Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malaysia&Singapore: Love-Hate Relations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaysia&Singapore: Love-Hate Relations
    Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 09:12
too small to think about i guess.. lol
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 12:52
Yes, Cahaya, how could I have forgotten Brunei!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:30
Haze... even now everyday i go out and drive my car for work along PLUS Highway from Sungai Buloh exit.. each morning.. the air is yet to be cleared... pollution: never ending story...

Last time we had a serious haze prob was as i remember correctly.. back around 1996-97.. dont knw wht Malaysia government did to settle it with Indonesia government.. Malaysians so ignorance about pollution..
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 08:31
I think malaysia do not have a street  protest on the haze issue cause Indonesia but they ask Lee Kuan Yew to apology just for a small issue   ,maybe you are right ,cahaya,malaysia are closer to Indonesia than Singapore  .
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 08:14

thanks for the responses..

Originally posted by Mr. Fly

If asked, I would think most Malaysians, regardless of their ethnic background, would see Singapore as their closest friend and ally (correct me if I am wrong Cahaya) and the Singaporeans would probably have the same feelings about their Malaysian cousins (Snowybeagle, if you see this thread, correct me if I am wrong).

This is very hard to answer.. if u ask me personally... the relation between these two coutries.. i just cant see any significant reasons for Malaysia to concern so much about it.. whether in regard of economy, technology, or political affairs. It just like.. a responsiblity tht u need to carry because of the past.. and due to history relation.. Maybe for those who have family or relative in Singapore, they might feel the bondage..

Originally posted by Mr. Fly also said..

I would even think that Malaysians in general may have a more positive perception of Singapore than Indonesia.

Not really... the relationship between Malaysia and Indonesia not tht controversial except the previous confrontation by Indonesia due to formation of Malaysia as an independent country. ... wht do u think rodimus?

If u want to knw the best relation Malaysia has is with Brunei Darussalam.. Their King just married.. Sultan Hasanal Bolkiah .. and his second wife is a Malaysian.. lol...

Originally posted by Omar

hmm, given that, what? Half, three quarters of Singapore island is water catchment, and the amount of rain that singapore receives, I'm rather surprised that singapore has to buy water from malaysia.

because of the price... it's USD$ 0.8 cent per gallon..(not even equal to USD$0.01).. get wht i mean? rather thn to filter the salt water and spend million of dollars.. why need to bother.. with the cheapest water supply...

Edited by cahaya - 09-Nov-2006 at 08:17
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 04:11

One of the biggest issues nowadays is Water Supply Dispute. Until now it is yet to be settled.

It's an agreement of water price which being supplied by Malaysia to Singapore.. the current price is.

hmm, given that, what? Half, three quarters of Singapore island is water catchment, and the amount of rain that singapore receives, I'm rather surprised that singapore has to buy water from malaysia.
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 21:26
I can say singapore get expelled from malaysia in 1965 because Lee kuan Yew want the malaysia malaysian concept which was reject by the malaysia then ,singapore want to end  bumiputra special right  which was reject by umno ,singapore are more closer to the west  like usa and israel and malaysia more closer to the east like japan and arab states  and majority of malaysia are malay and majority of singapore are chinese ,anyways they are more closer now i hope .

Edited by rodimus prime - 08-Nov-2006 at 21:27
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 19:25

All in all, thanks to the close historical and social ties between these two countries, the relations between them remain essentially quite cordial as far as I know despite some of the problematic issues that Cahaya raises in her post. If asked, I would think most Malaysians, regardless of their ethnic background, would see Singapore as their closest friend and ally (correct me if I am wrong Cahaya) and the Singaporeans would probably have the same feelings about their Malaysian cousins (Snowybeagle, if you see this thread, correct me if I am wrong). I would even think that Malaysians in general may have a more positive perception of Singapore than Indonesia. I would characterize the relation between the two countries a symbiotic one, one that benefits both.

Having said that, like between any two neighbours or even between two siblings, disputes and occasional quarrels are inevitable.

On one hand, I think some Singaporeans may have a rather condescending attitude towards Malaysia even though the very survival of Singapore, a country entirely without natural resources, is dependent on Malaysia. Such an attitude (which is not directed just to Malaysia but to its much less wealthy neighbours too) is the almost inevitable consequence of long-term prosperity of this city state. When you realize that the income discrepancy between you and everyone around you is so huge, it takes a lot NOT to act in an arrogant manner.  

On the other hand, exactly because of this discrepancy in wealth and standard of living, even though Malaysia is not poor, some Malaysians must eye the Singaporeans with a sense of envy or jealousy. After all, Singapore could have well been a Malaysian city if history had not turned out the way it did. (Actually one could also ask the question of, "What if Singapore had stayed within the Malaysian Federation. Would it have been able to achieve what it has achieved today?")  

One also has to remember that Singapore left the Malaysian Federation in 1965 not exactly on the most friendly terms. Singapore was expelled from the Federation after heated ideological conflict with the Federal Government in Kuala Lumpur. I wonder if some Singaporeans still bear a grudge against that.     
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 15:23

History shows how close the relation between Malaysia and Singapore..
Nonetheless, the relation between bth countries are mixed with various discrepencies and dispute incidents.. nonetheless.. respect and tolerence between these two still keep on remaining..

refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_in_Malaysia for Singapore history in Malaysia..

Malaysia & Singapore relations issues

One of the biggest issues nowadays is Water Supply Dispute. Until now it is yet to be settled.

It's an agreement of water price which being supplied by Malaysia to Singapore.. the current price is..

1.4 Singapore cents or 0.8 US cent to pay for 1000 gallons of water

for more info: http://www.singapore-window.org/sw03/030721ns.htm

On top of that, Malaysian decision to abandon the construction of a controversial bridge to Singapore.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4902164.stm

In addition, a series of smaller scale disputes also continue to plague the region, such as between Malaysia and Singapore over the Johor causeway, rival claims for the rocky islet of Batu Puteh or Pedra Branca, which is currently held by Singapore, Singapore's use of Malaysian airspace, Malaysia's railway land in Singapore ...

Post Reply Post Reply