Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Empire in Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Empire in Movies
    Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 13:35
About the greek films:
Greece as a capitalist state did not fund movies. All movies were made with private investments (and thus low).
Also, the mentality of the greek cinematographers was (and is) totally different to historical movies.
Greek movies of the '80s were (awfull) copies of the american b movies. There is a very rich list of greek b movies. Splatters, commedies every kind.

In previous decades ('60s and '70s), when the interest for history was bigger, as said, movies were made for the independence war (1821-1830), and WWII (1940-1944). Some, lame ones, were also made for classical Greece.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 09:11
Ok, I've managed to convert all the three DVDs on another computer. Now I only need to move them this one, to cut the scenes and upload them...
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 09:55
I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be having this conversation had Byzantium been synonymous with Catholicism.

Originally posted by Spartakus

The thing is that there is no serious reason for not showing.I mean,for example ,Persia is not shown in Hollywood movies,and when it does the outcome is awfull.But there is a reason behind it:Modern Day bad political/diplomatic relations between Iran and USA.Ok,i can understand that.But what has the Byzantine Empire  done to the West,except than flourishing it with it's civilization?Unless the Catholic Church does not want a movie about the glory of a Christian Orthodox Empire.I cannot imagine other reasons.

Clap  You hit the nail on the head!!

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think the Zionists have something to do with it too. lol Tongue

"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 10:02
As I promised, I'm uploading the first clip - "Crossing the Danube". Two more are ready and waiting to be uploaded - "Building the fort" (a short one) and the famous "Imperial March". You can check my YouTube profile to see what's been uploaded so far...
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 18:22
there are many Turkish films about Byzantium.but you guys probably will not like them they are like mandarins of the east europan cinema!!( Kara Murat )
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 15:11
"mandarins of the east europan cinema"? What would that mean?

Btw, I've already uploaded even three parts from the first day of battle (around two clips more are left)...
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 16:06
Good job NikeBG
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 12:09
I only hope if they ever make a movie (and this is even further stretching the wishful thinking this thread is about) that they would refer to the Empire as the East (or Eastern) Roman Empire.

Call the inhabitants Greek if they want (as they did back then), but refer to the Empire as "Roman" (as they did back then).**

They probably will not do this, so I can only hope that at the very least, call it the "Eastern half of the ancient Roman Empire" in the prologue to give people the tie-in.

**(Thinking about this sentence, maybe "Greco-Roman Empire" would have been a better name than "Byzantine" as it would have kept the Roman identity, but showing the Greek character......)

Edited by Jazz - 25-Nov-2006 at 12:14
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 19:12
Watching your uploads now BGnike !!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 21:10
I just watched the video on NikeBG's youtube link, that was amazing. Without computer enhancements, how did they arrange for so many thousands of men to participate in the scenes? That would cost any director today millions of dollars, I find it amazing.
Greek Hoplite View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Greek Hoplite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 23:22

I m impressed by the battle's magnitude in the movie and by the costumes and by the number of men that participate in the battles. The director who made this movie is famous in Bulgaria? I suppose he s from your top directors.

Edited by Greek Hoplite - 26-Nov-2006 at 23:23
My blog
http://mankap.blogspot.com/
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 14:47
Oh, I just remembered this when I was going through my DVD collection.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (with Sean Connery) had 2 references to the Byzantine Empire.  One simply called it "the Eastern Empire" and the other referring to the 4th Crusade as "the sack of Byzantium".
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 15:15
Great uploads, NikeBG. I found the armor/uniform/equipment particularly accurate, a good feat for what seems to be an average/low budget Bulgarian movie. If hollywood, with their hundreds of millions of $$, only showed the same respect for historical accuracy...
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 15:41
Originally posted by konstantinius

Great uploads, NikeBG. I found the armor/uniform/equipment particularly accurate, a good feat for what seems to be an average/low budget Bulgarian movie. If hollywood, with their hundreds of millions of $$, only showed the same respect for historical accuracy...

I was thinking the same thing.  The armor and uniforms look amazing, but I am a bit unsure about the accuracy of the muscle cuirasses and "Spartan"-like helmets.  However, they seemed to appear on the Byzantine officers, who probably would have worn them as parade armor.  What time period and battle is this movie depicting?

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 27-Nov-2006 at 15:44
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 01:43
The year is 680 AD,and the battle is the battle for Onguls.Bulgars defeated the army of Constantine IV and bulgarian state was established.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 11:50
Thanks for the compliments!
The 50 000 real extras are not all that strange - don't forget that the movie was made still in commie times and many of these extras are actual soldiers (recruits) from the Bulgarian army. But it's still a pretty big thing...
As for the accuracy - well, I read that they hired a whole team of historians to keep track of that, although they still had some mistakes. Like f.e. in the first or second DVD there was a scene where the Bulgars were training their riding and fighting skills, but instead of watermelons, they were hacking pumpking, which weren't known to them yet. Oh, and now I'm watching "Tsar Ioan Asen II's weddings" - interesting movie, I'd say more artistic than historic, the movie in whose shootings Apostol Karamitev died, so he's in only some parts of the movie. Anyway, here are some screenshots. What was very interesting for me was this screen with the "icon-shields". Do you know if any of the Byzantine successor states have used such shields in the middle of the XIIIc.?
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 15:32
No idea. Were they carried into battle or just ceremonial?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 14:15
i would cut off my right hand if that what it would take to get a movie made about the Fall of Constantinople.

i would slit my other wrist if it was as poorly produced as Troy was.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 04:19
Originally posted by konstantinius

No idea. Were they carried into battle or just ceremonial?

Ah, I watched the whole movie and I think that the shields, like most of the other costumes and make-ups, are a rather "artistic view" than a historical one. Well, at least it gave me some inspiration for an eventual future fantasy book... Smile

Edit: This is about "Ioan Asen II's Weddings", not about "Khan Asparuh".

Edited by NikeBG - 17-Dec-2006 at 23:29
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 11:03
What about the chariot, I just wonder were they still used even for ceremonial purposes as late as VIIth century?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>