Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favorite Ottoman Rulers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favorite Ottoman Rulers
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 11:33

Who is/are your favorite Ottoman rulers?

Mine is obviously Sultn Mehmed II.

Portrait of Mehmed II drawn by Gentile Bellini

Tuğra (Signature) of Mehmed II

Apart from him, I also like Murad I, Mehmed I and Selm III.

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 13:39

WOW thats a cool signature!

I think I like Suelimon (bad spelling) th emost

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 04:35
Tobodai,do you think should have Suleiman conquered Germany?(he had the oppurtunity!)
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Tonifranz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tonifranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 06:52

Suleiman the Magnificent!

He defeated the Hungarians at Mohacs, and conquered Hungary. He even besieged Vienna.

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Tobodai,do you think should have Suleiman conquered Germany?(he had the oppurtunity!)

He would be too overextended, and too far from his bases of supply. Basically, it was poor supply lines that caused the siege of Vienna to fail. Besides, Vienna during that time was considered part of Germany, so he tried, and he failed. Even if he conquered Germany, he would be too overextended to hold it for long. Plus he would have to face assaults from hundreds of German states, and the other powers of Europe.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 10:13

My favorite is Bayezid I who was surnamed "the Thunderbolt".

He took Konya, Antalya, Nidge, Karaman, Kayseri, Tokat, Sivas, Kastamonu, Amasya, and all Ancient Minor Asia as far as Euphrate. In Europe, he attacked Valachia, Hungary, Bosnia and during 7 years Constantinople.

He defeated Sigismond of Hungary and a Christian army composed of French, German, English and Italian knights, Bulgarian infantry and Hungarian army! It was the famous battle of Nicopolis.

Bayazed occupied Thessalia and Peloponnese (with Athens).

He was going to Roma...but Timur, an another genius, stopped him.

Edited by Noacyl
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 14:13
Many say Sultn Sleymn I was the greatest Ottoman ruler, but I disagree with them (incluiding professional historians).

Steppes History Forum
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 17:44
  Many say Sultn Sleymn I was the greatest Ottoman ruler, but I disagree with them (incluiding professional historians).

What is the reason of your disagreemnt ? The problem of succesor to throne ?
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 11:15

I also wondered...

Btw my favourite is still Sultan Mahmud II.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:49

Originally posted by TJK

What is the reason of your disagreemnt ? The problem of succesor to throne ?

He killed two of his sons; one of them would have been a very good administrator and the other one was a very good warrior. He also spent most of the state treasury on endless wars with Safavid Iran and the Habsburgs.

Steppes History Forum
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 09:07

He killed two of his sons; one of them would have been a very good administrator and the other one was a very good warrior.

Oh,you must hate Sultan Selim I.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 13:27
I don't like him much either

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 23:08

The greatest ottoman sultans were:

Sultan Suleyman Kannuni I, Sultan Mehmed II Han El-Fatih, Sultan Selim I Yavuz, Sultan Bayazid I Yildirim, Sultan Koca Murad II, Sultan Murad I Gazi, Sultan Murad IV, Sultan Bayazid II Veli, Sultan Mahmud II, Sultan Mahmud I, Sultan Abdulhamid II, Sultan Mustafa II and Sultan Selim III.....

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 10:25

Selim III and Mahmut II. I think Mahmut II. was the Ataturk of the Ottoman Empire...

Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 20:57
Suleiman would have had to kill more than just those sons, if Selim I hadn't done the grisly job for him.  Remember that in the 15th and 16th centuries, it was required that a sultan have his brothers strangled with a silken bowstring, so that there would be no power struggle for the throne.  That is part of the reason why the Ottoman Empire was the most efficient Moslem state in history.  When the latter sultans took to confining the princes in separate apartments, with the heir to the throne in a two-story tower called The Cage, the solution turned out to be worse than the problem.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 22:54

Ghazi Sultan Mehmet II :He was he true founder of the Ottoman Empire.He established an empire in Europe and asia with its capital at Istanbul,which was to remain the nucleus of the Ottoman Empire for four centuries.He used the title"Sovereign of the two lands -Rumelia and Anatolia-and of the two seas-Mediterranean and the Black Sea.He was a warrior who strove for world dominion but who was at the same time a man of tolerance and culture.

Click om the website below to view pictures of Osmanli Sultans:

http://almashriq.hiof.no/turkey/900/950/956/sultans/list.htm l

Edited by Moustafa Pasha - 05-Aug-2006 at 17:19
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 22:59
suleiman, the best leader the ottoman empire ever had, and he took the ottoman empire to its height. after him it was a slow decline.
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 05:53
Pers4life; I agree suleiman whas the greatest but in his times the declining of Ottomans begon. He killed his oldest son Mustapha who's should the next Padishah/sultan, reason whas that he did try to talk with the Saffavids  -whas actually a rumour about it. Tough he knowed it whas a wrong decission to hang him up...

No one mentioned II Abdlhamid, because of him we won the WWI, he let opened engineering schools, military schools, many universities, let made raillways from Istanbul till Mecca!

Because of him the Ottoman empire survived 33 years longer then expected...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 13:53

Originally posted by DayI

No one mentioned II Abdlhamid, because of him we won the WWI, he let opened engineering schools, military schools, many universities, let made raillways from Istanbul till Mecca!

Because of him the Ottoman empire survived 33 years longer then expected...

do they teach you that in turkey? they say that you won the war?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 14:02

Yeah, we expanded our borders east,west and north, and lost from south.

what do you think about this?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 14:09

wow, and these turks wonder why we say that they are learning propaganda.

instead of taking my word for it, i suggest your read on the subject of world war one yourself, from a non turkish source.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>