Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christian Jens View Drop Down
  Quote Christian Jens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books
    Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 13:13
Hello once again christmast is aproching, and this year i thought about historical books, and i found some nice ones on amazon, but not quite what i was looking for. and since i cant look inside them before i buy them and pay an insane amount of shipping cost.. i live in norway... jey.. so if any one could reccomend some nice shops or som nice books that would be great. im intrested in the early modern era and imperial are, that is from aprox 1500 to 1700, european history like the war of spanish succsesion(sp?) and the wars in italy the one with pavia in it dont remember the name, and the holy league against the ottomans and so on. im fluent in german and norwegian, obviously(sp?)and i can read english good since all my school books are in english. the books im looking for have to have many maps and pictures and im interested in the military side of the era, and as i dont am an historian and history is my hobby the have to be an relative easy read. after all im doing this on my spare time, its not like my physics book

so hehe i know i have a lot of spesifics but hey at this forum there are so many well read people that i dont think that is a problem

Thanks a lot in advance

cheers Christian
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 21:40
"Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond. It's a terrific book. Though it is not a historically enriched book, it discuss why Middle East emerged as world power in the beginning of the world. Talks about how some civilizations emerged as world power, and why some declined. It's like a appetizer before historians actually engulf the details. Strongly recommended.
 Post Reply Post Reply