Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Government and Power in the First Bulgarian Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government and Power in the First Bulgarian Empire
    Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 13:21
If Tsar and Emperor are synonyms,then Tsardom and Empire are a same thing.

When Ferdinand became Tsar in 1908,Bulgaria became tsardom,not kingdom.On the other hand Bulgaria was not a big country and it is ridiculous to call it Empire.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 13:38
That's one of the tricky things - in modern times, among the Slavic nations like Bulgarians and Russians (at least I'm sure for the first), there is no difference between "Slavic king" and "Slavic emperor" - they're all "tsar". Sometimes we also used to call (especially in the older commie times) the western kings as "tsars" and pretty much all Christian rulers were "tsars", no matter were they only kings or not. Today there's a bit bigger difference - we call the tsars - tsare, the emperors - imperatori, the basileos - vasilevsi, the kaiser - kaiseri, the western kings - krale and the Slavic kings - either kniaze or tsare. So, today a "tsardom" could mean both an empire AND a kingdom...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 18:00
When did they start using Tzar instead of Khan?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 19:16
Originally posted by Bulldog

When did they start using Tzar instead of Khan?

Am I correct in answering that this dates from the reign of Khan Tervel. Justinian II bestowed upon him the official title of Caesar for helping him retake Constantinople in 705. Is it correct that after that, the Bulgars used the Slavic "Tsar" - or Caesar in the Byzantine equivilent.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 19:48
From what i know bulgars didnt use the name "Tsar" after Tervel recieved the title Caesar.The first time it was mentioned was when Simeon pronounced himself a TSAR(Emperor).

Very interesting is the fact that during the reign of Omurtag the title Khan is changed.We all know Omurtag,Malamir,Presian and Boris I to be khans,but their real title was Kanas Subigi.Some hisotrians think that and this title means "Emperor" in bulgar's view.
Plato
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 20:00
To correct myself the word Tsar was officially used and documented for first time in 10th century when Peter,son of Simeon received the title Tsar from Byzantine Empire.

The origin of the word tsar is not that complex.It comes from Caesar which sound in old bulgarian Tsaesar and from that appears Tsar.

Bulgarian rulers were first to use the title Tsar.Only two other countries used it.Serbia is the one,but only two serbian rulers were called tsar,Stephan Dusan and his son Stephan Urosh V until his dead in 1371.The socind country which used it is Russia and the first russian tsar is Ivan Grozny(Ivan The Terrible).
Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 15:06
Haha, you're both right and wrong, Constantine! I like to joke about it - that Tervel (my favourite ruler - a really interesting guy) was our first tsar (while "tsar" has never been used by pagan rulers, although there are debates whether Tervel was a Christian or not). And Tervel indeed received the title "kessar" by Justinian II Rinotmet, which AFAIK is the Greek equivalent of the Roman Caesar, which is the root of the Slavic form "tsar". So, in one form, Tervel was indeed a "tsar". But he remained more of a "khan" rather than a "tsar", since he was:
A) Ruler of a Bulgar state (and the attack in 708 clearly showed that all this "kessar" affair was only to make him leave the area of Constantinople and it wasn't for real).
B) He wouldn't use exactly "tsar" since the Slavic element in the ruling elite at that time was still either extremely weak or virtually inexistant.

The first Bulgarian ruler to be called exactly "tsar" is:
A) Kniaz Boris-Mikhail the Convertor, also known in the Church history as St. Tsar Boris (Sveti Tsar Boris).
B) Tsar Simeon - he did claim imperial titles, but IIRC he used the Greek "basileos" in his claims, f.e. "basileos of Bulgarians and Romans".
C) The first Bulgarian ruler, who most definitely received the title "tsar" (and exactly the Slavic "tsar", not the Greek "basileos") was Tsar Petar I.

One correction, Krum: The only ruler's title of the Bulgars, which we know of, is "kanasubigi" (i.e. it's not certain whether it's one word or "kanas ubigi" or "kana subigi" etc.) Otherwise, the Byzantines usually used the titles, which they give to most of the foreign rulers - mostly "archon" or sometimes the Greek word for "sir" ("kirios"? Sorry, it got out of my mind!). Otherwise, the Bulgarian stone-column inscriptions say for these three last "khans": "kanasubigi Omurtag", "kanasubigi Malamir", "kanasubigi Persian", which is definitely a Bulgar title. Some translate it as "great khan", others - "chief commander of the army", third even find a correlation between "kanas" and the Slavic "kniaz" (which makes it not so surprisable that Boris I so quickly moved exactly to "kniaz" after the Conversion). But "kanasubigi" most probably doesn't mean exactly "emperor" as in the Roman/Byzantine sense of the word...
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 16:49
I also know that Celts had a title Kannas(or Cannas)which sound more than similar to the bulgarian title.
I found somewhere that Kannas Subigi can possibly mean a few things:
1) A great knias
2) The knias of the kniases(which some consider is an equivalent of an emperor)
3) A ruler of many peoples(nations)
4) А great khan(from turk) and etc....
Some of them can be accepted as unplausible.

Interesting is that in bulgarian sites i found a two differen spelling and the problem is the letter "S".I dont know if there is diference in translation of Kanas Ubigi and Kana Subigi.
Plato
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 03:36
When was the title khan (han) first applyed to a Bulgar ruler? And why, if there's no orignal historic confirmation? Just, because the dominating theory for the Bulgars origin then was the turkic one and from analogy with other turkic tribes?
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 03:52
No, khan is the title of the Bulgar rulers. Sadly the early (pre-"Old Great Bulgaria") history of the Bulgars is somewhat obscure and controvercial.

The first ruler for which we are absolutely sure that he was titled "khan" is Kubrat in 632 (or 635).

On a side note- what were the titles of the Volga-Bulgar rulers and nobility after Kotrag?   
Unity makes Strenght
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 05:34
Are you sure about Kubrat, Ventzy? For all I know, the Romeans used only their own "titles" for him - "archon" and "patricius".

About the Volga-Bulgar titles, here's a post of mine from some time ago. I'm not sure about its accuracy though. Anyway, the Wiki there says that the titles were at first "iltдbдr (sometimes elteber). After the Islamization his title became sheikh."

Otherwise, Desperado - yes, AFAIK, the main reason why it's accepted that our rulers were "khans" is exactly the dominating Turkic theory. Pretty much the same with the so-called "Tangra", being the Bulgar's God. Some historians were very quick to make conclusions before the communist times, during that and after, up to today. But, sadly, mainly those quick-historians receive the word the most and their views are also established the most both at home and abroad...

Edited by NikeBG - 13-Nov-2006 at 11:51
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 08:00
Originally posted by Burdokva

No, khan is the title of the Bulgar rulers. Sadly the early (pre-"Old Great Bulgaria") history of the Bulgars is somewhat obscure and controvercial.

The first ruler for which we are absolutely sure that he was titled "khan" is Kubrat in 632 (or 635). 

Can you show any inscription or written source related to Bulgarian tribes where word Khan exist?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 09:40
Originally posted by NikeBG

Are you sure about Kubrat, Ventzy? For all I know, the Romeans used only their own "titles" for him - "archon" and "patricius".

About the Volga-Bulgar titles, [url=http://forum.sunflowers.de/showpost.php?p=132723&postcount=201]here's[/rul] a post of mine from some time ago. I'm not sure about its accuracy though. Anyway, the Wiki there says that the titles were at first "iltbr (sometimes elteber). After the Islamization his title became sheikh."

here's is information about elteber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elteber
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 04:46
Kubrat was included in "Именник на Българските канове" (as "Kurt"), and IIRC there was a stone column with his name written on it (though I have to check that one).

It's true that he was titled as a "patricius". There are some rings from the village of Malaya Pereschepina with an inscription "Hubraatu patricius" (there are different spellings and it's still debated which is correct).

Thanks about the link! :)
Unity makes Strenght
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 05:22

Why It's called "Именник на Българските канове", when it's known that there's not included even a single ruler with the title Khan/Han, and the most frequently mentioned title is "Kniaz/Kanas"?

Edited by Desperado - 14-Nov-2006 at 05:27
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 06:28
"the most frequently mentioned title is "Kniaz/Kanas"...
Only kniaz, not kanas. All the surviving remains of the Nominalia are in, IIRC, three Russian transcripts not earlier than the XIV c. So, the title then was kniaz and kniaz was also used there for the Bulgar rulers from the previous ages. Thus, it can't be determined only from the Nominalia what the real Bulgar title was, as it was replaced with the modern one at that time. For this, we need to use other sources. Usually, the best sources are those, which are left from those rulers themselves. And we have three consecutive rulers, who titled themselves as "kanasubigi". For the previous ones - it's not certain what their title was, but because the Turkic thesis was the dominant in the time when our historiography started its real establishment, it was accepted by presumption that the Bulgars were not more and not less than Turkic people, with direct Turkic titles and direct Turkic religion. Despite of the lack of serious and numerous enough clues leading in that direction, of course. But that's what was accepted then, that's what the world heard, that's what's accepted till today - the ruler was a "khan" or at best - a "great khan"...

Edited by NikeBG - 14-Nov-2006 at 06:31
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 07:25
Well, for me the "княз"(infact "КЪН'АЗ") title sounds more like "canas", than "konung"- a probable direct deriative from "canas ubigi". Was the title "княз" common among the western Slavs, who where near the Germans from which "konung" was probably borrowed? I understand the unreliability of that source, but I was not the first that mentioned it. Why the rulers titles were "modernized", but not the years of the beginning of their rule? The exact periods are mentioned and when the time count ended was also known(not more than a centure before the Baptism), why the Christian calendar was not used aswell but a pagan system of dating? All modern documents of that time usually reffered to the following dating (Въ лето господне ..... отъ сътворението на света и лето.... отъ Рождество Христово..) Or just the autors were lazy? With the lack of other sources wsn't just better to accept the mentioned "kniaz", and to connect it directly with the other known title-"kanas ubugi" rather than to borrow a completely foreign one?. The answer of my rhetorical question was that in the particular case the "evidence" was subdued to theory, not the opposite. The question about Tangra is also unclear.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 10:34
I don't really understand what you're asking. Why did the Russians change the old title to their modern kniaz, but they didn't change the Bulgar years and months (like Shegor Tvirem etc.)? Well, to translate the Bulgar calendar, you first need to know it and understand it. And I seriously doubt that the Russians, who transcribed the Nominalia, actually understood what does "Shegor Alem" f.e. mean! That's why they didn't waste their time on trying to check the Internet for that ( ;) ) - they simply left it as it is. But they probably did guess that "kanasubigi" sounds awfully close to their own "kniaz" and they naturally made the connection. Whether it was a right connection or not - I can't say...

P.S. Btw, "konung" is a Nordic title. The German is "koenig" (with o umlaut)...
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 10:51

Originally posted by NikeBG

I don't really understand what you're asking. Why did the Russians change the old title to their modern kniaz, but they didn't change the Bulgar years and months (like Shegor Tvirem etc.)? Well, to translate the Bulgar calendar, you first need to know it and understand it. And I seriously doubt that the Russians, who transcribed the Nominalia, actually understood what does "Shegor Alem" f.e. mean! That's why they didn't waste their time on trying to check the Internet for that ( ;) ) - they simply left it as it is. But they probably did guess that "kanasubigi" sounds awfully close to their own "kniaz" and they naturally made the connection. Whether it was a right connection or not - I can't say...P.S. Btw, "konung" is a Nordic title. The German is "koenig" (with o umlaut)...

I think you understood very well what I'm asking . The Russians didn't translate it from "Proto-Bulgarian" language, the primary source was probably in Old Bulgarian or Greek. I can't see the reason of particular translation of some of the terms but not of all.
    By "German" i meant Germanic, which in fact doesn't change anything.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 12:29
The original source was most probably either on Proto-Bulgarian (with Greek letters) or on Greek, inscribed on stone columns. The first option is more probable, since its "target-group" (if I can say so) was mainly the Bulgar population and not the foreign ambassadors. Of course, now there are no traces of such (eventual) stone columns, but they were transcribed to "books" (Gospels, actually) after the Christianization. They were probably partially translated by the Bulgarian chroniclers then and from there on the Russians later transcribed the Bulgarian translations. Of course, there's the question "Why was one thing (the title) "modernized", while another (the calendar) - not?" I would personally answer - the title could be adjusted more easily. And perhaps the original Bulgar title (or at least the "kanasubigi" one) might have been pretty much equal to the later "kniaz". But to "modernize" the Bulgar calendar to a Christian one - now that's a really hard thing. The Bulgar calendar is more or less like the Chinese one - with 12 animalistic cycles. While the Christian one is one a pretty different system with all these indiktions etc. So, basically the Bulgarian "translators" could've thought "Ok, we can translate kanasubigi to kniaz. But what do we do with these datings? That's a very different time format than our new one! Oh, well, we'll just leave them as they are..." ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>