Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Common features of major human institutions:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common features of major human institutions:
    Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 12:43

Throughout history, 3 major institutions have dominated people's public and social lives: the temple, the palace and the market (or in modern terms, the church, the state and the corporation). These three institutions, while they may appear quite different, in fact have a lot of things in common, as far as their structure and practices are concerned. I propose that we examine commonalities and differences:

The church is a (usually) hierarchical institution, with an elected (or sometimes inherited) leader. It offers the service of spiritual guidance and support, in exchange for a donation from its adherents. Most of the money it receives is invested in one of four areas: further conversion, administration,  real estate (churches, temples, mosques, etc.) and other services to the community (aid to the poor, sometimes schooling and healthcare). The Church has defined symbols (the cross, the crescent, Om, etc.) and it has one or more "superstar" figures (prophets, wise men, living gods, etc.) who act as models for the population. Its methods also include ritual chants and slogans which are repeated throughout an adherent's life.

The state is a hierarchical institution, with an elected or inherited leader. It offers the service of security and support, in exchange for a donation (taxes) from its adherents (citizens). Most of the money it receives is invested in one of four areas: security  of current citizens and expansion (gaining more citizens), administration, real estate (infrastructure, government buildings, museums, etc.) and other services to the community (aid to the poor, usually schooling and healthcare). The State has defined symbols (the national flag) and it has one or more "superstar" figures (popular heroes, successful historical leaders, etc.) who act as models for the population. Its methods also include ritual chants (national anthems and other patriotic songs) and slogans which are repeated throughout a citizen's life.

The corporation is a hierarchical institution, with an elected (or sometimes inherited) leader. It offers various services or goods, in exchange for money from its clients. Most of the money it receives is invested in one of four areas: expansion or consolidation, administration, investments in real estate or finance and other services to the community (usually sponsoring community causes). The corporation has defined symbols (corporate logo) and it has one or more "superstar" figures (succesful executives and entrepreneurs) who act as models for the population. Its methods also include ritual chants (corporate jingles) and slogans  (advertising) which are repeated throughout an adherent's (a client or buyer's) life.

In general, we can usually observe which institution is the most powerful, by observing which one offers the most social services, and which one is predominant in controlling healthcare and education. Also, which institution is dominant also determines the culture of the region and era it dominates. Historically, the church has usually been the most stable of the three institutions. In Western history, it has dominated the Middle Ages from the fall of the Roman Empire until the Renaissance, when it slowly gave way to the state. The church usually ran hospitals and schools throughout this period. The state had a very solid hold over public life until very modern times, when it is slowly giving way to the corporation. During the last few hundred years, it has typically run hospitals and schools, but recently, especially in North America, we see a tendency of schools and hospitals becoming private (ie, corporate-owned)

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 19:16
Great post db!
Are there any examples of corporations before european power but? I once heard that the corporation structure is actually based on the succesful structure of the church, which in turn is based on the successful structure of Roman government.

If you change the example a bit you can get quite a different view, for example religion can be the inherited beliefs of your ancestors that aren't codified or supported by any clergy. The market can be a large number of small sales men, who make and sell their goods independently of a large organisation.

I think the similarity in modern institutions is more a sign of the influence of the Church.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 22:11
Another example of your dedication to history. Your articles are so serious that they have a pacifying effect on me. That  itself is great writing ability.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 04-Jan-2007 at 16:10
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 02:05
I think you're taking a rather narrow view of things here. Yes hierarchical structures can and frequently do apply to all three of those institutions, but they don't necessarily do so. Many churches - including Christian, Islamic and Jewish ones - are not hierarchical. So have been many states, though the only obvious current example I can think of immediately is Switzerland. At its foundation, the US was certainly not intended to be hierarchical.

And a large part of the organisational developments in corporations over the past 30-40 years have been concerned with developing more efficient forms of administration than the hierarchical (certainly the purely hierarchical).

One of the things that causes the misreading I suspect is the concentration of the media (and the public) on popular 'hero figures' and the development of usually unjustified myths around them.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 07:06

Thank you Vivek, that's nice of you. gcle and Omar, thanks for the comments. I'm aware that my analysis is not 100% accurate, as generalizations seldom are. But that's the whole point of discussing such issues. We have peopel from different backgrounds here, and with different expertises, and hopefully they can provide different points of view.

I have a suspicion that my generalisation largely applies to the western society, and that the modern versions of the state and corporation have a common source in western history, namely the Roman Empire, as Omar said. This succesful structure later on spread around the world. I wonder: how does the structure of other significant churches, such as buddhist/lamaist differ from it? Or how about the structure of states which were not influenced by the Roman Empire, such as Imperial China or various Indian states?

Napoleon Bonaparte

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 07:07

Thank you Vivek, that's nice of you. gcle and Omar, thanks for the comments. I'm aware that my analysis is not 100% accurate, as generalizations seldom are. But that's the whole point of discussing such issues. We have peopel from different backgrounds here, and with different expertises, and hopefully they can provide different points of view.

I have a suspicion that my generalisation largely applies to the western society, and that the modern versions of the state and corporation have a common source in western history, namely the Roman Empire, as Omar said. This succesful structure later on spread around the world. I wonder: how does the structure of other significant churches, such as buddhist/lamaist differ from it? Or how about the structure of states which were not influenced by the Roman Empire, such as Imperial China or various Indian states?

Napoleon Bonaparte

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 03:25

Originally posted by Decebal

I have a suspicion that my generalisation largely applies to the western society, and that the modern versions of the state and corporation have a common source in western history, namely the Roman Empire, as Omar said.

Arguably in the west the counter-hierarchical cultures stem from the barbarian societies that eventually defeated the (Western) Empire.

An interesting institution in this context is, for me, the Royal Navy as it evolved in the 18th century. Agreed it was hierarchical in form, but it developed - necessarily, given communication technology of the time - an extremely decentralised form that accounted for much of its success.

It has been therefore a model for the decentralised approaches to corporate management that characterised the 1960s and 1970s - until the growth of computers increased the ability to commuicate fast enough to make recentralisation possible.

The spiral in which improved communications technology leads to more centralisation of authority, which then breaks down under fissile pressure for independence until the next communications breakthrough comes is an interesting historical trend.

This succesful structure later on spread around the world. I wonder: how does the structure of other significant churches, such as buddhist/lamaist differ from it?

The protestant churches (classifying the Anglican as Catholic, not Protestant) are on the whole not hierarchical. Congregations appoint ministers, and ministers meet and confer, and some of them may earn more respect than others, but basically that's it. No hierarchy.

Judaism and at least some branches of Islam are organised in similar ways.
Or how about the structure of states which were not influenced by the Roman Empire, such as Imperial China or various Indian states?
 Post Reply Post Reply