Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

northern and southern Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: northern and southern Europe
    Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 18:55
Well, you know, we're just too hot to keep our fingers off each other, much less think about birth control.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 20:09
The division of culture on the European continent could be summarily explained as being due to:
a) geographical and climactic conditions that affect economy, trade, and distribution of wealth. The Mediterranean, i.e. provided a "safe", closed-waters zone that allowed trade to flourish in a degree the North never reached before 1000 AD. But it was the N. Europeans (and the Spanish and Portugese) who developed ocean-going vessels that allowed them to built transatlantic empires all over the world.
b) historic settlement patterns and migrations that laid the base for today's national/linguistic map of Europe. The Germanic tribes, i.e., settled where they did, the Magyars settled in the plain of Hungary,  etc.
c) external factors, a MAJOR factor in my oppinion. From post-900 AD onwards, NW Europe has been practically devoid of invasions, the Mongols having not reached but the eastern plains of Poland. All the blood that has been shed on the European continent from 1000 AD onwards, belongs to the inhabitants of these regions fighting in intracontinental disputes. Historically Europe was shielded by the expanse of the Russian steppe on one hand and her two extremities on the other: the Iberian peninsula and the Balkans. There, the incursions of the steppe and Islam were contained for hundreds of years, a fact that contributed in allowing N. Europe to develop UNTISTURBED FROM FOREIGN INVASION (except that of Christianity, I might addSmile). Also, Spain and the Balkans--Malta too-- are the only two regions that were ever occupied by Islam for a good number of years. And while Spain did away with it early, the Balkans were subject well into the 20th century and their development has been affected accordingly. This is a key factor in the grudge that the south bears today: it is easy for the southern mind--especially the Balkan, especially the Greek, and especially MINETongue--to consider the N. Europeans as arrogant and unappreciative because they never had to deal with the muftis and aghas; I think this is what Pinguin refers to as "luck", his N. European critics please keep that in mind; and, yes, I also recognise the  seemingly incomprehensible--to the N. European mind --Balkan tendency to backstab, infight, gull, deceive, willingly ethnic cleanse and blood-bathe each other for sh*t that happened hundreds of years ago--it'd be incomprenhensible to both Belgians and the Dutch, i.e., that they should go to war today over the rebellion of the Southern Provinces in 1840(?)-- and engage in  "effete", corrupt, oriental-style politics.
On the other hand I awknoledge that NW Europe--and N. America as an extension-- took the Greco-Roman tradition of indivindualism and representative goverment  to incredible heights:  Rennaisance,  Enlightment,  French Revolution,  Newtonian science, Darwinism and the evolution of the Natural Sciences, industrial revolution and Liberalism, the Nuclear Age. Also, War and his machine, destructiveness and oppression reached new heigths as well; but this is the dual nature of everything,  light and darkness, yin and yang.

What can I say, the Celto-Germanic-Finno/Ungrian "barbarians" have learned wellSmile. Kudos to you all excluding: mass murder, colonial and imperialistic oppression, unbelievable religious narrow-mindness, classism, and the millions of dead and maimed from the 30 Years', Napoleonic, Crimean, and two World WarsLOL.
 And we come to today's Europe, a mix of the old and the new, with regional differences and a general , shaky unity under the uncertain institution of the EU plus the added element of mass Islamic/African immigration into the heart of the continent. A volatile mix, a recipe for disaster or the ticket to the future? But that's the subject of another thread... 

Edited by konstantinius - 19-Oct-2006 at 20:13
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 20:48
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

There is not much difference between southern and northern Europeans. Much is just facade. Southern Europeans may be more prone to publicly display family values, but behind the scenes they are just as (un)faithful to their partners as everybody else.

Sure they are.  But why have the traditions, however imperfectly practiced, remained in the South?    As another poster mentioned   "Catholic and Orthodox Christianity favors a communal approach to society and ones place in it.  Protestantism is far more individualistic" - paraphrase.  Naturally there are exceptions.

Also, South Europe still has many elements of an "Honor based Culture"  Honor based cultures dont like to change.  Look at the Middle East.  An Honor Based culture in the Balkans explains the conflicts where thousands die over national "insults" that happened centuries ago.  

Konstantinius,

I agree, europe is going to change.  And where there is change, there is always an increased potential for conflict.  Lets hope that the elements discussed on this thread dont happen in the rest of Europe as they already have in the Balkans

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Oct-2006 at 20:56
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by Cryptic

As another poster mentioned   "Catholic and Orthodox Christianity favors a communal approach to society and ones place in it.  Protestantism is far more individualistic" - paraphrase. 

Much of this communal approach is in fact a function of pure economics. For example, in Spain, the culture of which I am fairly well accustomed, young people moved out of their parents' home only in their mid-twenties. But it is not like they would have done so, if they could.

In that circumstances it is also difficult to have, for example, a girl-friend. I have never witnessed so much people doing sex in cars like in Spain. On weekends, you can see whole lanes full of cars with drawn curtains. Sounds adventurous, but this just sucks because these people just can't have sex at home.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:09
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Luck, that's a new one. I guess the English beat the Spanish Armada with pure luck too LOL

The Spanish Armada? Of course it was a luck! Even mother nature it was on the side of Britain.Wink
Well, Polynesians were a lot more easy going that Vikings, anyways.
You've met many since you're able to make this conclusion, I'm sure.

[/QUOTE]

You bet! I know both groups, and Polynesians are more easy going... Indeed!

Pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:15
Originally posted by Jams

First, the Nordic countries, except UK(not truly nordic, imho), never ever were "on top of the world".
And secondly, the Nordic countries were in no way supporting Hitler in general. The Germans actually invaded them, just like they did to other countries. We would rather have liked to be left alone, I assure you.
The Germans are mostly central Europe, look at a map.

I used the term Nordic instead of Northerners, as opposite to Southerners. I should have said Germanic peoples. And some of these peoples (Brits, Germans, Dutch, etc.) has been on top of the world for a long time by now.

And there really isn't all that much difference between countries in western Europe, unlike what the first post seem to suggest. Especially not in big urban areas.

Yes, there are differences. People of Southern Europe always complain of the discrimination they feel in the North. I remember just one of those insults: "Black heads"

There's some difference in cultural heritage, and of course language (Romance vs Germanic) but the difference isn't all that important.
There's a FAR bigger difference between east and west.

There is a huge difference in the way people see human and family relations.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:31
Originally posted by konstantinius

... This is a key factor in the grudge that the south bears today: it is easy for the southern mind--especially the Balkan, especially the Greek, and especially MINETongue--to consider the N. Europeans as arrogant and unappreciative because they never had to deal with the muftis and aghas; I think this is what Pinguin refers to as "luck", his N. European critics please keep that in mind; and, yes, I also recognise the  seemingly incomprehensible--to the N. European mind --Balkan tendency to backstab, infight, gull, deceive, willingly ethnic cleanse and blood-bathe each other for sh*t that happened hundreds of years ago--it'd be incomprenhensible to both Belgians and the Dutch, i.e., that they should go to war today over the rebellion of the Southern Provinces in 1840(?)-- and engage in  "effete", corrupt, oriental-style politics.

I completely agree.

Perhaps I express myself in very rude manner. Sorry about that.
It is just that people of Southern Europe has always heared those comments of inferiority filtering from everywhere in N. Europe and N. America. Even from pseudo-academics. Comments like these:

(1) The better countries are in cold weather. Or worst: cold weather produce a better people (in genetic terms).

(2) The south is lazy, the north works.

(3) The south lives "la vida loca" while the north is responsable and efficient.

(4) The south has always being "inferior". The south is happy being backwards.

(5) The Spanish conquerors were cruel and ambitious, while the British settlers were all educated and good fellows.

(6) Catholicism is backwards while Protestantism is progressive.

(7) The south is vicious, the north pure. The south is corrupt, the north is smart in business deals.

(8) We, the north, know it better.

And thousand of other more in the same style, hurts day by day people that happens to be born in the South.

It is not envy or hate that motivates certain reactions -particularly mine- but the sincere desire to express how it feels to be considered inferior.

Well, I am not even Southern European but Latin American, but I know the situation quite well, because it affects our fellow Spanish people. And it is very well know for us, that Latin Americans are considered in an even lower level than Southern Europeans.

Pinguin

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:00
Well, stop feeling hurt and start showing what you're worth. No sense moping around.

Although you seem remarkably misinformed by saying the North is not having children. You are right that they are not, but the South of Europe has even lower birthrates. In a hundred years, the population of Spain will be less than half what it is now, if present trends continue. The USA is the only member of the "First World" that has birthrates above replacement rate - 2.1% - it barely clears it.

Europe, Japan, and all the other industrialised countries of the world save the USA are headed for a population bomb. And don't deceive yourselves, your country will not be better off with fewer people. You all can say goodbye to your former economic prowess.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:52
Well, I am not even Southern European but Latin American, but I know the situation quite well, because it affects our fellow Spanish people. And it is very well know for us, that Latin Americans are considered in an even lower level than Southern Europeans

When ive heard American rants they arent complaining about "spanish" people but more the Hispanics, like Mestizos.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 04:28
The cultural divide over conservative 'values' isn't between countries, but mostly between city and country. And it always has been.

Milan and Calabria, Madrid and Galicia, are even more different in that regard that London and Cornwall. Or consider Cologne and the Eiffel, geographically close, culturally very different. Or Paris and the Dordogne. Even here in Luxembourg attitudes are very different in the capital than they are up in the Oesling.

Incidentally, Pinguin confuses 'North and South' in the American sense with 'North and South' in the European. Southern Europe is still well north of the equator.

The theory that cold climates produce harder workers (right or wrong) predicts that Argentina and Chile would be more successful than Colombia and Ecuador. And that Alabama and Mississippi would lag behind Illinois and New York. Which are not untenable theses.

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Oct-2006 at 04:29
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 06:08
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Jams

First, the Nordic countries, except UK(not truly nordic, imho), never ever were "on top of the world".
And secondly, the Nordic countries were in no way supporting Hitler in general. The Germans actually invaded them, just like they did to other countries. We would rather have liked to be left alone, I assure you.
The Germans are mostly central Europe, look at a map.

I used the term Nordic instead of Northerners, as opposite to Southerners. I should have said Germanic peoples. And some of these peoples (Brits, Germans, Dutch, etc.) has been on top of the world for a long time by now.

And there really isn't all that much difference between countries in western Europe, unlike what the first post seem to suggest. Especially not in big urban areas.

Yes, there are differences. People of Southern Europe always complain of the discrimination they feel in the North. I remember just one of those insults: "Black heads"

There's some difference in cultural heritage, and of course language (Romance vs Germanic) but the difference isn't all that important.
There's a FAR bigger difference between east and west.

There is a huge difference in the way people see human and family relations.

Pinguin

No, there's not. Not in urban areas, at least. Anyway France was also an "on top" country, and even Italia was too - remember Mussolini? There's no big north/south divide, although there used to be in the past, but not anymore at all.
And theres cultural differences between countries no mater if it north south or east west, it's more country to country thing. After all the difference between Spanish and French mentality is quite big.

As someone else wrote, there's an urban/rural divide, and that's in every country, and rural people have traditionally been very much family oriented, with farms and such being inherited being one of the reasons. It's all about small static comminities versus big dynamic urban areas.

Edited by Jams - 20-Oct-2006 at 06:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 15:58
Originally posted by Timotheus

Well, stop feeling hurt and start showing what you're worth. No sense moping around.

Although you seem remarkably misinformed by saying the North is not having children. You are right that they are not, but the South of Europe has even lower birthrates. In a hundred years, the population of Spain will be less than half what it is now, if present trends continue. The USA is the only member of the "First World" that has birthrates above replacement rate - 2.1% - it barely clears it.

Europe, Japan, and all the other industrialised countries of the world save the USA are headed for a population bomb. And don't deceive yourselves, your country will not be better off with fewer people. You all can say goodbye to your former economic prowess.

You are right that Spain and Italy have had problems now. There was a huge change in mentality in Spain when it entered the European Union. Suddenly, money and success counted more that the traditional values of the family and passionate religion. They will have to pay the price, I am afraid. I don't know if Spain will survive as a people or it will become an empty egg, a museum populated by alliens of the Africa, Asia and Ecuador.

That would be a pitty for the people like ourselves, who descend in part of Spain. I bet that sudden injection of "northern" mentality of the '70s killed Spain more than the Vandals, the Moors, the Protestants, or any war or challenge of the past.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 16:06
Originally posted by Timotheus

You know very well what I mean, and why I said it so. Because that's the way many people thinks.

Well, I lived in a developed country during five years, and I know the attitude against kids that many people has in the rich country. Not all the people is like that, but many preffer to have an Audi rather than a baby.

Now, the U.S. is growing thanks to immigration and, perhaps, because Americans love theirs land. After all, the people of the U.S. love their land with passion like it should be. And people that love its land and coutry has kids. Not just import them or buy them in the international addoption supermarkets.

You know. I can become upset of many things the U.S. government does. But I admire their people still loves theirs country.

Well, my country is thinking in importing Asians in mass already. Our problem is that many people left the country in the past and is still leaving the country that population growth stopped. Perhaps we'll follow your path soon.

I wonder what will happens in the near future when Chinese and other asian countries will enter in a population bust as well.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 16:15
Originally posted by think

When ive heard American rants they arent complaining about "spanish" people but more the Hispanics, like Mestizos.

Yes. Americans usually downplay the countries south of the border because they are Mestizos (Euro-Amerindian). Actually that mixture is dominant above all other races in mainland Latin America, with the exception of the Caribbean.

However, you find Mestizos of all shades. Some are, by any way you look at them, exactly like Europeans, even blonds (you won't know they are mixed if they don't tell you). Others look in between. And some look pure Amerindians. Depending on the country you go the people looks different
Besides, there are some minorities of Blacks, Whites and Asians as well.

But now things are becomming riduculous. Actually, some places of the United States are today "darker" than most places in Latin America LOL. For example, in Souther Brazil you find more whites that in the U.S. And non-white peoples and mixtures are booming in the United States right now.

Besides, by 2050 1 in four people will be Hispanics.

So I am certain "Americans" will have to change their racist attitudes against Latin America quite fast. They are outdated and really ridiculous by now.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 16:21

One thing is for sure, Northeners and Southernes are different races but yeah many have interminlged with each other over the centuries.

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 23:22
One thing is for sure, Northeners and Southernes are different races but yeah many have interminlged with each other over the centuries

Are Slavs a different race aswell?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 23:35
To Lara:

Yes. I agree on that.

Believe me or not, even in Latin America, a region that is mainly populated by the descendents of Southern Europeans and Natives, you can find large population of Northern Europeans with Oktoberfests included.

In countries like Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, the descendents of Northern Europeans are nothing strange to see at all. It is funny how some people of U.S. and Europe complain about the blonds on Latin American TV and forget that although blonds are minoritary, they do exist in important numbers in there as well.

Xuxa, Brazil.

Kenita Larrain, Chile

Valeria Mazza, Argentina (my favorite Wink)

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 20-Oct-2006 at 23:36
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 23:45
I know this Spanish girl who has Blonde hair an Blue eyes...

But i know this other girl who id from the South of Spain who has Dark hair, dark eyes an dark hair....Yet shes got a small nose an has got a Nordic look in the face...

Also this other Spanish girl has Pure White skin Brownish hair an really dark eyes...

If you said they were all from Spain the regular Joe would prob look confused...
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 23:55
However, you find Mestizos of all shades. Some are, by any way you look at them, exactly like Europeans, even blonds

Then they wouldnt be regarded as Mestizos if they look European..

Like i said when ive hear Anglo American rants on Mexicans, they are referring to the Mestizos. Not the Mexicans who are of European descent..

So if someone from South America looks European then they arent going to be called a Mestizo..

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 00:36
Originally posted by think

However, you find Mestizos of all shades. Some are, by any way you look at them, exactly like Europeans, even blonds

Then they wouldnt be regarded as Mestizos if they look European..

Like i said when ive hear Anglo American rants on Mexicans, they are referring to the Mestizos. Not the Mexicans who are of European descent..

So if someone from South America looks European then they arent going to be called a Mestizo..

That's curious, because the concept of Mestizo, in Latin America is not related with phenotype (aspect) but with ancestry. If you see the statistics of Chile (my country), for instance, it says it is 90% mestizo, because is true, most people has some Amerindian ancestry. However, most people has an European look, and many are even blond.

These are average Chileans:

I have notice, too, that many Central Americans and Mexicans that call themselves Mestizos, they are not. They are mainly Amerindians without much European admixture.

Pinguin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>