategic grounds.

I make the very same thoughts with you. The problem is however that Greece has very little personnel. Sending a 'decent' force of like 2,000 men is very difficult. These 2,000 men of good quality (proffessionals, volunteers) are neccessary inside Greece, where the combat units have only like 30% of their manpower (in peace time). With the service time at 11 months Greece will never have enough men. If Greece had 150,000 instead of 80,000-90,000 men, probably she could spare some for, let's say, Afghansitan. Of course there are other reasons too. The greek society would be reluctant to a such prospect. The cost also of maintaining a 2,000 force in Afghanistan would be too much for Greece. I agree however that the officials should consider the fact that the army needs a little action to stretch its muscles.

About the russian AA, I assume you are reffering to the Tor-M1. The case has been closed as you may know. Of course something 'dark' had happened, but we will never find out. The Tor-M1, by the way, seems to have performed quite well in a recent NATO excercise in Greece. At least we got a good system.

Edited by Hellios - 18-Jan-2007 at 15:44
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 17:33
Originally posted by Patrinos

U-214:

Patrinos, that sub is at the top of its evolutionary ladder.  Below you can see its ancestors.

Below you can compare it to U-212.

Designations:
S-120 Papanikolis
S-121 Pipinos
S-122 Matrozos
S-123 Katsonis

The Greek 214's are armed with the dual-purpose WASS BlackShark heavy torpedo.

Below photos from an exercise - after target practice with guns the target was sunk with just 1 BlackShark torpedo. LOL

Edited by Hellios - 10-Feb-2007 at 20:35
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 18:11
Originally posted by konstantinius

Patrine, too bad you're not serving in 10 years.  By then global warming might make scenes like the above a thing of the past.

Don't put thoughts in my mind.

Originally posted by perikles

Patrine maybe we will meet after 3 months. I want to volunteer Special forces. But when i join you ll be old. So be gentle with me!! We will meet each other in Pilio.

Gentle...hmm, I don't know.  If you do my "numera" for me.

Patrinos, they do more than submarines; they're general underwater demolitions; bridges, docks, ships, etc.  I read somewhere it was called OYK until 1969 when it was renamed to MYK & renamed again in 2002 to ΔΥΚ.

Yes indeed, in a case of war they will be the first who will pull the trigger. Their alternative name is "vatrachanthropoi" because their are a little bit amphibious. There are many rumors about their training, something more than tough, and thats why from 2002 when they renamed into Δ.Υ.Κ. only lifers can enroll.

Edited by Hellios - 18-Jan-2007 at 18:52
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 18:47
When Greek & Turkish pilots get into mock dog-fights over the Aegean, how exactly does it work?
What are the unwritten rules of the game?
How do they determine who wins?
In many HAF recordings of mock dog-fights I hear the name "George".  Just coincidence or is he a top gun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>