Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine-Bulgarian Relations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine-Bulgarian Relations
    Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 05:03
Bo, please stick to the point of the thread! What you do is against forum policy and continuing to do so may/will result to an official warning or worse.

If you want to discuss modern day Bulgaria, do that in the appropriate thread and if you cannot find one, then please start it yourself!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 08:55
Originally posted by Βο     

i am writting this here because mainly consists from bulgars.as you know a greek student killed in Filipoupoli two days ago by a bulgarian on the same age.five or six years ago i visited your country for things related with my job,across the road many time stopped us for food,people who were completely hungry.on the other hand many moretimes policemen stopped us for a reason which even them didn t know and asked from us money in order to not take our drive license.unfortunately your country is completely insecure and you have to do a lot of things to improve it.above from disscussions which are about bulgarian empires in the past..

Off topic:

The Greek student was not killed because he was greek.It was a quarrel between two drunk young men for a girl.The typical man stupidity.And the result of the scandal was that the bulgarian stabbed the greek student.From your post i have an impression that you think that Bulgaria is absolutely disgusting country where greeks are hated.There are murders in every country.And 6 years ago corruption was bigger than today.If you want to know now Bulgaria is much better country to live.This is my opinion.

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 09:05
We talk about Bulgarian-Byzantine realtions.Then lets mention bulgatian ruler Tsar Kaloyan.In the beginning greeks were his allies,but then everything changed.And Kaloyan defeated them just like everyone else.I want to know about Kaloyan sieges of Thessaloniki.I say sieges because i know that he besieged the city two times.The first one was(i cant remember the year)with he cooperation of greeks and Kaloyan even capture the outer city but then he allow the greeks to conquer the city alone but they were defeated by latins.I want to know if this information is correct.

Plato
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 00:31
Seeing how we're going to start about Kaloyan,does anyone have a document which says how much were the crusaders he crushed at Adrianople on April 14 1205?

And is it true that a western auhor(don't know the name) wrote that "the beauty of the western knighthood" disappeared there?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 01:38
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

Seeing how we're going to start about Kaloyan,does anyone have a document which says how much were the crusaders he crushed at Adrianople on April 14 1205?

And is it true that a western auhor(don't know the name) wrote that "the beauty of the western knighthood" disappeared there?

Geoffrey de Villehardouin I think is this author you are thinking of. It is true that a great deal of the best Latin knights were killed at Adrianople, whilst King Baldwin himself was taken prisoner. After the battle, the survivors raced back to Constantinople and only the calm leadership of the Venetian Doge was able to hold together the Latin forces. But Ionnitsa failed to follow up his victory due to his sheer brutality. While he wanted to make himself king of the Bulgars and Greeks, he butchered so many Greeks that the Greeks themselves were willing to side with the Latins.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 01:59
I didnt know that Kaloyan wanted to make himself tsar of Bulgars and Greeks.He started killing greeks because of their betrayal.It was only a brutal revenge.But his main enemy were still latins.For example the second siege of Thessaloniki.First Kaloyan were besieging Adrionople but when he learned about the death of Boniface of Montferrat the moved his forces to Thessaloniki which was in the hands of latins.
Plato
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 03:09
Originally posted by Krum

I didnt know that Kaloyan wanted to make himself tsar of Bulgars and Greeks.He started killing greeks because of their betrayal.It was only a brutal revenge.But his main enemy were still latins.=

The title "Tzar of Bulgarians and Greeks/Romaioi" was rather a title showing his ambitions:To rule to the regions inhabited by these people.
The same was for Stephan Dusan "Kral of Serbians and Greeks/Romeoi"
or even Mehmet II (!) "Sultan of Turks and Rum"

What was "the betrayal" of the Greeks?
In fact Greeks turned against him because of the looting and plundering by his troops.They were composed mostly by Vlachs and Cumans -for them looting was part of their living and they didnt make any defference between Greeks and Latins.
Greeks then called Ioannitzes ,"Skyloyiannis"(Dog John) and when it was murdered during the siege by a general of his army ,a rumor was spread: St.Demetrios himself the protector of the city,killed him.

Edited by Brainstorm - 09-Dec-2006 at 03:12
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 03:50

Geoffrey de Villehardouin I think is this author you are thinking of. It is true that a great deal of the best Latin knights were killed at Adrianople, whilst King Baldwin himself was taken prisoner.

Thanks for giving the name i found somethingBig smile:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/villehardouin.html

"We have lost the Emperor Baldwin and Count Louis, and the larger part of our people, and of the best. Now let us bethink ourselves how to save what is left. For if God does not take pity of them, we are but lost."

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 09-Dec-2006 at 03:51
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 03:52
Greeks didnt turned against him because of his army looting.They did it because his power grew up and he became a threat for them.And Kaloyan also call himself Rōmaioktonos ("Romanslayer"), as a counter-derivative from Basil II's Boulgaroktonos ("Bulgarslayer").

But it is a fact that Kaloyan was the most powerful ruler on the Balkans and he was never defeated in a battle.I mean he was great military leader.And if it wasnt his murder i dont want to guess what would happen.
Plato
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 09:39
What is "Bulgaropolis" from the memoirs of Villehardouin?
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 09:50
May be it is a city.
Plato
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 09:54
Most likely Smile Which one?
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 11:32
Originally posted by Krum

Greeks didnt turned against him because of his army looting.They did it because his power grew up and he became a threat for them.

A threat for whom?
I mean,Greeks who were with him and then turned against him ,were under latin occupation.Peasants,farmers and citizens who preferred first his rule rather this of the crusaders.
So,there wasn't any threat by just his rule.

His power could be a threat for the free Greek Monarchies of Epirus and Nicea,but it was too early for this:their primary aim was to stand up to the latins.

@Anton
R u sure for "Bulgaropolis" ?
There was a town in Eastern Thrace called "Bulgarofygon" (Feugo=leave,run away), probably in a site of a battle between Byzantines and Bulgarians.

Edited by Brainstorm - 09-Dec-2006 at 11:35
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 14:39
"Then did Geoffry the Marshal move forward, and Manasses of l'Isle, and their people, and they rode on, and came to the city of Arcadiopolis, and quartered themselves therein. There they remained a day, and then moved to a city called Bulgaropolis"
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 14:46
There was a town in Eastern Thrace called "Bulgarofygon" (Feugo=leave,run away), probably in a site of a battle between Byzantines and Bulgarians.

This is a city where Simeon defeated Byzantines in 896.
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 10:45
Originally posted by Anton

Most likely Smile Which one?

The first battle took place probably  during reign of  Leo III or Constantine V-a victory for Byzantines.
I thin kSimeon's victory was in 893.
Also in 1089 Patzinaks defeated a Byzantine general,before they were destroyed in Levounion in 1092 by Alexius.

It lies 26 km east of Adrianople ,where was "Bourtoudizos" an ancient Thracian town,and today Baba-eski (A turkish village)
Boulgarofygon had a fortress,and there was a site of a Bishop (since 787).

Edited by Brainstorm - 10-Dec-2006 at 10:47
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 10:49
Just found!
Boulgarofygon is named "Botirgaroflc" by Villeardouin.
So maybe it's different then!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by Brainstorm

[QUOTE=Anton]
Boulgarofygon had a fortress,and there was a site of a Bishop (since 787).

So, probably that is why there were so many battles around it. It seemed to be strategically important city.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 20:02
I always believed that Krum drank whatever he drank from that bloody cup but today I found surprising thing. It seems that Theophanes described this story as follows:

"And Krum, cut the head of Nicephorus put it on a stick and showed it for several months to coming nations and for our shame. After that took the skull, binded it with argentum, and, being proud, forced Slavonic chiefs to drink from it" Sorry for ugly translation.

Here is Greek text with Bulgarian translation:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567