Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Battle
    Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:34
Originally posted by ataman

The battle of Trzciana 1629 (the Poles vs the Swedes commanded by Gustaw Adolf). My ancestor captured Swedish banner in that battle.

Was Your ancestor one of Winged Hussars?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 23:39
Originally posted by Majkes

Originally posted by ataman

The battle of Trzciana 1629 (the Poles vs the Swedes commanded by Gustaw Adolf). My ancestor captured Swedish banner in that battle.

Was Your ancestor one of Winged Hussars?

Yes, he was. According to tradition spoken by my family, he served in Koniecpolski's hussars banner and he captured Swedish banner in that battle.
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:32
Right...
I love to do every of jobs in the shortest time and overwhelm 'em all easily .
That's why i love the Battle of MOHAC at where the Magyar army is disbanded and defeated approximately 2 hours .

If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:50
The siege of Constantinople is in my opinion the greatest battle of all time. The Byzantines had to defend their capital with only about 7000 me against the giant Ottoman army of 350,000 men. It was fifty to one for the Byzantines, but even with this large gap in forses, The Byzantines were able to hold out for months against their extremly large army and killed a large amount of their forces, but none the less, the Byzantines lost and the RomanEmpire Finally ended.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 18:16
Originally posted by Emperor Liu Bei

The siege of Constantinople is in my opinion the greatest battle of all time. The Byzantines had to defend their capital with only about 7000 me against the giant Ottoman army of 350,000 men. It was fifty to one for the Byzantines, but even with this large gap in forses, The Byzantines were able to hold out for months against their extremly large army and killed a large amount of their forces, but none the less, the Byzantines lost and the RomanEmpire Finally ended.

More reliable figures are 7-8000 on the side of Constantinople on land, with perhaps a little over 100,000 for the Ottoman forces. On sea it was about 23 Christian ships against over 300 Ottoman ships, though the individual Christian ships were considerably larger on average and had superior quality marines.

Edited by Constantine XI - 12-Oct-2006 at 19:20
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 19:04
Constantine, are you sure? 10.000? This the first time that i hear so low numbers Question
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 19:20
Sorry, amigo, I forgot to add an extra zero Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 22:31
Originally posted by Vikingrage

The Battle of Thermopoly. 300 Spartans vs The Persian Army.

how many other forces were there? i have heard that the athens navy came later, but when the 300 spartans were fighting, there were other greeks there too right?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 04:05
The story is that the Spartans held the pass and so gave the Athenians time to retreat to their city and evacuate it, and assemble a fleet for a counterattack.
But of course reeality could be different...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 05:38
Originally posted by Quinnthology

Originally posted by Vikingrage

The Battle of Thermopoly. 300Spartans vs The Persian Army.

how many other forces were there? i have heard that the athens navy came later, but when the 300 spartans were fighting, there were other greeks there too right?

According to Herodotus,Greek troops were 5.200 (Diodorus Siculus adds 1000 Lacedaemonian "psiloi"-auxiliaries.)
300 of them were Spartans.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Sorry, amigo, I forgot to add an extra zero

Thumbs Up
Vikingrage View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Vikingrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 15:21
The Greek Army was up against the Persian Army, the Greek army was outnumbers by far. The Greek army went and retreated, except for the Spartans and 200 thesbians. The Spartan General said to his army "It is time to do our duty." rather then retreat. The Spartan General let some spartans who had small children return to their familes, the rest stayed leaving 300 + 200 thesbians against the Persian army. Ive heared all sorts of numbers, my History teacher said it was about a Million Persians against 500 Greeks. But Ive also heared it was 100,000 Persians which lost 20,000 to the Spartans at Thermopolae.
leif erikson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote leif erikson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 03:54
Tours

Hastings

Waterloo

Culloden

Gettysburgh

and some other battles I don't remember the name at this time
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 07:42

Battle of Britain

Malta

Stalingrad

All of the Ironbottom Sound

Kursk

VasluiBig smile

EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 09:15

anakkale,ankara war(temur-yıldırım)

The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Great Khan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Great Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 14:16
1.Battle of Chalons
2.Battle of Ctesiphone
3.Battle of Anchialo
4.Battle of Kosovo Pole (which proved the tactical of the ottomans over the christian forces)
5.Battle of Veliko Tarnovo (15 000 bulgarians vs.80000 turks we hold the city for 2 months)
6.The battle of Tours
7.The battle of Cannae
8.The battle of Zama
9.Telamon
10.The battle of Slivnitsa
this are my favorite battles

bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 17:15
I would have to say Gettysburg.  The idea that a battle could start out a complete accident and end up one of the biggest and most important in American history has always been a little bit entertaining.  
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 18:51
Originally posted by Heraclius

Cannae and Ilipa jointly, two examples of supreme genius on the battlefield, from disadvantage to the total annihilation of the opposing army with startling ease.

Took the words right out of my mouth Heraclius. Definatly my favourite battles. Though Agincourt would have to come pretty close.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 20:25
In no particular order:
Gettysburg, Vitkov Hill, Culloden, Stirling Bridge, Bannockburn, Grunwald, Saratoga, Cowpens, and New Orleans.

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 07:47
My favourite battles in the bulgarian history are:
Battle of Anchialus in 917
Battle of Pliska in 811
Second Siege of Constantinople 717-718

My favourite battle at all is the battle of Kursk.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>