Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christian treatment throughout the world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christian treatment throughout the world
    Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by ok ge

As far as I know Marxism in its core is anti-religion. Will be hard to imagine any religion to enjoy rigid communism. But communism is has various applications as much as capitalism. Most countries fall in the middle of the spectrum.

Look for "Liberation theology" on the web. It is surprising that some communist theologists (yes, they exist) have propossed Jesus as the archaetype of the revolutionary

Pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Komnenos

You surely can't blame Non-European societies for being suspicious of Christianity.
During the eras of colonisation it was either the Christan misisonaries that were the first wave of European intruders, or the notion of bringing Christianity to the "poor heathens" was used as an apologetic veil for far more profane ambitions, e.g. economic exploitation.

In many cases you are right, but you can't generalize. I am thinking in the Christianization of Latin America, for instance.

The incredible arrogance and tactlessness with which Christian Churches attempted and succeeded to destroy century old fabrics of societies outside of Europe, must have left a foul taste for all things Christian there.

There is a case that comes to my mind immediately: the Aztec religion. In fact, theirs it was a religion that required large scale human sacrifices to keep the world moving on. I believe in this case, like with Inca's and many other native American religions, where human sacrifices was the norm, something had to be done.

And the Catholic priest did it. They introduced a new religion and a new system of values. But, far from be foundamentalists, they did in a smart and human way. They didn't change the original religions but interpreted them, redesigning it so the peoples mantain theirs roots in a new envelope. That's the case of the Virgin of Guadalupe, which was originally a native godness, and many other syncretic believes of Latin America.

I admire those priests, really. Sometimes people has to act to change certain wrong things in other cultures. And they did because they believe what they do was right. And I agree with them.

Pinguin

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 23:47
Originally posted by hugoestr

Originally posted by Timotheus

Yes, it is interesting how quite often people don't realize that the Christian faith is the one most hated in modern day -- not just among modern liberals, but also in many totalitarian countries and Muslim countries where non-government-sanctioned faiths or non-Muslim faiths are not tolerated.

Timotheus,

You made an incorrect statement. Modern liberals don't hate Christianity. Many of us are Christians ourselves, and many of us became liberals through our reading of the gospels.    

Do pardon me LOL by Christianity, I mean Bible-believing fundamentalists
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 08:06
Jesus was unquestionably a "liberal" - both social and economic - of his time. Can you imagine him dining with CEO's of Haliburton and Enron? Can you imagine him chanting "Fagg_ts go to Hell!" Can you imagine him not wanting universal health care for all, especially the poor and the disenfranchised? Can you imagine Jesus carrying a semi-automatic weapon in his pocket? Can you imagine Jesus advocating to drill the oilfields in Alaska?

Can you not imagine Jesus hanging out with the "social outcasts" - the prostitutes, drug addicts, the homeless, the mentally-ill, and the "minorities" - ethnic, racial, sexual, etc. Can you not imagine Jesus fighting for the rights of the immigrants, people living in the developing world, people living in war zones? Can you not imagine Jesus, who lived in a communal way of living - not seeing social and economic equality as the number one priority of his mission?

On the other hand, who would be the Pharisees and Scribes that Jesus was so critical of, of our time? I can only think of one group of people - the so-called Bible-believing fundamentalists.  

If Jesus were alive today, imagine how those "Bible-believing fundamentalists" would treat him. Just imagine.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:02
Excuse me, once again... LOL but when I said "Bible-believing fundamentalists" I meant "Bible-believing fundamentalists." Not the worthless soggy hulks who inhabit the modern megachurches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12