Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine-Bulgarian Relations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine-Bulgarian Relations
    Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 07:34
They choke him because only in that way they wouldnt spill his blood and if that happened his power wouldn't be preserved to his descendants.

Ottomans and selcuks have same  tradition too. Blood of royalty should not be spilled.(Dont know why  are they doing it.)
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 10:46
Originally posted by Anton

What about Kan Kubrat's and Old Great Bulgaria time? It seems that both countries didn't have big problems at that time.

At that time Bulgaria and Byzantine Empire were even allies.I think most of you know that Kubrat was educated in Constantinople,was a personal and very close friend to Iraklius and he was also a christian.   
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 02:23
Originally posted by nikodemos

No wonder why the Greeks called the Bulgars sometimes Scythians

Our first lands were far away from those tribes.Look at the mountain range of Tyan Shan-one of it's mountains is called Khan Tengri and the proto-bulgar god is Tangra!!!
How will you explain that?Names don't just pop out like this.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Oct-2006 at 03:12
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:24
Ludovik, Tengri is God of almost any turkic tribe. For example word Tengri means God in Jakutian (Sakha).
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:23

What about Kan Kubrat's and Old Great Bulgaria time? It seems that both countries didn't have big problems at that time.

Sometimes the very persuasive Byzantine influence on the Bulgars was enough to create a friendship between the two nations. Byzantine court ceremonies and diplomatic strength were often successful in convincing their more militant neighbours to have a peaceful relationship.

I think it is fair to say that most of the time Byzantium and the Bulgars were at peace, though when war did break out it could be very destructive and could extend over vast areas of the Balkans.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:27
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Sometimes the very persuasive Byzantine influence on the Bulgars was enough to create a friendship between the two nations. Byzantine court ceremonies and diplomatic strength were often successful in convincing their more militant neighbours to have a peaceful relationship.

I think it is fair to say that most of the time Byzantium and the Bulgars were at peace, though when war did break out it could be very destructive and could extend over vast areas of the Balkans.

Agree. In my personal opinion the major thing that allowed Byzantines to defeat such many enemies were excelent diplomatic skills of their rullers.  
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:23
Here's something very interesting i found.It was written at Ravena 2 centuries before 681(when Bulgaria was created):

Inter vero Thraciam vel Macedoniam et Mysiam inferiorem modo Bulgari habitant'.
Ravennati Cosmographus, IV, 6.

Can somebody here read latin?

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 29-Oct-2006 at 16:25
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:29
Another:

"Two nations collided, to which retreat has never been helpful in battle. Both the Goths and the Bulgarians are surprised that people like them could be found and that among the mankind they could find an adversary equal to themselves They, the Bulgarians, which never doubted in their victory and from which the world was astonished! This is the nation that before you had everything it wanted a nation, which acquired titles, which bought its nobility with the blood of its enemy. A nation, in which the battlefield glorifies the family, because by them, without hesitation, the nobler is considered he, whose weapon is more blood-stained in battle. Earlier, they the Bulgarians believed that the world is opened for them, but now they think that closed for them is only that part of the land, which you keep!"
Patriarch Magnus Felix Enodius from Eulogy for the Gothic king Teodorikh, 486 AD

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 29-Oct-2006 at 16:36
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:36
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

Another:

"The bulgars-these were the people who had everything they wanted.
They believed that the world was created for them,
they never doubted in achieving victory,
these were the people which the world admired"

Magnus Felix Enodius 486

That was said after defeat of Bulgarians by Gots Smile
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:39
It doesn't matter i posted it for the other guys to receive a better view of the bulgars.Btw i found two translations to it and now i edited it and posted the full text.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 29-Oct-2006 at 16:40
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:42
More:

The Bulgarians are a huge, mighty and warlike people, that have subdued all their neighboring nations. One horseman of theirs can face 100 or 200 horsemen of the infidels. When they go to war they form lines in front are the archers with their bows, and behind are the women and children
Abu al-Hassan Ali ibn Hussein ibn Ali al-Massoudi, X century AD

The word Bulgarian means a worthy, wise man.
Jagfar Tarikh history of the Volga Bulgarians, 1098 AD

The Bulgarian country is among the seven world civilizations.
Prof. Shigeoshi Mazuiama

The Bulgarians were this nation, which along with the Vikings contributed the most for the organizing and forming of civilization in whole Eastern Europe. The Proto-Bulgarians organized the Bulgarian-Slavic tribes in one nation, in which the Bulgarian spirit and culture remained as a ferment/yeast for all times.
Prof. Geza Feher

In human history there are 28 civilizations and one of them is the Bulgarian.
Sir Arnold Toenbe (Toinby? Im not sure of the spelling)

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 29-Oct-2006 at 16:44
Philhellene View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 17:46

Huns (Utigurs, Kutrigurs etc.) were the members of Kubrat's tribal union and constant enemies of Byzantine Empire.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 18:07
Utigurs and Kutrigurs werent huns(except if bulgars as a whole were huns).They were bulgar tribes and there si no doubt in this.Gothuc historian Jordan(or Jordanes)called them bulgarians of the eastern and western ridge.Kubrat was a leader of the third main bulgar tribe Onogondurs(onogurs).

There is something interesting about Kubrat.He had two names.First one is Kurt which i think means wolf.There is a theory about the second name Kubrat.It connected it with iranian word Vubrat(i am not sure if this was the word)which means unite,gather.And we know that Kubrat united all bulgarian tribes and created Old Great Bulgaria.

Plato
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 18:13

Here's something very interesting i found.It was written at Ravena 2 centuries before 681(when Bulgaria was created):Inter vero Thraciam vel Macedoniam et Mysiam inferiorem modo Bulgari habitant'.Ravennati Cosmographus, IV, 6.Can somebody here read latin?

"Macedonia and Moesia Inferior Bulgarians live only"

This is a solid proof for many historians that bulgarians inhabited balkans and were a major ethnic group before arrival of Asparukh.Which on the other hand explain that bulgars were more than slavs.

Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:12
Not necessarily, I'd say. Are you sure it's "Bulgari" and not "Vulgares", which is the Latin word for "simple"? ;)
Btw, Liudovik Nemski, you've been reading the History thread in the Sunflowers forum, huh? Note that these translations are old (i.e. not very good quality) and are of things, which I don't support blindly so much anymore...

And I think we're moving to off-topic here as well!
Btw, what's actually the topic of this thread? Khan Krum the Terrible?
And also if we had to choose a Bulgarian ruler, who should be named "Terror of the Byzantines", then it should be the Bulgarian version of Bulgaroktonos - Tsar Kaloyan Romeoktonos. I'd say they hated him even more than Krum (Krum was still just some heathen, i.e. not so worthy of their attention, while Kaloyan was even leading negotiations with the Pope and finally concluded the Union/Unia with him)...

Edited by NikeBG - 30-Oct-2006 at 06:16
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:16
Utigurs and Kutrigurs werent huns(except if bulgars as a whole were huns).They were bulgar tribes and there si no doubt in this.Gothuc historian Jordan(or Jordanes)called them bulgarians of the eastern and western ridge.Kubrat was a leader of the third main bulgar tribe Onogondurs(onogurs).

But Byzantine sources distinguish Bulgarians and Kutrigurs. See for instance the Chronicle of Theophanes (AM 6171: Βουλγαροι and Κοτραγοι (or Huns in "Breviarium" of Nicephorus)).
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:48
During that ages many times byzantine authors called bulgars Skythians or Huns.It was normal,they didnt distinguish them.But there are other sources(byzantine and german) that confirm that Kutrigurs are bulgar tribe.
Plato
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 11:27
But as I said before Byzantine authors distinguished Bulgarians and Kutrigurs, so why we believe only German sources?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 12:20
Originally posted by Philhellene

But as I said before Byzantine authors distinguished Bulgarians and Kutrigurs, so why we believe only German sources?

Actually, phylhellene, it seems that there was a difference between Kotrags and Kutrigurs. See, for instance Artamonov's Books  about Khazars. But I agrre with you, some modern historians doubts that Kutrigurs were Bulgarians.

Edited by Anton - 30-Oct-2006 at 12:20
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 12:58

In human history there are 28 civilizations and one of them is the Bulgarian.
Sir Arnold Toenbe (Toinby? Im not sure of the spelling)

Toynbee never said that. He actually only counted 21 civilizations, and added 4 "failed" civilizations and 3 doubtful civilizations. The Bulgarians were included in the Eastern Orthodox civilization, centered on Constantinople.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>