Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-Colonial Pacific religions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-Colonial Pacific religions
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 20:24
Does anyone know anything about the religions of the south pacific before colonialism? The sterotype is often seen on movies and television programs, but I usually don't believe in sterotypes.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 22:23
I don't have anything to contribute myself but I did find this site which covers a few studies of pre-colonial mythologies of Pacific islanders:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/index.htm

Like their languages and culture, Polynesians seemed to have retained much of their shared mythology as they spread across the Pacific. 

Edited by jayeshks - 29-Oct-2006 at 10:37
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 00:07
Which culture of the Pacific? Do you mean Polynesians? If so, which Polynesians? Hawaians? Maories? Marquesians? Easter Islanders? Although they shared language and a single root, each of theirs culture was slightly different from the rest.

I know a bit about Easter Islanders, but I got the idea the Polynesians didn't have a single religion but many that have a common origin.
In Easter Island, for instance, there was a religion in the times of building of the Moais, and after a civil war and the destruction of Moais and the elite, that religion change to the believes of the "bird man".

People of the Pacific have a set of believes that are similar to the aboriginal peoples throughout the world in close contact with nature.

Pinguin

chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 22:26
For 2000 years Brahmins have controlled Champa, Cambodia,Indonesia and Thailand in sequence, and still exist in Bali. Sanskrit "nagara" meaning "men of the sacred city" became /ngkor/  "Angkor" in Cambodia, and means "national" in Malaysia, and was the state ceremonial-system in Bali. Three men from Ngareenebeil (nagara Bali?) sailed to east Australia according to Bundjalung legend, and their names were Mamoon, Ya Birrein and Birrung. "Mamoon" is a Skt./Hindi name :"maternal uncle". The local strong god is Mahhji, and "Mahaji" is a title of Shiva in Thailand. Baiame is the father-god, possibly a form of "bahman" ("pure mind") meaning "Brahman". As Skt. jadiman=Java jatim= Bundjalung jadami, then "bahman"=*bahami (Baiame). Shiva's wife is Durga , in Bali, and Kali-Durga is the evil spirit, as "durga" in Bundjalung. Nagalinga is Shiva's snake-stone, and Bundj. ngalinga is a sacred word, where "nga-" is "snake".
Coombadjha (Gambadjha) is a sacred site where 3 Aboriginal countries meet, upriver from Angourie "to wait",where the mother waited for the 3 men. Champa "ang" means "numerals.respect", and Java "ang-" is "time.system". Possibly Gambadjha is "Cambodia" ,as Indian people comment on the Indic nature of Bundjalung place-names on roadsigns.
This suggests deep and wide links with India.
chimera
 Post Reply Post Reply