Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tsar Samuil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tsar Samuil
    Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 06:06

Who was Tsar Samuil?

"Perched in his royal seat high over the city of Ohrid, Tsar Samuil fought the Byzantine invaders who frequently tried to take over Macedonia. A ruler as well as a warrior, he led a brave and loyal army who would follow him to the grave."

"Samuil's Empire consisted of the entire region of Macedonia, as well as Thessaly, Epirus, Albania, Serbia, Duklja, Travina, Zahumlje, Neretva, and a considerable part of Bulgaria."

Tsar Samuil's Fortress, in Ohrid:

Edited by Hellios - 19-Oct-2006 at 06:36
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 06:30
This thread belongs in the medieval forum.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 07:09
Originally posted by Hellios

"Perched in his royal seat high over the city of Ohrid, Tsar Samuil fought the Byzantine invaders who frequently tried to take over Macedonia. A ruler as well as a warrior, he led a brave and loyal army who would follow him to the grave."

It would be better to replace Macedonia with Bulgaria. Especially since the Byzantines attacked not only the Macedonian region, but also Bdin etc., i.e. briefly said - all remaining Bulgarian territories.

Originally posted by Hellios

"Samuil's Empire consisted of the entire region of Macedonia, as well as Thessaly, Epirus, Albania, Serbia, Duklja, Travina, Zahumlje, Neretva, and a considerable part of Bulgaria."

Isn't it funny how the ruler of the only Bulgarian state at that time ruled over "a considerable part of Bulgaria". It doesn't make much sense, even if the Byzantine theme administrative system is used - the Byzantine theme Bulgaria covered most of the modern FYROM, plus the lands around Bdin and Sredec/Sofia and some others, i.e. the bigger part of Samuil's state.

Edited by NikeBG - 19-Oct-2006 at 07:11
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 05:56

Good.  I was hoping somebody would challenge that article.  Thanks.  Let me know if you want the origin link; it's very funny.

Edited by Hellios - 20-Oct-2006 at 05:56
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 07:19
   It was already discussed many times on this forum about the Komitopuli dynasty, Samuil, how the Basil II gained his nickname etc.
   The site you probably refer is one of the FYROMacedonian government sponsored ones, like historyofmacedonia.org.
   They are very funny sites afterall (for sci-fi fans) and represent the total crisis of their history "scince", fell in a futile attempt to excuse the current political situation. The most interesting is the list of "Macedonian" rulers-from Cleopatra and Antiochus, a thousand years pause, and then voila Samuil appears and what is more interesting Basil I the Macedonian (867-886) is presented as the first Macedonian ruler of the Byzantine empire!!!!!!! So the wars of Basil II are in fact civil wars! A very funny things continue to appear online, such as the absurd theory about the Roseta stone which is in total contradiction with everything officialy admitted. I don't know on what they are counting-perhaps on the maxim: "A lie said again and again begins to seem more authentic than the truth".
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 12:03
Originally posted by Desperado

The site you probably refer is one of the Macedonian government sponsored ones, like historyofmacedonia.org.

Have you seen it before?

Edited by Hellios - 20-Oct-2006 at 12:04
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 12:43
Yes, of course . It's quite popular.
I hope a historical dispute, seminar or something of that kind will be organized between the official historians from the Balkan states, to clear some delicate moments of the common history in a civilized manner. But there will be a problem of finding a representative from FYROM-the autors of their propaganda are publicists not professional historians.
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 09:43
From http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/MacedoniansNotBulgarians.html

17. After helping the Turks to occupy the Balkans in the 14th century, the Bulgarians again sided with the dark side in World War II (1941-1945).

Right... so I guess the only remaining thing is for the Light Side-Macedonian Jedi to come and kick our... you know. Right?
Seriously, I had lectures at the university this morning just before I read this site and I almost feel abused. It's one thing to say modern Macedonia is an independent state, but that Samuil is a macedonian tsar fightining the (mongolic?!) bulgar oppresors is rediculous.

22.The Bulgarians and the Macedonians also defer in physical appearance.

So now we are monkey-men!?...
Unity makes Strenght
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 10:24
Originally posted by Burdokva

22.The Bulgarians and the Macedonians also defer in physical appearance.

So now we are monkey-men!?...

no apperantly asian!

The typical Mongolic features among the modern Bulgarians are absent among the Macedonians.

Confused
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 17:47
   Everybody , interested how the Bulgarians look like can visit this site LINK and make his own conclusions. Pressing this LINK will generate a page with random picture of Bulgarian female or male LINK among 83111 members.
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Burdokva

but that Samuil is a macedonian tsar fightining the (mongolic?!) bulgar oppresors is rediculous.

What do you expect?They try to catch every last straw they see in order to make a history of their own.Being ascendants to Alexander the great is a perfect example.Then Gotse Delchev and Nikola Vaptsarov not being bulgarians but macedonians.Now Samuil being macedonian tsar.I won't be surprised if they declare Tsar Simeon I a great macedonian emperor.

Pathetic.

Edit:They also claim that Macedonia was the birthplace of orthodoxy...

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 30-Oct-2006 at 18:26
theMacedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote theMacedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 06:20
Ok since u are all good historians and im a nobody whois ideas of an ancestry in The Ancient Macedonians, Tzar Samoil, Goce Delcev... etc is just a projected illusion of my people...
why dont you o great historians tell me who am I... because u clearly declare that every thing above is not Macedonian...

Im waiting,...

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 06:41
You are a bulgarian.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 07:07
Originally posted by Krum

You are a bulgarian.

Agreed Macedonia is bulgar land.Just compare the language they speak to the ones of their neighbours:very different that serbian and miles away from greek.But any bulgarian can understand when a macedonian speaks and vice versa.Without having to study the language.

Not to mention that Kuber's protobulgars when unable to break through the avars came south and settled between Prilep and Bitolia(places in today's Macedonia)

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 31-Oct-2006 at 07:18
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 07:09
theMacedonian, separation of our nations (if you want to call Macedonians as a nations) were later then Samuil, Okhrid literary center and even Goce Delchev. Thus, the question you ask is pointless. Similar question -- Kievan Rus is Russian or Ukranian?
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 08:01
Have you heard the name macedonians to be used in the medieval as a name of a nation.

Edited by Krum - 31-Oct-2006 at 10:42
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 06:35
Originally posted by theMacedonian

why dont you o great historians tell me who am I...

From what I can judge by your nickname, you're mostly a Macedonian, although you probably have some bigger or lesser mixings as well. I myself am mostly a Shop (around 3/4 Shop and 1/4 Macedonian from the border regions of the Macedonia region). I presume that you're also a citizen of the Republic of Macedonia. I'm using your consitutional name, because Bulgaria was the first state to acknowledge it, unlike the bigger part of the rest of the world, which still uses Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia. And since I'm a citizen of the Republic of Bulgaria, I'm using your consitutional name, as our government has decided to agree. Anyway, if you're asking us who you are as in "What's my name? Where do I live?" - sorry, I can't tell. But you can, if you wish! If you're asking us who you are as in the philosophical aspect of "Who am I?" - you're yourself. Or maybe not - you have the best chance to know that. But if you're asking us whether we believe the citizens of the Republic of Macedonia to be a separate from the Bulgarians ethnos or not - no, we don't believe so, since around 1/3 of them are surely not of Bulgarian origin. Wink
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 12:18
Originally posted by NikeBG

I'm using your consitutional name, because Bulgaria was the first state to acknowledge it, unlike the bigger part of the rest of the world, which still uses Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia. And since I'm a citizen of the Republic of Bulgaria, I'm using your consitutional name, as our government has decided to agree.

Just a small correction. The only countries that insist on using "fyrom" are Greece and its allies in the EU. The majority of the world  inlcluding 3 of the 5 veto-holders in the security council, recognize the Republic by its constitutional name.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by bg_turk

Just a small correction. The only countries that insist on using "fyrom" are Greece and its allies in the EU. The majority of the world  inlcluding 3 of the 5 veto-holders in the security council, recognize the Republic by its constitutional name.
International recognition by no means necessarily endows a state with legitimacy, especially when the recognition has been granted in such an impetuous manner in the midst of a crisis and if legitimacy is held to have any connection with a common history and a sense of common destiny as characteristics of the state's population, without which no state can survive.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 12:34

One question for the Bulgarians.What is their opinion for the Bitola inscription. 

The following inscription found in the Monastirion (Bitola) at 1956 and they translated only some quotes that mention:

This inscription was engraved from the Jovan Vladislav,Bulgarian Emperor son of Aaron(brother of Samuil)

this castle rebuild for the save and the life of the Bulgarians

Text of the inscription (translation from Old Bulgarian):

In year 6253 (1015) since the creation of the world, this fortress, built and made by Ivan, Tsar of Bulgaria, was renewed with the help and the prayers of Our Most Holy Lady and through the intercession of her twelve supreme apostles. The fortress was built as a haven and for the salvation of the lives of the Bulgarians. The work on the fortress of Bitola commenced on the twentieth day of October and ended on the This Tsar was Bulgarian by birth, grandson of the pious Nikola and Ripsimia, son of Aaron, who was brother of Samuil, Tsar of Bulgaria, the two who routed the Greek army of Emperor Basil at Stipone where gold was taken and this Tsar was defeated by Emperor Basil in 6522 (1014) since the creation of the world in Klyutch (the Battle of Kleidion) and died at the end of the summer.

My question is do you beleive that this inscription came from the Samuil family?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>