Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of animals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of animals
    Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 06:51

...I am not sure what others will think, but i have a fondness for pigs!!!...

...they are more intelligent than usually regarded, it just seems to me that they do their own thing, yes, they wallow in muck (except their 'pig houses' where they carefully tread down the straw to form a very clean, soft, and admirable bedding and home) snuffle around and generally don't do much (except maybe truffle pigs!), but its exactly that attitude i admire!!!!....the indifference, the 'i'll do something if i choose to', but generally sit back and take in the world...

..i think i have a strange 'connection' with pigs...when i was a small child, my mother used to pick fruit on the local farms and i would be taken along for the ride...often i would go missing from the fields and apparently, my mother and the farmer knew exactly where to find me...in the pig pens and in the pigs houses!!!...i used to curl up and go to sleep with the piglets...
...so the farmer said, a quite unusual thing as a female pig is extremely protective over its young and will 'kill' if they feel their young are threatened, but maybe thats it, i was not a threat..the farmer told my mum that i was probably not a threat, i was in fact safer with the huge mother pigs than if i was roaming around the rest of the farm!!!!..

...still, no matter how many times i got told off by the farmer and my mum, i still found my way back to my piggy friends...!!!!

..With history in mind, what about Carrier Pigeons'..apparently, some have been awarded medals for bravery in action....

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 28-Nov-2006 at 06:55
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 08:03
My favorite cat is the serval...
serval.jpg (16892 bytes)

Just look at those ears! Tongue It just melts me into a mellow puddle!
I also like the clouded leopard. Beautiful animal... and very endangered...

But my favorite animal are birds from the crow family... So intelligent and so beautiful...

common raven

Edited by Aelfgifu - 28-Nov-2006 at 08:04

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 08:28
Originally posted by Knights

On the topic of Endangered animals;

Number of described species Number of species evaluated in 2006 Number of threatened species in 1996/98 Number of threatened species in 2000 Number of threatened species in 2002 Number of threatened species in 2003 Number of threatened species in 2004 Number of threatened species in 2006 Number threatened in 2006, as % of species described Number threatened in 2006, as % of species evaluated**
Vertebrates  
Mammals 5,416 4,856 1,096 1,130 1,137 1,130 1,101 1,093 20% 23%
Birds 9,934 9,934 1,107 1,183 1,192 1,194 1,213 1,206 12% 12%
Reptiles 8,240 664 253 296 293 293 304 341 4% 51%
Amphibians* 5,918 5,918 124 146 157 157 1,770 1,811 31% 31%
Fishes 29,300 2,914 734 752 742 750 800 1,173 4% 40%
Subtotal 58,808 24,284 3,314 3,507 3,521 3,524 5,188 5,624 10% 23%

Source: IUCN Red List 2006

The amphibious have very very serious problems... Cry Angry
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 11:52
Aelfgifu: Wow, I love servals! Not too many people have heard of them, but they are very cool cats indeed! Extremely agile and yes, those ears hehe they are cute. The clouded leopard is also a very cool cat. Have you seen the length of their canines - longest for their body size in the cat family. I'll try get a good picture to illustrate this.

Ikki: Yes the amphibians, and all those on that table are in danger. That's why we need conservational measures and education/awareness. I don't want to see our animals wiped out Cry

- Knights -
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 12:13
I hear that chemical products in the atmosphere was killing massivelly these amphibians, have you more information about this?
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 15:47
    here is a wonderful creature to behold

This animal has helped China, Persia, even the Roman Empire! The silk worm! Who would ever think such a nice fabric would come from this tiny and beautiful guy!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 16:24
Originally posted by Knights

She looks content, and yeah, they're keeping her small/light considering her bone structure; just look how big her paws are & skull are in relation to the rest of her body.  Main thing is she's healthy & happy!

Grizzlies make great moms, but not great dads.  Moms keep the cubs aways from dad usually.

Which animals make the best dads?  I know some "dads" do 'stick around' and some actually do 'more' work than the moms, if that's possible.

Edited by Hellios - 28-Nov-2006 at 16:29
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 16:39
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

...I am not sure what others will think, but i have a fondness for pigs!!!...

...they are more intelligent than usually regarded, it just seems to me that they do their own thing, yes, they wallow in muck (except their 'pig houses' where they carefully tread down the straw to form a very clean, soft, and admirable bedding and home) snuffle around and generally don't do much (except maybe truffle pigs!), but its exactly that attitude i admire!!!!....the indifference, the 'i'll do something if i choose to', but generally sit back and take in the world...

..i think i have a strange 'connection' with pigs...when i was a small child, my mother used to pick fruit on the local farms and i would be taken along for the ride...often i would go missing from the fields and apparently, my mother and the farmer knew exactly where to find me...in the pig pens and in the pigs houses!!!...i used to curl up and go to sleep with the piglets...
...so the farmer said, a quite unusual thing as a female pig is extremely protective over its young and will 'kill' if they feel their young are threatened, but maybe thats it, i was not a threat..the farmer told my mum that i was probably not a threat, i was in fact safer with the huge mother pigs than if i was roaming around the rest of the farm!!!!..

...still, no matter how many times i got told off by the farmer and my mum, i still found my way back to my piggy friends...!!!!

..With history in mind, what about Carrier Pigeons'..apparently, some have been awarded medals for bravery in action....

That's really cool!

My province (Quebec) has one of the biggest "piggery" industries in the world, hehe, pork might be our province's biggest export, haha!  But really, I agree with you about the misconceptions regarding swine.  Baby pigs are incredibly cute.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 18:23
Originally posted by Ikki

I hear that chemical products in the atmosphere was killing massivelly these amphibians, have you more information about this?

Very true Ikki....I definatly know that amphibians such as frogs are very sensitive to climate and environmental change. They can be good indicators as to how well an ecosystem is functioning. I will look further into this tonight and try and grab some more articles for you.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000D5DCC-CA4A-1E1C-8B3B809EC588EEDF

Also, Hellios, The two bears at Taronga are very content, despite their very old age! Regarding 'good dads', I will get onto you about that tonight too - but I must be off.

EDIT: Marmosets (tiny South American monkeys) are excellent fathers to their young. The fathers take care of their babies from birth. When the baby marmoset is born, the father cleans it, then carries it to the mother only when it needs to be nursed (milk). When the baby can eat solid food, the father will feed it.

Definatly one of the most endurant father, and possible all round parent would have to be the Emperor Penguin Dad. They endure FREEZING conditions (sub -50 Celsius) without eating anything, to look after the egg, waiting for mum to come back from a long hunting journey.

Wolf dads are the protectorates but also 'role models' for the pups. They stand guard looking after the pups in the den while the mother hunts. The role of the father is also to teach the pups to survive - strategies to acquire food and basically live in the wild! Again, dedicated fathers.

*more to come hopefully - that's just off the top of my memory...but there are a heck of a lot more 'dedicated dads'! Big smile

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 28-Nov-2006 at 18:50
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 19:19
Aelfgifu, the ears of the cerval are indeed cute.  Their hearing must be so good.  I've seen video of them jumping to bring down birds from quite high.

Are crows and ravens similar or the same?

Edited by Hellios - 28-Nov-2006 at 19:20
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by Hellios

Are crows and ravens similar or the same?

Crows and Ravens are two seperate species, but are very closely related. They are both in the 'Corvidae' Family and even share the same genus, 'Corvus'. It is their species that differentiates between them. The Common Raven is 'Corvus corax' and the Carrion Crow is 'Corvus corone'.

The 'Corvidae' Family is regarded as being the most advanced/highly developed of all the birds. They are extremely intelligent, adabtable, and most have copmlex social networks and heirarchies (sp?).

Have you heard about the crows in Japan which have come up with a way of breaking the hard casings around some nuts which would otherwise be inaccessible? It's very cool! They drop the nut/s onto the road, but they know to drop them exactly where the pedestrian crossings are (with the little red and green man). As the cars pass by they crush the nuts. The crows are so intelligent and intuitive that they know that when the lights go red and the cars stop, and when the people begin walking across, they can go onto the road and retrieve their nut! Plus, these smarty pants even know to get off the road when the lights turn green again. Amazing. Big smileBig smileBig smile

- Knights -
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 21:49
your saying that these "birds" know how to obey traffic laws? Next thing we'll hear is that cudley hippos actually kill people. geez whats next?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 21:57
lol...but serious, it's true. It's on numerous documentary's including the BBC's life of birds

check this out:

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-7329182515885554944&q=crow+traffic

Edited by Knights - 14-Mar-2007 at 06:51
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 22:04
your saying that these "birds" know how to obey traffic laws? Next thing we'll hear is that cudley hippos actually kill people. geez whats next?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 22:13
No, I'm just saying that through their intelligence they have adapted to the functioning of these particular areas of the road. They do not know that they are 'obeying road laws' in that sense, but they have innovated to be better suited to their environment...taking advantage of the situation! Smile 
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 23:46
Originally posted by knights

Crows and Ravens are two seperate species, but are very closely related. They are both in the 'Corvidae' Family and even share the same genus, 'Corvus'. It is their species that differentiates between them. The Common Raven is 'Corvus corax' and the Carrion Crow is 'Corvus corone'.

Other members of the family are the Jackdaw, the Magpie and the Hooded Crow.

They also cause a lot of trouble by being smart. There are also crows who found out how to crack nuts by throwing them against cars, which is less cute if you own the car... There also was a group of crows here in the Netherlands who terrorized a whole neighbourhood, molesting windscreen wipers by pulling off the rubber, attacking cats, dogs and small children by swooping over and pecking at heads and generally sh*tting all ovr the place...LOL Must be pretty terrifying to leave your home when there is a gang of these waiting for you outside. Those beaks are big!

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 00:21
What's the closest living relative of the pterodactyls?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 00:58
Aelfgifu...that is hilarious!!!!!!! Stuff terrorism...BEWARE of the gangster crows!

Hellios; I have no idea to be honest! But I will endevour to find out

- Knights -
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 01:37
Crows are very beautifull and intelligent birds. Since we are discussing crows at the moment let me quote myself from the begining of the thread just to remind every one what is happening to these beautiful birds here in Japan.
Originally posted by omshanti

I call it the holocaust of the crows.In Japan, the city of Tokyo put out this plan a few years ago in order to get rid of the crows who eat the rubbish in the city beforeit is collected. The plan was to capture 5000 crows every year and exterminate them. Can you believe how they kill them? They put the captured crows in gas chambers. If you go to any park in Tokyo you will see huge trapping cages under the trees. When you ask people about it in Japan , they all say that it is a necessary thing that the city is doingand nobody cares about it.. From the crow 's point of viewJapan is a nazi country.

Knights and Hellios ,this thread is going so well because of you . Thank you so much. Your passion for animals is admirable and I really respect it. Personally I do not have any favorites between animals. I love all of them.

Knights , you beat me . I was actually thinking of posting about Snow-leopards too.They are very endengered. I did not know such a beautiful animal existed untill I saw Planet earth on BBC. I am thinking of fostering two orphaned Snow-leopard brothers right now. Apparently many of them are being hunted in Afghanistan and Pakistan after the US attack.

Edited by omshanti - 29-Nov-2006 at 01:49
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 02:46
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Magpies are cool. They sometimes eat a lot of yeast berries and have drunken raves in big gangs. I've seen magpies so drunk they couldn't fly, but were walking around on the ground, falling and wobbling around.

On that topic, this year's annual drunken moose appearance was in the south of the country, where a female moose found an apple tree with yeast apples in someone's backyard. She spent a weekend eating and getting drunk off the apples, furiously defending her valuable find against anyone who dared come near the tree.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 29-Nov-2006 at 03:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>