Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post-Modernism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-Modernism
    Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 21:23

what is in store for us? why did the soviet union collapse under reagan, why did he give arms to iran, how did he realign politics. why did we not fight the soviets directly in the cold war?

How has our thinking evolved? what were the transcendentalists talking about?

we live in an era called postmodernism.  what society will call our time post modern. perhaps the one after the next great war. if we are called postmodern, their must be plans for a modern society after our era. what are they?

J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 00:17
why did he give arms to iran

The United States supplied arms to Afghanistan and Iraq in the 80s, however, I do not recall arms deals with Iran - especially since the CIA or the USA government has never supported the 'rebel' administration of the ayatollah (pardon my spelling error here).

why did we not fight the soviets directly in the cold war?

Not a lot of Americans like to say it, but let me put it this way.  Our Aegis systems in the 80s could barely read the signatures on a Yahkont sea-skimmer.  Had we gone to war with the Soviets we would have been s-c-r-e-w-e-d.
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2004 at 02:34
we had our boys pointing our nukes from the 38th Parallel, while my guess Cuba still had something to fire off at Washington D.C. if given enough provocation even after the 'peaceful' resolution of the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I think the Soviets and Americans were quite content with idea of fighting our 'Cold War' on other continents, see Viet Nam, Korea, Angolia, Afghanistan, and Iran as instants where the Powers played a dangerous, bloody game of chess with the rest of the world.  There was no other logical conclusion than for one of the powers to collapse politically on the wave of economic disintegration.  It just so happened that the Soviets played their game by a strategy that didn't lead to victory. 
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 11:05
Biggest historical misconception is to give credit for winning Cold War to Reagan. This works only for the consumption of the uninformed, to put it mildly.

Iran arms deal in US is called Iran-Contra scandal. It was an illegal and based on ignorance deal of getting money from Iran for US supplied weapons and supporting with it some, so called, "freedom fighters" in Nicaragua. These "freedom fighters" would be considered common criminals in most of the societies.

About Cuban missile crisis and potential nuclear exchange:
I recommend the book "Blind Man's Bluff" about US Navy. When author of this book interviewed -after the Cold War was over - former Soviet admirals, they told him that Reagan got US closest to a nuclear war than any other US president, including JFK.
Soviets thought that he was a fanatical crusader and would use the nukes first and they seriously considered preemptive strike.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:46
The Soviet Union collapsed on itself, Reagan had nothign to do with it.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 20:51
Originally posted by Dux

why did he give arms to iran

The United States supplied arms to Afghanistan and Iraq in the 80s, however, I do not recall arms deals with Iran - especially since the CIA or the USA government has never supported the 'rebel' administration of the ayatollah (pardon my spelling error here).

why did we not fight the soviets directly in the cold war?

Not a lot of Americans like to say it, but let me put it this way.  Our Aegis systems in the 80s could barely read the signatures on a Yahkont sea-skimmer.  Had we gone to war with the Soviets we would have been s-c-r-e-w-e-d.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 20:53
it was called the iran contra scandal--i beg your pardon, but you might want to pick up a book.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 20:55
my point is:  we are moving into a society like the book 1984.  and the plan is as old as the Bible itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply