Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Democracy,compatible with huge population

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Democracy,compatible with huge population
    Posted: 30-May-2007 at 09:29

Nevertheless, the Prime Minister is still the 1 person who is on top.

Though I would argue that the concept of a parlimentary system is somewhat less democratic than the US system because all the power is concentrated into one body, whereas in the US, it is seperated into 3 independent powers that fight one another. Yes, over the last 107 years, the Executive Branch has been gaining a lot of ground for various reasons. Another difference is that Tony Blair is elected into the Parliment by his home district and then becomes Prime Minister. The President of the US is the only person in the US who is elected nationwide.

I'd say that both systems have their good points and bad points. I admit that it is quite entertaining to watch, "Prime Minister's Questions," on C-Span. Much more so, than watching the US congress.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 08:32
Originally posted by LuckyNomad

Which Countries, or Corporations, or organization, doesn't have a Chief Executive on top? Sure there's usually a legislature or board of directors, but there always has to be 1 person who is clearly THE Executive, whether it's Vladamir Putin in 2007 or Drogg the Destroyer in 10,000BC.

A corporation is not a democracy so comparing them is irrelevant.

In countries there are examples. In Germany, England and the Netherlands for example, the queen/president is largely a figurehead with very little to no actual power. The one in effect leading the country is the Prime Minister, but he/she is very heavily tied to the will of the parliament. Acting against the parliament is likely to result in a withdrawal of the support of parliament, making it impossible for the Prime Ministers and his government to reign with any effect.

In a democracy, the power should be in the hands of the peoples representation. They should have the power to act or stop acts. The government is only the tool they use to do so. That is the basis of the Trias Politica.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 07:59
Oddly, Singapore seems to stand alone in the field of having a large educated population, yet no democracy.
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 07:58
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

You have mayors in charge of towns and cities, and governors in charge of provinces/states and 1 person on top. It's like the difference between an infantry squad and an Army Group. It's basically run the same way, just on a larger scale.

I do not think a country with 1 person on top is very democratical at all.

Which Countries, or Corporations, or organization, doesn't have a Chief Executive on top? Sure there's usually a legislature or board of directors, but there always has to be 1 person who is clearly THE Executive, whether it's Vladamir Putin in 2007 or Drogg the Destroyer in 10,000BC.

Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 07:52
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

It's the only choice if you value the rights of the individual.

Democracy doesn't protect the rights of the individual at all. It values the rights of the biggest mob.

I think that's the reason that most "democracies," aren't really true democracies. They're Democratic Republics, which channel all the fickle opinions and desires of the people into a really slow and rarely changing system or representation. But man, I can't wait until US politics starts getting EXTREME. Like in Taiwan, where the representatives kick the crap out of each other in congress.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 07:07

You have mayors in charge of towns and cities, and governors in charge of provinces/states and 1 person on top. It's like the difference between an infantry squad and an Army Group. It's basically run the same way, just on a larger scale.

I do not think a country with 1 person on top is very democratical at all.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by DukeC

Access to information and abilitiy to understand it is more important to a democracy than population size.

To a large extent educated populations demand a say in how they are ruled, which often leads to democracy or at least a democratisation.
Originally posted by Jagiello

I think Sun Tzu said "to rule many is the same as ruling few-it's a matter of organisation".

Well Quoted!Thumbs%20Up
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 04:27
What matters just as much as the population size is Geographical size and wealth per person (ever wonder why the first democracies were relatively wealthy city-states). large democracies often must become representative democracy's which often become mere Aristocracy's so my preference is for direct democracies if possible (there usually not).

Democracy doesn't protect the rights of the individual at all. It values the rights of the biggest mob.

I Completely agreeClap

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 30-May-2007 at 04:28
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 00:02
Here's my two cents: democracy, like any other political system, is designed to keep the population under control and in good order. In any human society there will be an elite of some sort, who are always in control over society via economic or political or religious/ideological means) or a combination thereof. So far, it is the best such system designed, because middle class and poor people either have the feeling in control (whereas the elite is always in that position), or simply tune out politics because they start seeing the current state of events as natural and unchangeable. Other systems are more heavy-handed, and they result in the population being discontent, leading to political subversion and general loss of productivity.

So, in answer to the original question, it doesn't really matter how big the population is, democracy performs this function at the individual level or middle and lower class people.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 07:05
I think Sun Tzu said "to rule many is the same as ruling few-it's a matter of organisation".
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 06:17

What does it mean if a democracy truly "works" in the first place?  Is it one in which there is a hundred per-cent, direct representation?  Benjamin Franklin said that the Constitution would end up being nothing more than a band-aid, and that some kind of totalitarianism would rear its head again.  Maybe the notion of a democracy that starts to not work is one in which the spectrum of debate ends up narrowing itself.  If a population gets big enough, certain voices and segments necessarily become marginalized.  When necessity binds people together, you see democracy in its most unadulterated form.  The colonists of the 18th century railed against something in a time of urgency.  The Constitution reflects what their (ostensibly, the entire population's) contemporary fears were about evil governments.  So many factors have entered into the equation over the last couple of hundred years, that our collective sense of need has completely changed.  This tiny segment cares about the loss of the second amendment, this sizeable chunk cares about whether Paris Hilton goes to the slammer, this group cares about global warming.  I do not think it is possible for the United States to function democractically at this point--at least not the way the Founding Fathers might have intended.  At this point, its just a vehicle that gets driven by the guy with the best PR.  Whatever the case, I'll take American democracy on its worst day over North Korean totalitarianism on its best.

Edited by jacob - 14-May-2007 at 06:18
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 22:35
Why can't Democracy work in a country with over 1 billion people? It certainly works in a country with over 300 million. I'm sure that people in Belgium wonder how Democracy works in a country as big as Germany and the Germans wonder how it can work in a country as big as the US. It's merely a matter of breaking it down, just like with any other government. You have mayors in charge of towns and cities, and governors in charge of provinces/states and 1 person on top. It's like the difference between an infantry squad and an Army Group. It's basically run the same way, just on a larger scale.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 12:54
Originally posted by pinguin

Access to information and abilitiy to understand it is more important to a democracy than population size. Which is why there's censorship in China and why there's so much manipualtion of the media in the west.

Dictatorship is incompatible with a free market economy. If China continues to be sucessful economically it will have to turn to democracy. Otherwise things will explode in social revolts. They will start at the first economical downturn.

It has happened many times before. There is nothing to stop it to happens in China.

Pinguin

I agree.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 23:49

Access to information and abilitiy to understand it is more important to a democracy than population size. Which is why there's censorship in China and why there's so much manipualtion of the media in the west.

Dictatorship is incompatible with a free market economy. If China continues to be sucessful economically it will have to turn to democracy. Otherwise things will explode in social revolts. They will start at the first economical downturn.

It has happened many times before. There is nothing to stop it to happens in China.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 23:47

...Well,my opinion is the idiots that can't even read shouldn't be allowed to rule and determine the faith of all others.They shouldn't be slaves and have no rights but also shouldn't be masters and their votes to be with same value as those of the educated people.And after all,slaves don't choose to be slaves.They are either born or made slaves.Most of the uneducated people have chosen to leave school or just didn't want to learn.I'm talking about the wealthy countryes where even the poor can become educated.

The idea of democracy is that idiots cancel it out LOL.

If you make a election system where only the smart and educated can vote, it won't be a democracy anymore, but a meritocracy. Something like the bureocrats of ancient China.

Democracy is the believe ALL MAN ARE equal, regardless of education, social possition and even intelligence.

That's what most people in the West believe in. Even the underdeveloped Latin America have very clear that democracy is the voice of the masses, particularly the ones that lack education.

Pinguin

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 22:02

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by gcle2003

I allso think it's not compatible with huge amounts of people simply because most of them don't even have primary education and vote emotionaly for parties that they connect with personal ideas or experiances.Such voting leeds to the electing of communist and nationalist parties.The best form of democracy for me is when only people that graduated College or University or atleast High school can vote.It's simply not fare for me that the vote of an educated Doctor of science or even a Proffesor is equal to the vote of an idiot that can't even read for example but votes because he was prommised good future from a party.This might sound like oligarchy but that kind of "citizenship" in Rome for example worked perffectly,although it wasn't democracy.Just imagine if we put this way of giving "citizenship" only to people that graduated and are considered educated and only they can vote.It would not be somekind of aristocrathic title and would not be recieved as a heritage.If you remember because of the "stupid" crowds did communism prosper in many countries and the intelectual groupswere destroyed.

Sounds very like Aristotle's argument justifying slavery. The 'idiots who can't even read' have to be looked after and guided by those who can.

Well,my opinion is the idiots that can't even read shouldn't be allowed to rule and determine the faith of all others.They shouldn't be slaves and have no rights but also shouldn't be masters and their votes to be with same value as those of the educated people.And after all,slaves don't choose to be slaves.They are either born or made slaves.Most of the uneducated people have chosen to leave school or just didn't want to learn.I'm talking about the wealthy countryes where even the poor can become educated.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 09:29

I allso think it's not compatible with huge amounts of people simply because most of them don't even have primary education and vote emotionaly for parties that they connect with personal ideas or experiances.Such voting leeds to the electing of communist and nationalist parties.The best form of democracy for me is when only people that graduated College or University or atleast High school can vote.It's simply not fare for me that the vote of an educated Doctor of science or even a Proffesor is equal to the vote of an idiot that can't even read for example but votes because he was prommised good future from a party.This might sound like oligarchy but that kind of "citizenship" in Rome for example worked perffectly,although it wasn't democracy.Just imagine if we put this way of giving "citizenship" only to people that graduated and are considered educated and only they can vote.It would not be somekind of aristocrathic title and would not be recieved as a heritage.If you remember because of the "stupid" crowds did communism prosper in many countries and the intelectual groups were destroyed. 

Sounds very like Aristotle's argument justifying slavery. The 'idiots who can't even read' have to be looked after and guided by those who can.

sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 09:15

When it comes to the question of individual rights and freedom, nothing compares with Anarchy. Look at this:

No political philosophy I ever heard of loves the human race as much as Anarchism. Every other way of looking at the world says that people have to be controlled and ordered around and governed. Only Anarchism trusts the human being enough to let him work it out for himself.

Didier in Shantaram - G D Roberts

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 07:42
Things like maths,psysics,chemistry were learnt on a big scale in communist countries because they don't have anythong to do with ideology-the "tabu" topic in communist countries.Subjects like phylosophy,ethics,law(roman and international),politics and especially history were almost forgoten.History for example was being written by special members of the communist party so that people learn how great Russia and how bad the west was.So,as a whole,education wasn't as good for the whole population-good for scientists that won't revolt.Intelectuls like phylosophers and good historians however were a rare site and weren't treated very well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>