Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War of the Roses, what to read?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dlesko View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dlesko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War of the Roses, what to read?
    Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 00:23
Hi guys.  Can you guys recomend books on the English War of the Roses?  I am currently reading the novel "The Sunne in Splendour" which is about this war and i would really like to read some histories of this period.  Thanks guys!

- -Dave- -
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 05:34
Originally posted by dlesko

Hi guys.  Can you guys recomend books on the English War of the Roses?  I am currently reading the novel "The Sunne in Splendour" which is about this war and i would really like to read some histories of this period.  Thanks guys!

The one on my bookshelf is Anthony Goodman's "The Wars of the Roses", which is I think good on the military history of the wars, which is probably what you're after.

Edited by gcle2003 - 13-Nov-2006 at 05:49
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 08:14
Alternatively Alison Weir's book with the same title, though more focused on political than military aspects.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 20:30
Alison Weir's book is the only one I have read, but she is a good author, both in this respect and in others.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 13:08
The Penman (The Sunne in Splendour)Book gives a great historical overview and sense of feeling of the time of the Wars of the Roses. She's actually fairly accurate with dates, places, and militarily she's right on. Also, she gives us a more impartial look at Richard III (tragic), and is far fairer than Shakespeare, who made him a deformed monster. The mystery of the two princes will haunt him forever though, I believe.

Bernard Turnbull makes mention of the Roses in his book Rise and Fall of the Medieval Knight. The British Historical Society Online also offers some very interesting articles.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 20:06
Alison Weir's book the Princes in the Tower and Richard the third by Paul Murry Kendall  and blood-red the roses  by clifford alderman are all on the topic - sort of   
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 15:09
I haven't read it yet, but I've recently been doing a course on the War of the Roses and the Tudors, and my tutor recommended 'Blood and Roses' by Helen Castor. It's a non-fiction book (though apparently reads like a novel), based on the Paston Letters. The Paston Letters are a collection of letters of written by the Paston family, an up and coming noble family during the Wars of the Roses.
 Post Reply Post Reply