Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did West Roman empire collapse because of Attila?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did West Roman empire collapse because of Attila?
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 06:28
I was merely pointing out there's scholarship for which Attila's role is relatively minor, if not, to extreme, even insignificant.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 11:59
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Everyone in the West has heard of Attila. Westerners don't have to admit that he "whooped our asses" because in the end Attila failed in his objectives and his empire crumbled soon after.

By the way, Attila was a blood thirsty barbarian. He galvanised the tribes allied to him through sheer terror and then attacked western civilisation, causing massive devastation. Attila and its Huns had nothing to offer to surpass Roman civilisation and the world is better for the fact that he and his warriors failed in their objectives. Their success would have reduced Europe to a primitive, tribal wasteland devoid of the vibrant drive for progress which has characterised it for much of its history once it recovered from the invasions of other barbarians.
How did Atilla fail?  Because he died?LOL  He left for about a year, the Romans sent the pope to convince him not to invade and Atilla agreed; even though from what I heard Atilla was still planning on invading anyway, but how could anyone know this for sure.  After the pope left Atilla, he then died.  So if Atilla was really going to go back and take overm the only thing that saved the Romans is his mysterious and sudden death. 

"By the way, Attila was a blood thirsty barbarian. He galvanised the tribes allied to him through sheer terror and then attacked western civilisation, causing massive devastation."

HAha, yea something only Atilla has done, western governments have never done this and they never will.  You're a perfect example of what I was talking about in my last post.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 12:04
If Attila was just another barbarian threat, then why didn't Romans ever before send the pope to persuade the leader of those former barbarians?
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 12:34
Originally posted by Tamerlane

If Attila was just another barbarian threat, then why didn't Romans ever before send the pope to persuade the leader of those former barbarians?

Please read my post responding to Bulldog.  And Rome had better people suited for talking with the other barbarians, such as high ranking officals or diplomats. 

Also, the Popes never stood up to barbarians such as Alaric for example because he was a Christian, and he spared Christian buildings (even during the sack of Rome and throughout his military campaign) and targeted pagan structures specifically, which would eliminate them for the Pope, why would he stand up to him?  

And before that in the 1st, 2nd and even into the 3rd century, they weren't as powerful as their civil and military contemporaries. The Huns were attacking Christians as well as Pagan places, the Pope had something at stake, and so did the Romans, thats why he acted.

Edited by kilroy - 21-Oct-2006 at 13:29
Kilroy was here.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 17:53
Originally posted by Feramez

How did Atilla fail?  Because he died?LOL  He left for about a year, the Romans sent the pope to convince him not to invade and Atilla agreed; even though from what I heard Atilla was still planning on invading anyway, but how could anyone know this for sure.  After the pope left Atilla, he then died.  So if Atilla was really going to go back and take overm the only thing that saved the Romans is his mysterious and sudden death. 

How did he fail? He invaded Gaul and was repulsed. He invaded Italy, he managed to take one medium sized city and only just. As he advanced through Italy it became painfully obvious to him that he could never sustain an invasion in a place to striken with famine and disease, let alone actually muster the strength to capture larger cities like Rome, Ravenna or Naples. Attila's invasions against the Roman Empire broke the bakc of Hun power, shortly after their Germanic vassals revolted and the Huns melted into obscurity. They caused extensive devastation but their invasion resulted in no long term occupation of Roman territory. They failed in their objectives.

If Attila died and his empire fell apart, that constitutes failure. The failure of the Hun political system to sustain an empire beyond one capable leader, the failure to provide a capable successor to sustain the momentum.

HAha, yea something only Atilla has done, western governments have never done this and they never will.  You're a perfect example of what I was talking about in my last post.

Western governments have never done what exactly? Terrorise a bunch of tribes into joining them, wreaking massive devastation and then imploding shortly after because their leader died? True. Instead when it began its advance on the rest of the globe, Western civilisation conquered most of the rest of the planet with much more sustainable impetus and consolidation and their effect is still felt overwhelmingly today.
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 10:37
Originally posted by Constantine XI

If Attila died and his empire fell apart, that constitutes failure.

The Huns had no administration worth the name, that's why their huge empire fell apart within 12 months of Attila's death. That's historically about the fastest downfall an empire ever had.

Did you know that there was only a single stone building in Attila's 'capital' in Pannonia? His sauna...so much for  the contribution of the Huns to world civilization.
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 22:48
E.A.Thompson "The Huns", Blackwell Publishers,
p.171 writes that very last emperor of the WRE was dethroned by Odoacer, who became the first barbarian king of Italy, and who also was son of Edeco (or Edige?), a Hun.

Edited by Akskl - 27-Oct-2006 at 12:08
Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 23:58
Originally posted by Akskl

E.A.Thompson "The Huns", Blackwell Publishers, p.171 writes that very last emperor of the WRE was dethroned by Odoacer, who became the first barbarian king of Italy, andwho also was son of Edeco (or Edige?), a Hun.

I was just about to say that, but you beat me to the punch, huzzah.

It may have not been Attila who ultimately destroyed the western empire, but it was still done by hunnish blood.

Also, the last emperor of the WRE was the son of Orestes(Attila's secretary, I believe, unless he was of a different position). The son took the name Romulus Augustus when he was emperor, and he was a weak one, in my opinion, before he was dethroned by Odoacer.

In the history classes I had, they always said that Attila was a ruthless barbarian who killed for fun. I believe what a few of you said that he was intelligent and a far better leader than Valentinian. Attila is a very important part of history, because he influenced the conquerers after him, Genghis Khan, for example.

Jack Weatherford, "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World," Three Rivers Press, page 130 states:

"He acknowledged only one preceding empire from which he personally took inspiration--his ancestors, the Huns........He wanted to find his own way as befitted a steppe empire descended from the Huns."

For some, Attila may have been a ruthless barbarian or an intelligent leader, either way he inspired future history.

Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
Mongolia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mongolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 07:37
YesLOL
Mongolia
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 09:26
For Turks,Attila is one of the greatest leaders of us.And we know him the matter of Rome's collapse.He did or not,he will always stay in a place of our greatest leaders...
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 10:26
Originally posted by Turk Nomad

For Turks,Attila is one of the greatest leaders of us.And we know him the matter of Rome's collapse.He did or not,he will always stay in a place of our greatest leaders...

Your leader?????I cant understand you turk nomad.Are you talking for Turkey or turk ethnic group.

It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 12:32
I mean all Turks.Wink
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 16:22
Originally posted by Ildico

Originally posted by Akskl

E.A.Thompson "The Huns", Blackwell Publishers, p.171 writes that very last emperor of the WRE was dethroned by Odoacer, who became the first barbarian king of Italy, and who also was son of Edeco (or Edige?), a Hun.

I was just about to say that, but you beat me to the punch, huzzah.

It may have not been Attila who ultimately destroyed the western empire, but it was still done by hunnish blood.

Also, the last emperor of the WRE was the son of Orestes(Attila's secretary, I believe, unless he was of a different position). The son took the name Romulus Augustus when he was emperor, and he was a weak one, in my opinion, before he was dethroned by Odoacer.
e influenced the conquerers after him, Genghis Khan, for example.
I had never heard of this before, very interesting.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 22:32
First, to Constantine the moderator: I didn't know that Attila had a specific objective. Where did you read about the evidence for  Attila having a grand plan of destroying everything and burning all of Europe to the ground? Although you did not say it in this way, but clearly implied it because you think they would have pillaged the West to a "primitive" age had they not "failed in their objective". I ask you where is this documented "objective" because the Huns were nomads, and as nomads do, they were instinctively drawn towards more "civilized" cultures so that they may benefit from adopting the lifestyle and ways of the sedentary peoples. This has been the larger trend of human history not only relevant to this period. But even in this period, there is also clear evidence of this trend. When historians say that the Huns dissolved after Attilas death, where do you think most of them went? Into thin air like vampires? Please, they settled down among the peoples they had domineered. In fact this process had already started even before Attilas death. Hence you would have a "barbarian's" son rise through the Italian society to become king right after the fall of the WRE. In similar ways, but on a much grander and significant scale, Chinggis Khan and his mongols was driven by a similar impetus almost eight centuries later and their actions catalyzed the blossoming of commerce and sharing of ideas among distant lands in immeasurable ways. So even if the Huns had went on to conquer further after Attila's death, how could they have destroyed Europe to the stong age? It must be a fantasy of yours because such destruction would be counterproductive even to the Huns. So in fact, the type of nefarious plan that you attribute to the Huns is most likely the very opposite of what Attila and his people wished to accomplish.

Second point, also to Constantine: When you said that the pope "persuaded" Attila not to sack Italy, it brought to mind the exact same thing that my history professor quoted from a historical source of that period. So you must have gotten that line from the same source. But unlike you, that history professor, who was a well-known authority on Roman history, used his mind a little more and humorously analyzed the word "persuaded." So how do you suppose the pope "persuaded" someone like Attila? By invoking Christian beliefs on Attila? Won't work.  By magic tricks? Not likely. And in those circumstances and those times, how far can reasoning alone go without the true persuasive power of offering women and gold? Although that was not getting down on one's knees to beg, it had the same effect as begging, or if you prefer, bribing.

As for my third point, this is to turk_nomad: Why do you keep calling Attila a Turk? If Attila were the same as the rest of the Huns, then he was most likely NOT a Turk. Why do you think I say that? Well, it's because according to all the western historical sources from that period, the Huns were described as having "short stature" and "extreme physical features", meaning extremely odd and different from what the western world was used to seeing.  Even in Renaissance paintings, such as the "Scourge of God", the Huns are depicted as decidedly Asiatic (i.e. Oriental-looking). Hence, there were stories of Huns being so "deformed-looking" that their presence caused local animals to grow two heads. Now, if I'm not mistaken, the ethnic Turks, though having resided in Asia proper at one time, were an Indo-European group. In other words, Turks were Caucasian by race, and thus if Attila and the Huns were really Turks, they couldn't have been decribed by historical sources in the above ways.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 22:51
Originally posted by kilroy

Constantine hit it on the nose.  It really was many problems that have been plaguing the empire for years.  Attila was just another barbarian threat that sped the process up. 

The corruption of officals, weak emperors, weak morale with the people and the real break down of the Roman military machine really did it in.  Attila may have sacked cities, and pushed deep into Rome, but Rome still stood for another twenty or so years.  All he did was weaken Rome, like all of the other barbarian invasions before him. 

And remember, the Huns were pushing the Gothic tribes toward the Roman empire years before Attila was born.  Perhaps if he'd lived a little longer things might have been different, but he died.  And Gun is right, it was the Gothic tribes in the end that removed the last Emperor and was really damaging both Empires decades before Attila came around.

No one removed the Western Emperor, he was still alive in Dalmatia for another half decade, Julius Nepos, recognized by his colleague in the East, was the legitimate Emperor of the Western half of the Roman Empire. Romolus Augustus was a puppet of the army in the West, headed by his father Orestes. Once Odoacer became the leading figure in the Western army he deposed both Orestes, and his teenage son the puppet-Emperor Romolus Augustus. He was name dux by the Eastern Emperor, to whom he paid lip service to, but ran the Western government autonomously. So in theory it did not fall, in practice it changed hands from one military leader to the next, both of whom were of Germanic origin. The only difference was that Odoacer never named a puppet-Emperor, there was still Julius nepos in Dalmatia, Split for a few years. Once he died, the only Roman Emperor, was in Constantinople who in theory governed the unified Roman Empire once again, that includes Italy and Gaul where the local ruler paid lip service to the Emperor. I'm not sure on the status of Spain, from what I know the Vandals in Africa were independent, and took the land outright. Odoacer was part of the Roman world, and Roman politics, just he was a German soldier, kind of like Napoleon, or better yet a French Foreign Legionary had taken over the government in France or a part of France, paying lip service to the other half where the legitimate government remains.

Edited by es_bih - 28-Dec-2006 at 22:58
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 22:56
Originally posted by positron_051

So how do you suppose the pope "persuaded" someone like Attila? By invoking Christian beliefs on Attila? Won't work.  By magic tricks? Not likely. And in those circumstances and those times, how far can reasoning alone go without the true persuasive power of offering women and gold? Although that was not getting down on one's knees to beg, it had the same effect as begging, or if you prefer, bribing.

Isn't bribing a form of persuasion, Constantine never stated what form of persuasion either.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 00:00
I added the term "bribing", because some might find "begging" to be too blunt to accept. But to me, bribing is not a dignified form of persuasion, like when a lawyer tries to persuade the jury. And when you bribed someone with women and gold in those times, it really sounds like begging.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 00:09
Not to harp on this sub-topic, but come to think of it, begging is a form of persuasion too, isn't it? It's part of the spectrum of persuasive activities. So I guess there really was no need for Constantine to disagree with another member on whether it was "begging" or "persuasion". But deep down, I know Constantine felt too indignified to accept the word "begging."
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 00:32
While i won't argue the technicality of Juliu, Zeno had no real power over the rest of the Western Empire, it did in fact fall. 

Your mistaken in the fact that most of Gaul still paid lip service to Zeno, in 475 a treaty was signed with the Visigoths and they were recognized as the rulers of the vast majority of Gaul and Spain completely independent under King Euric, paying no homage to Rome in any way.  Africa was, as you correctly stated, under Vandal rule. Only the Dominion of Soissons was still under 'Roman' rule, however that quickly gave way a couple of years later to the Visigoths (486 i think).  Corsica and Sardinia were also not under Roman rule.  And Germania was overrun by than.  The Western Roman Empire was gone.  Italy gave way later on.

And technically, one could argue that Julius was removed from power since he was merely an Emperor on paper, and he was forced out of Ravenna in 475 by Orestes.  Julius did not have any power over his Domains (except for Dalmita),  Odoacer did.  He was also unable to retake his rightful throne.  However it is true,he was an 'Emperor.'  He even had coins with his name on it to prove it, but these were minted by Odoacer upon the request of Zeno. 

Good catch on Julius though.
Kilroy was here.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 01:30

Originally posted by kilroy

While i won't argue the technicality of Juliu, Zeno had no real power over the rest of the Western Empire, it did in fact fall. 

Your mistaken in the fact that most of Gaul still paid lip service to Zeno, in 475 a treaty was signed with the Visigoths and they were recognized as the rulers of the vast majority of Gaul and Spain completely independent under King Euric, paying no homage to Rome in any way.  Africa was, as you correctly stated, under Vandal rule. Only the Dominion of Soissons was still under 'Roman' rule, however that quickly gave way a couple of years later to the Visigoths (486 i think).  Corsica and Sardinia were also not under Roman rule.  And Germania was overrun by than.  The Western Roman Empire was gone.  Italy gave way later on.

And technically, one could argue that Julius was removed from power since he was merely an Emperor on paper, and he was forced out of Ravenna in 475 by Orestes.  Julius did not have any power over his Domains (except for Dalmita),  Odoacer did.  He was also unable to retake his rightful throne.  However it is true,he was an 'Emperor.'  He even had coins with his name on it to prove it, but these were minted by Odoacer upon the request of Zeno. 

Good catch on Julius though.

I did not know about the Gaul situation, I do know there were parts under direct rule. I think the year 486 is correct. Julius was still on paper the legal Emperor recognized by Odoacer as well. Not to mention the Imperial insignia of the West was in Zeno's hands. Legally speaking Odoacer was a buearacraut of the Empire, practically speaking he was the autnomous ruler of the Western half, or what remained of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>