Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BCE and CE notations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BCE and CE notations
    Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 15:11

For the objectivity of history to be protected ;

BCE : Before COMMON Era
AD : Anno Domini

As far as , i know .
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 02:19
Mr. Mordoth, you are mixing both.

I do not know why the confusion?

CE = COMMON ERA and BCE = BEFORE COMMON ERA.

Here, no religion is involved, as claimed by the historians.

You mention about the protection of "objectivity of history"! What is it? Would you please elaborate it?
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 02:32
JamaRook noted, "As a side note, does anyone else hate it when people use 0 CE or 0 AD as a date? I mean come on years are ordinal not cardinal.

The Christians, when devised, manipulated and introduced chritiian era, thery could not mention "Zero year", as they did not know it.

Ask Dionysius Exigus, a monk from Scythia, around 6th century reportedly invented!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 03:04
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

So datings made on suuch helical risings, Nile floodings etc., have been used to date Egyptian chronology?

I believe so. But when you count the New Year as starting isn'l all that important to long-term chronology like that involved in Egyptian history.

What is more important is that the Egyptian year count is very accurately aligned with the solar year. A hundred years Egyptian is, if anything, more accurate than a Gregorian or Khayyam hundred years, let alone any of the earlier calendars, or the lunar ones.    
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 18:24
Personaly I like the old A.U.C. method. (After the founding of Rome)
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 22:10

Request to gcle2003:

The point is if the Egyptians had reportedly recorded the helical risings, folooding of Nile etc., and the dating of Egyptian events are done adopting astronomical methods, that aspect has to be verified.

How the astronomical datings have beenb accepted by the archaeologistrs correlating?

These points are to be clarified in the case of Egyptian chronology.
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 22:13
Is it not Romo-centric?

When I mentioned about a book, "Hindu America" as a reference in pre-Columbian forum, a member alarmed to express about, "Hindu0-centric".
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 23:21

For the objectivity of history to be protected ;

BCE : Before COMMON Era
AD : Anno Domini

(>.>)....... Mordoth, that's not objective. Anno Domini is latin for "In the Year of Our Lord." So it is even more religious than "Before Christ." Creating an objective timeframe is like creating an objective Prime Meridian, it just can't be done.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 00:43
History isn't objective. We can strive towards objective history but a there will always be a measure of subjectivity contained within writings. It's human nature.

If you want to strive towards "more" objective historical writings then I put forward that there is bigger obstacles to cross than the renaming of timeframe references.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 00:56

The point is if the Egyptians had reportedly recorded the helical risings, folooding of Nile etc., and the dating of Egyptian events are done adopting astronomical methods, that aspect has to be verified.

Against what? Even the years of accession of the latter-day pharaohs of the 26th - 30th dynasties are conjectural. If you have an inscription that such and such happened on the 1st day of Thoth in the seventh year of the Pharoah Sesotris (if it gives the pharoah, which it may not), then how do you compare it with anything else?

Some of the Egyptian king lists correlate with the Persian or Babylonian lists at some points and thence to Roman records, but they only give vague indications.

When, for instance, you can't date Hammurabi reliably to within a couple of hundred years, it doesn't make much difference whether you're working with years based on the rising of Sirius or the vernal equinox, or whenever.

How the astronomical datings have beenb accepted by the archaeologistrs correlating?

Again, correlating what with what?

These points are to be clarified in the case of Egyptian chronology.

How?

Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 03:10
You yourself say that, "Even the years of accession of the latter-day pharaohs of the 26th - 30th dynasties are conjecture", how then the dating of Egyptian dynasties are dated back to c.3000 BCE. This, I am asking how, if it is not done based on helical rising, NIle flooding etc.

The Egyptian dynasties have been dated astronomically. So, how such datings have been correlated with other methods of dating?

You accept that,"Some of the Egyptian king lists correlate with the Persian or Babylonian lists at some points and thence to Roman records, but they only give vague indications", but those correlatioons are accepted historically or not?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 04:44

You yourself say that, "Even the years of accession of the latter-day pharaohs of the 26th - 30th dynasties are conjecture", how then the dating of Egyptian dynasties are dated back to c.3000 BCE. This, I am asking how, if it is not done based on helical rising, NIle flooding etc.

Mostly it's done by comparing Egyptian archaeological records with records from the other contemporary civilisations. Plus guesswork and intelligent interpolation, helped nowadays by things like carbon dating. Where eclipses and other notable astronomic events are mentioned - which isn't often - it's possible to back-calculate when they must have occurred in our year count.

Since the records from other civilisations are just as sporadic and hazy as the Egyptian ones, the results are never all that accurate. We have, for instance, pretty good records of the years when specific Roman consuls held office, but at best they go back to around 500 BCE, and it's rare until much later that there are Egyptian record indicating that such and such happened 'in the year of the second consulate of X'.

You seem to be wanting to say that such and such happened in such and such year on such and such a day in our calendar. In early Egyptian history you can't do that.

The Egyptian dynasties have been dated astronomically.

Not accurately they haven't.

So, how such datings have been correlated with other methods of dating?
You accept that,"Some of the Egyptian king lists correlate with the Persian or Babylonian lists at some points and thence to Roman records, but they only give vague indications", but those correlatioons are accepted historically or not?

Approximately. That's the point.

The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 15:41
'If you want to strive towards "more" objective historical writings then I put forward that there is bigger obstacles to cross than the renaming of timeframe references."

in fact, this attempt to rename involves as much subjectivism as that it seeks to remove.

if you read the talk page on the wikipedia entry for Jesus, there is a monumental debate on this.

Edited by The_Jackal_God - 14-Dec-2006 at 18:02
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 09:52
I read that the BCE is Before Christ's Era (or something very alike) and CE is Common Era...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 14:25

I read that the BCE is Before Christ's Era (or something very alike) and CE is Common Era...

Okay, everyone it's not as complicated as your making it out to be. (I'm not just singling you out rider.)

BCE: Before Common Era
CE: Common Era

This nomenclature was created to overlap and replace the previous Christian and Western biased historical time references. Which were:

BC: Before Christ
AD: Anno Domini (Latin for 'In the Year of Our Lord') or to translate even further, this was the year that scholar's believed that Jesus Christ was born.

Thus 1 A.D. meant the 'year Christ was born'. The year before that was 1 B.C. and the year after it was 2 A.D.

It is an Ordinal system, basically meaning there is no year zero since 1 A.D. means the first A.D.

Personally I think that if we want to create a non-biased way to record time, we should just set 1 CE to be the year 2001, the year of the millenium to make conversion from AD to CE easy enough.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 09:24
It would still be difficult... we would live in 5 CE (for these few days) and then we would use some old history books that tell us of 1980 CE.,.. I imagine how confusing that could be:D

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 14:54

It would still be difficult... we would live in 5 CE (for these few days) and then we would use some old history books that tell us of 1980 CE

I take it then history books in europe have used CE (Common Era) for a while now? Here in America only the most recent history books attempt to use CE as a reference, still to this day most textbooks use AD and BC notation. So I guess it would be easier for Americans to make my suggested transition rather than europeans, or am I still mistaken?

Anyway rider, come on it's easy, 1980 would be 21 BCE with my new reference.

Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 05:10

The dates mentioned (as we see in the history books), are in Christian angle.

Before the medieval period, the documents do not show date specifically in Christian era.

In fact, when calendar reformation was going on another confusion was made by mentioning the dates in OS and NS, the two dates of birth are given to Newton.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 10:08
Originally posted by Ikki

If you want a neutral chronology, make a new chronology like the french of the revolution times made, but i think that try to take the BC era, change the name of the era, and negate the nature of that era can be named at least historical rob, with negative consecuences for both europeans and non europeans.True about that differents eras can be confuse, generally we only use one translating the others to this; but in certain examples as i said before, is better to do like many books about the islamic civilizations that have both, the islamic and the christian time and i see it very useful for the historical investigation.

I am with Ikki here, to create another system of chronology for no other reason than having one that can't be related to Christianity seems both unnecessary, as the one we have works well, and complicating, as we would still be forced to relate to the old system for many decades still.

Even worse, it is rather historyless IMO. I am, and many of us are, European or European-Americans, and even if we are not Christian our background and historical identity has been heavily influenced by Christianity, most of us still are, and I have no need, in fact I blankly refuse to downplay this part of my cultural heritage.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 14:29
Though suggested, it wasn't perhaps drawn more clearly: BCE and CE mean the same thing as BC and AD, the only thing changed are the acronyms. I for one prefer the Christ refering ones - like BC and AD or like a.C(hr). and p.C(hr) - for the sake of preserving the meaning (I find no real use to hide it behind another(!) arbitrary convention - a "common era"), the computations of a Christian monk. In a similar manner we have AUC dates, H dates, etc.. There's no fuss about them being Rome-centric or Islamo-centric (they surely are), there are just other ways to divide eras. And certainly there's no universal moment of time of same value for the entire humankind, so no matter what time division we will use it will be something-centric. We just have to live with that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>