Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgerian Genocide!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algerian Genocide!!!
    Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 03:40
Approximately 1.5 million Algerian Muslim Arabs were tortured and massacred under the French rule according to the Algerian sources  1.5 million dead, while French officials estimated it at 350,000. [http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/alpha/algeria1954.htm Algeria Independence France 1954-1962] Algerians argue that the massacres should be named as genocide and France must apologise from the Algerians. However the French do not accept the claims. Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika says that French colonization of his country Algeria was a form of genocide. In memoirs, some French officers have described torture of Algerians during the war, however France has never accepted its responsibility in tortures and massacres in Algeria. Paris says that the past should be left to historians. French President Jacques Chirac, upon harsh reactions to the law encouraging the good sides of the French colonial history, made the statement, "Writing history is the job of the historians, not of the laws." Writing history is the job of the historians"  According to Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, "speaking about the past or writing history is not the job of the parliament."[http://www.zaman.com/?bl=international&alt=&trh=20051210&hn=27378 France in Favor of So-Called Genocide Resorts to Historians]

The Algerian president [[Bouteflika]] said in a speech in Paris on [[17 April]] 2006 "We no longer know whether we are Berbers (indigenous North Africans), Arabs, Europeans or French. France committed a genocide of Algerian identity during the colonial era. Colonisation brought the genocide of our identity, of our history, of our language, of our
traditions."[http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=583792006 Algerian leader calls colonisation 'genocide', Scotsman]

[[Algeria]] first became a colony of France in 1830. After a war which ended in Algeria's independence in 1962, eight million Algerian residents were deprived of French nationality and hundreds of thousands of 'pieds noir' (French who settled in Algeria and were re-patriated at the end of the war) were forced home to a place which was not home.

[[Algeria]] called on [[France]] to apologise in 2005 for crimes committed during the colonial era. Bouteflika also urged Paris to admit its part in the massacres of 45,000 Algerians who took to the streets to demand independence as Europe celebrated victory over Nazi Germany in 1945. French authorities then responded by playing down the comments, urging "mutual respect".

The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 05:41
...and what is your opinon...

as far as im concerned this links in with "should races forced to become servants of other races be apologised to" eg: Egypt-Nubia
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 06:05
i think france have meet face to face with his emperialistic historys wrongs...I can still see their historic traces in their behaviours...

Edited by EGETRK - 08-Oct-2006 at 06:06
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 06:25
Originally posted by EGETάRK

i think france have meet face to face with his emperialistic historys wrongs...I can still see their historic traces in their behaviours...
France make some steps forward. The first statement towards the recognition of massacres comes this year from French Ambassador in Algeria. Ambassador Hubert Colin de Verdiere visited to Setif on February in order to commemorate those who were killed in massacres and said that Setif massacre is an "unforgiving tragedy".

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Barnier reminded that Ambassador's statement is the French observation and this demonstrated that France has given importance to "memory workings" in relations with Algeria which is a brother country.

And  EGETURK as Barnier said, everybody must face with history...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 06:53
Akritas
France make some steps forward. The first statement towards the recognition of massacres comes this year from French Ambassador in Algeria. Ambassador Hubert Colin de Verdiere visited to Setif on February in order to commemorate those who were killed in massacres and said that Setif massacre is an "unforgiving tragedy".

What nonsense, France has made no steps, its practically taboo, the Algerians went through not only physical massacres but a cultural one aswell.

Forget about recognising it, France introduced a ruling stating that "Colonialism" be taught in a positive light, the audacity of it.

Now what makes it worse is that France jumps on a moral high horse and tries to force other countries to accept things which are nothing to do with France what-so-ever.

Its a totally hypocritical stance, such hyperbolic hypocrasy its unbelievable. Don't through stones if you live in a glass house.

EgeTurk has raised a good point, if France wishes to get all moralistic and tell Turkey it must accept crimes against Armenians, why on Earth should Turkey not turn around and say well we Recognise the Algerian Genocide for example what happened at Şubetl-Lahm not only that also that you pay compensation to the effects of the slave trade which France was one of the last European countries to stop, for its crimes in the America's against its indegenous people and so on. Turkey has the right to take such a stance, it should, so France can wake up and remove its rose tinted glasses about its past.

A tragedy, an unfortunate event, Turkey says the same about the Armenian issue and Turkey opened the Ottoman Archives and called for a joint platform for objective research on the matter.

So what's the difference? When Turkey does it there evil demons, when French do it their "taking steps", sorry but I can't stand two-faced double standards, its the worst human trait!

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Oct-2006 at 06:57
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

mermaid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 06:57

France recognises it as a massacre,but she refuses to call it 'genocide'...so we can not say they have made some steps forward...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:00
Turkey accepts there was massacres in WW1 against Armenians but refuses to call it a Genocide..

What's the difference,

France isn't in a position to start calling the shots as its in the same boat, what's worse is its a hypocrite and tries to pretend its standing up for its moral beliefs, which vanish when the subject moves to Algerian Genocide, Colonialism, the crimes comitted in the America's and so on.....    

France is just digging itself a hole, Turkey believe it or not was probobly the most pro-France country there was, which has drastically changed, France doesn't have many admirers around the world either you know.

Plus, people in Turkey are pushing their polliticians and councils to accept the Algerian Genocide, Turkey has excellent relations with Algeria both in modern day and historically so people are callilng it a duty.

What if Turkey and Algeria call for it to be recognised in the OIC summit and 50 or so countries accept it, plus Latin American countries, oh and the U.S doesn't particullary have the greatest of relations with France either, with pressure growing on France they could use it as a tool against her.

Lets see who has the last laugh, this foreign policy of France is bound to backfire very soon.

The Armenian issue is a problem of Turkey and Armenia not of anybody else. However, if others try to get involved then they shouldn't complain if Turkey gets involved in the past they'd like to forget and put the ball in their court.

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Oct-2006 at 07:06
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

mermaid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:19
I totally agree with you Bulldog...My answer is for Akritas who is greek to everything.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:40
Every one  follow theirs way  like your Turkish  route dear neighbours. French owns of course. And to opened a thread in order to cover up your genocides is just to drop ashes in your eyes blindness.
Mermaid of course I am Greek.Are you American ?

Edited by akritas - 08-Oct-2006 at 07:43
mermaid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:48

Akritas please learn the difference between massacre and genocide then comment on the topic ok?
I know that you are Greek and I also know you are greek to everything...Can you read between the lines?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:50
Again more double standards and hypocracisy, Turkey can argue that France is trying to cover up its past by getting involved with something that doesn't involve them. France started this and is purposely causing Turcophobic sentiment, Turkey now has every right to stand up to the bully that is France and tell her to accept her own history before pointing fingers at others.    
Albert Pine

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:56
Does Turkey recognise any genocide or any massarce?
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:58
Originally posted by mermaid

Akritas please learn the difference between massacre and genocide then comment on the topic ok?
I know that you are Greek and I also know you are greek to everything...Can you read between the lines?
I have learned this line since I raise and born in this region mermaid.The problem is  if you understand the significance of to see what I done the past and not the others.
You didn't answer me . Are you American or not ?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:00
Originally posted by mermaid

France recognises it as a massacre,but she refuses to call it 'genocide'

I don't think France intended to wipe out all Algerians, so horrible as it was, it was not a genocide.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:12
You don't "think". Well Algerians don't only say they "think" they say that they "know" that what the French did was a genocide against them. There are areas like Şubetl-Lahm "The Valley of flesh/meat/corspes" where Algerians say the French tried to exterminate them.    

France is in no position to start pointing fingers and getting itself involved in "foreign affairs" which have nothing to do with France.

Besides, more sticky details could emerge, like what France did when it invaded Turkey in WW1, why it was training and arming Armenian battalians in the Hatay region etc etc

Akritas
The problem is if you understand the significance of to see what I done the past and not the others.

Well its exactly what France is doing, trying to point fingers at others while not adressing their past first. Turkey's stance to this is a reaction against the initial hypocrasy.

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Oct-2006 at 08:15
Albert Pine

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:23

They were massacres of genocidal proportion, The french folly was foolish and detrimental to France and Algeria. But my sympathies on this are with the Algerians.

Bulldog has point about double standards.
mermaid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:35
'Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education; they grow there, firm as weeds among rocks.'

This quote of Charlotte Bronte represents some people in this forum,so no matter how hard you try you can never change their minds as they're hypocrites and prejudiced to death.So Egeturk,Bulldog,Malizai do not bother to spend your precious time on these kind of people...Just ignore them!!!

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:57

The term 'Genocide' was coined by a jurist named Raphael Lemkin in 1944 by combining the Greek word 'genos' (race) with the Latin word 'cide' (killing). Genocide as defined by the United Nations in 1948 means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, including: (a) killing members of the group (b) causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group (c) deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part (d) imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group (e) forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

The term genocide was connected with Nazi holocaust 1938 - 1945
against the Jewish and was used  Nuremberg Trials .
I think its normal no state to want to connected with Nazi.
On the other hand if a nation feel that  massacre another nation
can apologized officially and finished.
Furthermore i think that all the people and nations  are capable for the best and for the worst.Agood example is the Germans contribution to the   world wide culture i remind you some names Theologian Luther ,Lessing, Goethe, Schiller, Kleist ,Hoffmann,Friedrich Hlderlin, Heinrich Heine, Annette von Droste-Hlshoff, Theodor Fontane, Rainer Maria Rilke , Thomas Mann, Hermann Hesse, Heinrich Bll  , Gnter Grass , Brecht , Magnus, Leibniz, Kant, Herder, Mendelssohn, Novalis, Fichte, Hegel, Marx, Engels, Feuerbach, Schopenhauer, Schweitzer, Nietzsche, Husserl, Hartmann, Jaspers, Luxemburg, Heidegger, Arendt, Steiner, Gadamer , Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Franz Kafka .
These were the best everybody knows the worst.

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 09:07

Originally posted by Bulldog

Akritas
The problem is if you understand the significance of to see what I done the past and not the others.

Well its exactly what France is doing, trying to point fingers at others while not adressing their past first. Turkey's stance to this is a reaction against the initial hypocrasy.

Turkey i think is also doing this , remind  the "obligation" of the others but on the same subject is not doing nothing internal.

Edited by Antioxos - 08-Oct-2006 at 09:21
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 09:10
Originally posted by Bulldog

Akritas

Agree for the French hypocrisy and I am against in anyone that speak for  crimes of others when the  hypocrisy is deeeply in his home. That's I am trying to say.
If the Algerian Genocide has happened let the Algerians and French to debate. You as Turk look your home first and leave the others problems to solve them alone.

Edited by akritas - 08-Oct-2006 at 09:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>