Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National historical myths and bias on AE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Chodas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National historical myths and bias on AE
    Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 13:15
Originally posted by Dampier

Aw, I thought both Netherlands and Belgium got to keep Flanders history. Ah well. Umm...Gwidje Dampiere was French wasnt he...

Uh...There must be one Dutch hero...somewhere...

Maybe Jan Jansz, also known as Murad Rais, who after being enslaved by the (banished andalusians in Sal) became admiral of their fleet and and scored victories against the Spanish and even raided England and Iceland(a deed never repeated by muslims)

Thunder rolled. ... It rolled a six.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 18:05
Good topic Decebal:

SubjectTopic: National historical myths and bias on AE

The "myth" part is usually not that hard to clarify.

The "bias" part is much harder.  It's very difficult for people to put their personal preferences aside when judging something or someone.  Generalizing only compounds the problem.  Another reason for bias is that some people just come here looking for trouble, i.e. just looking for things to dispute, instead of appreciating other members' opinions.

Rgds, Bill

Edited by Hellios - 06-Nov-2006 at 18:08
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 19:34
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I always found it ironical that in a movie about American freedom, the main roles were played by Aussies. I suppose that is a nice example of what America is about... Wink

lol!LOL
Originally posted by flyingzone

Of course, the idea of the creation of national myths is central to the thesis of Benedict Anderson's "Imagined Communities". As a matter of fact, it is not simply the homogenization of the curriculum and the teaching of history that helps to create these national myths, hence boosting the idea of a "national identity" that does not really exist. Anderson shrewdly points out three other institutions of power which eventually help to shape the way in which states imagine its dominion - the census, the map, and the museum. These three institutions correspond flawlessly to the nature of the human beings a state rules, the geography of its domain, and the legitimacy of its ancestry.

Another interesting theory. Historical Museums are something that are quite rare in Australia, and when they are here they exclusively talk about early settlement. A few years ago when the National Museum of Australia was built, it took a very wholistic approach to Australian history and included perspectives about settlement from the aboriginies. One display that caught my attention was a map highlighting numerous battles fought between Aboriginies and the English. No-one ever mentions battles during settlement. I had no idea that conflict went further than farmers shooting at aboriginies before this.
Maybe three-four years ago the Prime Minister appointed Keith Windshuttle (who is a revionist "historian" who'd have you believe that Australia was uninhabited before the English came) as a director to the museum for the explicit purpose of shutting down the "Sorry politics" of the museum. The aboriginal perspectives to settlement were removed, and the traditional pro-white line was reintroduced. Freedom of Speech was yet again quashed by the government.

This definitely was an attempt to delegitimise aboriginal claims, and thereby legitimising white claims to Australia.

(As a side note, after Windshuttle was so successful enforcing government line with the museum, he was transfered to the ABC)

Originally posted by BG Turk

Ataturk wanted to do away with Islam, so his only option was to unify Turks around the concept of Turkishness and nationalism, and yes Turks are quite nationalistic in generla.

I'm no expert on Ataturk, but I do believe he had the Quran translated into turkish and distributed to every household.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 06:41
Originally posted by Chodas

Originally posted by Dampier

Aw, I thought both Netherlands and Belgium got to keep Flanders history. Ah well. Umm...Gwidje Dampiere was French wasnt he...

Uh...There must be one Dutch hero...somewhere...
Maybe Jan Jansz, also known as Murad Rais, who after being enslaved by the (banished andalusians in Sal) became admiral of their fleet and and scored victories against the Spanish and even raided England and Iceland(a deed never repeated by muslims)

Never heard of him... Jan Jansz is a pretty common name (John Johnson).

We used to have heroes. Willibrord, Boniface, Floris V of Holland, Erasmus, Karel V of Habsburg, William of Oranje-Nassau, Maurits of Oranje-Nassau, Frederik-Hendrik of Oranje-Nassau, Piet Heyn, Michiel de Ruyter, Jan Peitersz. Coen, Leeghwater, Huygens, Spinoza, Rembrandt van Rijn, Lodewijk Napoleon, Vincent van Gogh.

I could go on forever, we had plenty, we just don't worship them. They are almost forgotten because Dutch history on schools sucks. The older people still remember, but young people don't know and don't care.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 14:01

Excellent Post Decebal! You have brought up some issues on AE that I thought gravely needed adressing and have done it in a most excellent manner!

I feel that too many people will approach the complex study of history without first reading anything about Historology (the philosphy of history) or reading any of the first historians who speak a great deal about the aims and the subject of history. People need to understand that history is not just the systematic accumilation of historical fact, but also the application of historical method to that fact. It is that historical method that people need to understand, and nationalism is one of the greatest enemies of this method.

We in England seem, quite suspiciously, to chiefly (at least in GCSE and prior) study non-English areas of history, many of which show the English in a position of moral superiority, NATO against the Warsaw pact or the Allies against the Axis in WWII. This clearly shows some kind of way of avoiding our less than friendly past, as we almost completely leave anything to do with the 1700s-1800s out of the sylabus. We need to confront our past as imperialists in order to understand it and ensure that we can make sure that it is not practiced by my country again

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 20:17

I came across the following quote, which is very sobering.

"As long as the human mind is the maker of history, the frontier between myth and fact will be disputed. Perhaps we can blame Aristotle, who said in his Poetics. 'The distinction between historian and poet is not in the one writing prose and the other verse - you might put the work of Herodotus into verse, and it would still be a species of history, it consists realy in this, that the one describes the thing that has been, and the other a kidn of thing that might be. Hence poetry is something more philosophic and of graver import than history, since its statements are of the nature rather of universals, whereas those of history are singulars.'"

"The myth of mythistory, it seems to me, offers historians a more enticing invitation to collegiality than they have heard in a long time. Freed of old and unnecessary parochialisms, we may think of ourselves as distillers who strive to harvest the best rye and malt form the fertile fields of facts, then filter the grains through the patterns our minds create, then age the mash into heady "mythistorical whiskey." Carelessness or adulteration in the harvest will yield an oily beverage that gives even its few loyal consumers a hangover. A spiritless soft frink, on the other hand, though made with the finest ingredients, will intoxicate no one and find few imbibers outside the positivist temperance union."

McDougall, W.A. (1986). "Mais ce n'est pas l'histoire!": Some thoughts on Tonybee, McNeill, and the rest of us. Journal of Mondern History, 58, 19-42.  

I like the word "mythistory". Wink

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:17
I agree with you, flyingzone. I really do think, however, that pure historical method is actually very rigid and not very changing at all. Of course, new historical method is discovered, but the very practice of history must, fundamentally, be as un-bias as possible. People who practice what I call "Nationalist History" are not historians as they do not seek to find out the historical truth behind events, which is what a historian should attempt to do. A historian's job is to say what happened and how it happened, and not to portray it in any other form apart from that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123