Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Government and Power in the First Bulgarian Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government and Power in the First Bulgarian Empire
    Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 21:21
Well, I support the following theory:
The term "kniaz" was not modernized-it was the original title оf the Bulgarian rulers, just the transcription and
pronouncing were changed to a degree.
For sure the very first source was in "Proto-Bulgarian", but It was translated in Church Slavonic (let's call it directly Old Bulgarian). I can't see any reasons between these two stages to be included a greek or whatever foreign sorce. The person was certainly familiar with "Proto-Bulgarian" language (very doubtful that a Greek, could possess such knowledge), calendar, titles etc. It was a domestic Bulgarian affair. Probably during the fall of the Ist Bulgarian empire the Greeks could have found the document they've used for a source, or it could be directly obtained by the Russians with other bulgarian church books during their christianisation.    
There was no original source (atleast I can't reffer to such ) for the usage of Han/Khan-so the title was "borrowed".
The official theory says that Boris I changed his title from a khan to kniaz after the Christianization (864).
For what purpose changing one pagan title with another(both equivalent to the greek(=christian) archont)?
I think such "pre-qualification" didn't occur at all (atleast I don't know it mentioned in an original document). There alreаdy had been christian Bulgarian rulers-like Kubrat, so that wasn't a precedent.    
When was the first official ruler with the title kniaz mentioned? Wasn't the Kievan Oleg (882 - 912)? If that's true why not the "slavic" rulers to obtain the Bulgarian title?(Just like happened with Tsar) The version that kniaz is comming from konig or konung was probably due to dominating theory among the Russian historians (the first professionals that Peter The Great found were Germans) of Scandinavian origin of the first Kievan princes (at that time very little was known about the Bulgarian history).
When did the Bulgarian rule over present day South Ukraine ended? Wasn't there left any influence from the Bulgarian state, strenghtened with the christianisation?
The hypothetical claims of Sviatoslav I for the Bulgarian throne could be also connected to the issue.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 11:54
I have a question to the Greek speaking members here:
How would you translate the following inscription?

Ε ΚΑΝ[Α] ΠΟΛΑΔΥ[Ν]ΑΤΟΣ

Edited by NikeBG - 06-Dec-2006 at 12:03
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 18:24
Originally posted by NikeBG

The original source was most probably either on Proto-Bulgarian (with Greek letters) or on Greek, inscribed on stone columns.

Some facts about translations:
There is a Greek version of this documents which seemsto be earlier than Russian one. Some authors used this as a proof that original document was Greek. Other authors point to several "Bulgarisms" in the Russian text and suppose tht this is because translation from the Bulgarian language. I read this in Chilingirov's lectures.   
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 13:27
This is about the Nominalia, right?
Btw, can anyone have a suggestion how the above inscription should be translated? Or should I just give you the one from Prof. Ovcharov's book?
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 05:49
Ok, since none of the Greek speakers seems to dare to try and translate the Ε ΚΑΝ[Α] ΠΟΛΑΔΥ[Ν]ΑΤΟΣ inscription, I'll just give Prof. Ovcharov's translation, based on Beshevliev's works: "[In the name] of the most powerful (or allmighty) khan". I guess "E" should mean "[in the name] of", "KAN[A]" is "khan" and "ΠΟΛΑΔΥ[Ν]ΑΤΟΣ" is "allmighty". On that picture you can see also three names, which are transliterated here as Negyun, Pumir and the Greek Petros (i.e. Petar). This inscription was found on the wall of a building near the Small Palace in Pliska. Anyway, it's considered that it's an inscription made by an ordinary man (i.e. not an official inscription) somewhere else, which was later moved at the location where it was found and we can also see that it doesn't use the official titulature of "kanasubigi". Yet, if it does mean "allmighty khan", then we can also presume that "kanasubigi" are two separate words - "kana" and "subigi", from which the latter is an adjective describing the khan.
What do you think about it?

Edited by NikeBG - 20-Dec-2006 at 05:52
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 11:12
"ΠΟΛΑΔΥ[Ν]ΑΤΟΣ" is "allmighty"
You are right here,from the words: ΠΟΛΥ(poly)=much and ΔΥΝΑΤΟΣ(dynatos)=mighty

"KAN[A]" is "khan"
Yes,but the A after KAN isn't needed.

I guess "E" should mean "[in the name] of"
Hmm.I don't think it makes sense this way,if it was
"ΕΚ ΚΑΝ ΠΟΛΥΔΥΝΑΤΟΥ" it would and would mean what you guessed.Maybe the man who wrote it wasn't a very good greek-speaker,maybe a bulgarian and made this mistake.
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by Patrinos

"KAN[A]" is "khan"
Yes,but the A after KAN isn't needed.

Actually this "A" is needed since in inscriptions in Greek the title of Bulgarian ruller is KANAS.

Edited by Anton - 21-Dec-2006 at 17:46
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 17:49

Yet, if it does mean "allmighty khan", then we can also presume that "kanasubigi" are two separate words - "kana" and "subigi", from which the latter is an adjective describing the khan.
What do you think about it?

Some people translate it as "KNIAZ U BOGA" --  "KNES by GOD".  This is more convincing Wink
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 17:50
I've seen “ΧΑΓΑΝΟΣ”=‘khaghan’ used to reffer to bulgarian and avar lords but never "KANAS" version,I don't know where you found it...
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 18:14
Ε ΚΑΝ[Α] ΠΟΛΑΔΥ[Ν]ΑΤΟΣ    Some historians tend not to mention some symbols when they don't want to. The whole inscription is:

_I_ E I C A N   '' O Л A / У A I O C 

We have four unknown symbols: _I_  IC "" and /
Sorry,I don't have Greek alphabeth in my computer. IC authors read as K. It's OK, "/" they read as delata which also become OK, after looking at the whole word that is close to Greek "allmighty". 
 '' they read is Pi which also seems to be true. But why is this _I_ not considered? Could it be simple "T" written in a wrong way? If one accepts this then _I_EICAN could be read asTA[R]KAN"

This is just a proposition, of course. But it is amazing how important is to find word "KHAN" for the official Bulgarian historical science. Sometimes it is really difficult to find black cat in the dark room.  Geek
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 18:16
Originally posted by Patrinos

I've seen ΧΑΓΑΝΟΣ=khaghan used to reffer to bulgarian and avar lords but never "KANAS" version,I don't know where you found it...

Avar but not Bulgarian. KANASUBIGI or KANAS UVIGI is found in Bulgarian inscriptions in Greek:

etc.

Edited by Anton - 21-Dec-2006 at 18:22
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 19:22
Actually I am not right. Word Kagan is met in on of the Bulgarian Chronicles (Apokrifen Letopis). And if I am not mistaken I met it also in Dukla's Chronicle.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 08:02
Originally posted by Anton

Ε ΚΑΝ[Α] ΠΟΛΑΔΥ[Ν]ΑΤΟΣ    Some historians tend not to mention some symbols when they don't want to. The whole inscription is:

_I_ E I C A N   '' O Л A / У A I O C 

We have four unknown symbols: _I_  IC "" and /
Sorry,I don't have Greek alphabeth in my computer. IC authors read as K. It's OK, "/" they read as delata which also become OK, after looking at the whole word that is close to Greek "allmighty". 
 '' they read is Pi which also seems to be true. But why is this _I_ not considered? Could it be simple "T" written in a wrong way? If one accepts this then _I_EICAN could be read asTA[R]KAN"

This is just a proposition, of course. But it is amazing how important is to find word "KHAN" for the official Bulgarian historical science. Sometimes it is really difficult to find black cat in the dark room.  Geek

Yes, except that "I C" is not "I C", but it's "K", at least according to Prof. Ovcharov. I don't have the book at hand right now, but I remember two grounds for this:
1. It's a well known tendence in early medieval Bulgaria to write "K" with distant I and C. This is not the only case...
2. In the inscription there are two more times, when an actual C has been written and it's clearly seen that it's a rounded C. While the "I C" (which is a "K") is angled as in the right part of "K" is.
About the "up-down T" - what would TE KAN[A] ... mean then?
And, btw, it seems that the A at then end of KAN is necessary, since it's also in the official title of "KANASUBIGI", i.e. "kana subigi" where "subigi" is a not certain Bulgar adjective. However, it's not "kanas ubigi" or any other form of "kanas" (as in knez or whatever), as we see from that incription that it's just "kan[a]" and not "kanas". Oh, and "knez u bogu" is on Slavic, while "kanasubigi" is supposed to be Bulgar...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 13:31

Yes, except that "I C" is not "I C", but it's "K", at least according to Prof. Ovcharov.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I wrote that it is OK.

About the "up-down T" - what would TE KAN[A] ... mean then?

I don't know, just supposed that it could be TARKAN. Could be not of course.

Oh, and "knez u bogu" is on Slavic, while "kanasubigi" is supposed to be Bulgar...

It depends on who were Bulgars. If they were turkic tribes there will be one explanation (Kana subigi). If some suppose they were of tribes close to Slavs, I am sure you heard about those theories, then he will read it as "Knes u boga". Typical example that linguistics is not very usefull in determnation of the origins. Because it uses too much historical data.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 20:26
Hi everyone,

I noticed someone mentioned Krums laws.. I would like to point out that some recent historians have a renewed view on this issue. The standpoint is that Krum didnt create the laws of the Bulgarian state, but was rather a strict follower of the laws established by his forefathers. He may have enhanced the laws or modified some, but he didnt create them. It seems that these laws had existed among the Bulgars long before Krums reign. If they didnt, then the political and military organization of the Bulgars wouldnt have been as strong as it was. Meaning that, immediately after the fall of Old Great Bulgaria, the Bulgars established two Bulgarian states (one at the Volga and one at the Danube) that appeared to be superior to most of their neighbors in internal, political and military organization. A mindset to create such organized states, almost instantly, doesnt just appear out of nowhere. It is developed and practiced for centuries in advance before a strong product is produced. So, the Bulgars must have had a very strict law system in effect to have been able to sustain their organization of state.. especially considering the fact that both had strong rivals to compete with, notably the East Roman Empire and Danubian Bulgaria.
Where as the East Roman writers were creating a compilation of texts that were supposed to demonstrate that even though Krum was a savage and a barbarian, he was nevertheless a great statesman. The fact that he devastated the East Roman army and created a silver lined drinking cup from the emperors skull, while expanding the Bulgar territories south by taking Trace, was known and discussed for another 150 years by the citizens of the East Roman Empire.

Regarding the title of Khan, as far as I know there is no, primary document or record that directly assigns the title of Khan to the Bulgar rulers. It seems that the title of Khan is used by more recent historians for comfort. i.e. the title Khan was picked solely for explanatory purposes of a particular time period. In a similar way more recent historians used/use the term Byzantium to refer to the East Roman Empire, to designate the time period after the split from the west. East Romans, however, were not known as Byzantines, but rather as Romans or Romeioi. So, Khan was probably picked as to depict the Bulgar rulers during the time period shortly after they had overthrown the foreign rule of Turkic tribes in Scythia.
Regarding the title Tsar, there are a couple of theories that are very similar. One states that it was directly derived from the title of Caesar while the other claims that Tsar was derived from the German Kaiser, which itself was derived from Caesar. So I dont understand why some of you state that Tsar is a Slavic title when in fact its a Bulgar term derived from the Romans or Germans. The term, as you have mentioned, later traveled to Slavic nations.

Regarding the form of rule within the First Bulgarian Empire, it appears to have been an autocracy. While, during the Second Bulgarian Empire, there is a shift toward a feudal system similar to that used in Western Europe. This was most likely influenced by the Latin crusaders. And it appears that this shift to feudalism weakened the Second Bulgarian Empire as it was divided amongst three of the relatives/descendants of the Tsar.

Edited by Kavkan - 23-Dec-2006 at 20:32
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 07:37

If some suppose they were of tribes close to Slavs, I am sure you heard about those theories...

Well, honestly, I don't remember hearing such theories so far. I remember about theories that Slavs actually don't exist and are a manipulation, created by Russia, but that the Bulgars were Slavs - none so far. Do you know any author or site, which claims such a thing? Eventually a link?

Btw, Kavkan (welcome to the forum), IIRC, цар is derived from цьсар, not from kaiser. The very sound of the German Kaiser is quite far both from цар and from цьсар. I am not sure, however, is it derived from the Latin Caesar or from the Greek kesar, as (IMHO) it's equally close by sound to both.
Another interesting example is the more modern Slavic "title" "kral", which means exactly "king", used mainly for Western kings. IIRC, it's derived from the Slavic form of the name of Charlemagne - "Karl". However, I'm not entirely sure about that since the first example, which I remember, of "kral" being used is around the middle/end of the 14th c. - Krali Marko/Marko Kraljevic, which is quite far from Charlemagne's times.

Edited by NikeBG - 24-Dec-2006 at 07:38
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 07:51
Hm...it smells like a confrontation of a Thracian with a Slav in Bulgaria!Tongue
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 12:32
Originally posted by Brainstorm

Hm...it smells like a confrontation of a Thracian with a Slav in Bulgaria!Tongue

This statement, smells like  statement of a person who forgot to think a bit before joking. Wink 
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 12:44

Well, honestly, I don't remember hearing such theories so far. I remember about theories that Slavs actually don't exist and are a manipulation, created by Russia, but that the Bulgars were Slavs - none so far. Do you know any author or site, which claims such a thing? Eventually a link?

Everybody search for long hand from Moscow Smile Names are: Gantcho Tsenoff, Asen Chillingirov and George Sotiroff.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 05:39

If some suppose they were of tribes close to Slavs, I am sure you heard about those theories...

Btw, Kavkan (welcome to the forum), IIRC, цар is derived from цьсар, not from kaiser. The very sound of the German Kaiser is quite far both from цар and from цьсар. I am not sure, however, is it derived from the Latin Caesar or from the Greek kesar, as (IMHO) it's equally close by sound to both.
Another interesting example is the more modern Slavic "title" "kral", which means exactly "king", used mainly for Western kings. IIRC, it's derived from the Slavic form of the name of Charlemagne - "Karl". However, I'm not entirely sure about that since the first example, which I remember, of "kral" being used is around the middle/end of the 14th c. - Krali Marko/Marko Kraljevic, which is quite far from Charlemagne's times.
"Kral" is also king in Turkish, its also "kyraly" in Hungarian.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>