Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wife Beating in Islam - The Rules.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wife Beating in Islam - The Rules.
    Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 01:49
Is there such a thing as a "correct" way of beating your wife?

This short (1 minute) clip supposedly explains the "correct" way of beating your wife.

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 02:24
Also what is the correct method of lashing.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 09:57
That Sheik deserves a beating from his wife. And if he's got four of them, they should gang up on him tag team wrestling style.

Just another nimwit talking up nonsense. Seems that their is justification for anything these zealots come up with. Snake oil for what ails you.

Un Islamic. But again some of these guys create their own fast food islam.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 09:59
Well, do those same rules apply for husband beating?

A growing number of university research reports indicate that men are about as likely as women to suffer from relationship violence. Renowned University of Calgary researcher Eugen Lupri made a study and reported that while 17.8% of husbands had admitted to abusing their female partners, 23.3% of the wives admitted to abusing their male partners. There seems to be a consistent trend of about one in five women and one in five men suffering from domestic violence.

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:03

beating husband dont have any rule. You are free.Just dont hit him much, He have to go work and bring back money.

Infact one of most religious city of Turkey(Konya) have a  social place for man who fleed their women.LOL
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:03
Originally posted by morticia

A growing number of university research reports indicate that men are about as likely as women to suffer from relationship violence. Renowned University of Calgary researcher Eugen Lupri made a study and reported that while 17.8% of husbands had admitted to abusing their female partners, 23.3% of the wives admitted to abusing their male partners. There seems to be a consistent trend of about one in five women and one in five men suffering from domestic violence.

But really how severe is the female inflicted violence? I imagine much of it would be confined to petty slaps across the face or other such minor things. Men, on the other hand, have the natural capacity for far greater damage.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:06
Domestic violence. Simple. Call the local authorities. Have the violator thrown in jail for 24 hours, pay a fine, see a probation officer, go to anger management classes, have counseling and a year later get your case reviewed by the judge. That's the way we handle spousal abuse/domestic violence in my county.

Edited by Seko - 17-Oct-2006 at 10:07
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:08
Originally posted by Seko

That Sheik deserves a beating from his wife. And if he's got four of them, they should gang up on him tag team wrestling style.

Hail Seko!!!     
"Morty

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:10
Originally posted by Constantine XI

A growing number of university research reports indicate that men
are about as likely as women to suffer from relationship violence.
Renowned University of Calgary researcher Eugen Lupri made a study and
reported that while 17.8% of husbands had admitted to abusing their
female partners, 23.3% of the wives admitted to abusing their male
partners. There seems to be a consistent trend of about one in five
women and one in five men suffering from domestic violence.

But really how severe is the female inflicted violence? I imagine much
of it would be confined to petty slaps across the face or other such
minor things. Men, on the other hand, have the natural capacity for far
greater damage.

Agression takes on many forms. The violent crimes by women could be anything from throwing a cell phone at the man after she has found a zillion phone messages by his lover to kicking his rear end when he denies it. Justified but still violent. Just one of many possibilities.

Edited by Seko - 17-Oct-2006 at 10:11
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:14

A growing number of university research reports indicate that men
are about as likely as women to suffer from relationship violence.
Renowned University of Calgary researcher Eugen Lupri made a study and
reported that while 17.8% of husbands had admitted to abusing their
female partners, 23.3% of the wives admitted to abusing their male
partners. There seems to be a consistent trend of about one in five
women and one in five men suffering from domestic violence.

But really how severe is the female inflicted violence? I imagine much
of it would be confined to petty slaps across the face or other such
minor things. Men, on the other hand, have the natural capacity for far
greater damage.

You are right Constantine! Some of the reports indicated women striking back in self defense. Obviously, men have more physical strength and are likely to cause more physical damage than a woman can. I think counseling is a key factor in some of these relationships and, if that doesn't work, get the hell out of the relationship, period!
"Morty

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:15

Hail Seko!!!     

Yes my dear. Though I don't advocate violence. Justice, in this case, never looked so good.

By the way, Cok Gec and I had a discussion on this ages ago. Basically it comes down to following cultural Islam versus Quranic based. The statement of leaving versus beating was clarified. Beating could be seen as one of the words used. But the word in question had multimeanings. Thus the beating didn't make sense. Leaving, after a proces of counseling, did.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:48
    I agree with that Seko! Life is too short to live in a tumultuous relationship.

Seko wrote: "Basically it comes down to following cultural Islam versus Quranic based. The statement of leaving versus beating was clarified. Beating could be seen as one of the words."

Question: Why is beating even considered as an alternative?
"Morty

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:52
Originally posted by Mortaza

Infact one of most religious city of Turkey(Konya) have a  social place for man who fleed their women.LOL
LOL
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 11:03

I agree with that Seko! Life is too short to live in a tumultuous relationship.

Seko wrote: "Basically it comes down to following cultural Islam versus Quranic based. The statement of leaving versus beating was clarified. Beating could be seen as one of the words."

Question: Why is beating even considered as an alternative?

Again, its in how one interpretes the meaning of the Arabic word related to 'beating'. I think beating isn't mentioned. Though I may be wrong, doubtful. I am content with my conclusion.

Edited by Seko - 17-Oct-2006 at 11:04
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 11:29

By the way, Cok Gec and I had a discussion on this ages ago. 
yes I recall that and I am happy to provide the link to this 3 pages interesting discussion:

To Morticia, despite the differences of interpretting the verse between me and Seko, we both agreed that beating as in the English usage does not apply here. Darab in Arabic has so many meanings that Seko chose to take the meaning of word usage (though I disagreed that it was not one of the meaning of Darab) and I chose to look into what was its application by the prophet as I think he understood it better. The only usage I found was using his Miswak (tooth cleaning stick) to tap on his wife. So technically it is not beating, but at the same time, it is the maximum expression of anger a spouse can express (Basically, if you have reached the boiling point, you cannot go beyond the taping (contemporary American states laws separate a light and harmless tap or strike from "abuse" in the legal sense). Without that Hadith, the limit will be vague (due to the multiple meaning of Darab) and its application might range from people who refuse the usage of the word (Darab) to those who take the aggressive meaning of (Darab).
I personally, In my humble opinion, think the Hadith is very important were it cut the door for aggressive interpretation of Darab.
Seko had an interesting insight, I either leave him to express it or the link I provided above will direct you to this posts.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 11:44

IIRC any physical strike under the Hanfi and Shafi schools (also Jafari but I am despite being Shia not as well versed with so can;t be fully sure) means a divorce and a goodly proportion of the property.

The Imam needs a through schooling in islamic law. However since for my course I had to read something like 11 books, I seriously doubt he'll take me up on it.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 12:09
I appreciate your reference Cok Gec. I don't care to go over it though, as it is self explanitory.

Sparten, good to see that divorce is mentioned as a consequence and beating is not an end means.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 14:08

well, If a girl is educated and feminist, Islam is most dangerous religion for man.

She can take a lot right for her.(I know one issue, she banned his husband to divorce from her.Confused)

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 17:25
I think it is absolutely awful that such a heavily ambiguous term is left in religious texts. It took a prolonged discussion by serious academic minds to untangle the true essence of the meaning of this word. How can we expect a person of average intelligence or not especially great education to get the true meaning of this wording? A great many will simply take what they read literally. Not to mention someone who does not speak Arabic, the only accepted language in which the Koran may be correctly read.

Having such an ambiguity in there of such labyrinthine complexity leaves open the potential for massive abuse of women and is simply wrong.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 17:40

But really how severe is the female inflicted violence? I imagine much of it would be confined to petty slaps across the face or other such minor things. Men, on the other hand, have the natural capacity for far greater damage.

The trick is of course that a man won't be taken seriously if he says he's beaten by his wife. Also if he decides to divorce, there's a big chance he will see his children significantly less often or perhaps even not any more at all.

So though when a woman inflicts violence on her husband it may not be too bad physically speaking, but psychologically it has a huge impact.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>