Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Battle
    Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:29
I don't know if this has been a topic already because I'm new, but I was wonder what everyone's favorite battle is. This can be from any empire or civilization or time period. I'm trying to learn more about military history so I figured this would be a good way. Say your battle and then give a little bit of info on it.

My favorite battle is the Battle of New Orleans in 1814. Led by Andrew Jackson, the US forces were said to have taken down 2,000 British soldiers in half an hour, suffering only 70 casualties. Unfortunately it was two weeks after a peace treaty had been signed!

What about everyone else?
LilLou View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LilLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 17:13

the siege of rome 536-538ad when outnumbered 20 to 1 Belisarius managed to defeat the gothic army with only 3000 men.

Vikingrage View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Vikingrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 17:17
The Battle of Thermopoly. 300 Spartans vs The Persian Army.

Harald Hardrade is my Hero though, and he was in many Battles.
olkiej View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote olkiej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 18:16
manzikert , owned byzantine asses
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 19:40
 Cannae and Ilipa jointly, two examples of supreme genius on the battlefield, from disadvantage to the total annihilation of the opposing army with startling ease.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 21:17
Nordlingen, 1634

http://www.geocities.com/aow1617/Nordlingen2.html

And Rocroi, 1643

http://www.geocities.com/aow1617/Rocroi2.html

Of course other battles of the gunpowder era, like Breitenfield or Lutzen; from the medieval times i like very much the crusader battles as Hattin and Arsuf.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 21:21
I have always enjoyed Stalingrad, the clash of arms on a simply epic scale and for an epic outcome.

I find I am always impressed by defenders who, badly under-resourced compared to their opponents, make novel and clever use of whatever is available to defeat their opponents. For this reason I found the Gallic-Roman siege inside a siege of Alesia to be brilliant. Belisarius' defence of Rome is also a very big winner in my book.

Edited by Constantine XI - 07-Oct-2006 at 21:22
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 22:18
The Battle of Cable Street. It's the only battle I'd really have enjoyed being at.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 22:27
I like the battles of Stirling Bridge and Bannockburn because of the tactical genuises of Andrew Moray and Robert the Bruce. I also like the battle of Prestonpans, which still showed that swords could be used effectively against 18th century armies. I also like the Battle of Cowpens during the American Revolution, where it was shown that militia could be used effectively.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa - 07-Oct-2006 at 22:28

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 22:29
Originally posted by Paul

The Battle of Cable Street. It's the only battle I'd really have enjoyed being at.

lmfao...good.  I looked it up.

Edited by Hellios - 07-Oct-2006 at 23:41
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:28
I agree with Heraclius that Canae was probably one of the most amazing battles in history.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 09:15
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have always enjoyed Stalingrad, the clash of arms on a simply epic scale and for an epic outcome.

I think Stalingrad is in a league of its own, to crazy and chaotic to be considered a single battle IMO, battle of Stalingrad, siege of Stalingrad, to many men died for me to decide what the hell Stalingrad was other than a bloodbath.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 09:51

Canne was a great battle,but Hannibal knows how to gain a victory,but didn't know how to use it.

my favorite battle is Gazala,in this battle Rommel proved he is the master of war's tactics he smashed the 8th british army.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:26
The battle of Maldon. Great poetry, never knew there was so much time for talking while fighting...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
jacobtowne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote jacobtowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 11:54

jacobtowne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote jacobtowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 12:00
The Battle of Midway in 1942, when U.S. naval aviators turned the tide of the war in the Pacific by sinking four Japanese aircraft carriers.

Midway also demonstrated that the destruction wrought on American warships, aircraft, buildings, and lives on Oahu and the Philippines by fleet-based Japanese aircraft in December of 1941 was not a fluke, thereby changing the nature of modern warfare forever and bringing down the curtain on the era of the great battleships.

It was a sad day, to see the beginning of the end of those magnificent battlewagons.

JT

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 05:36
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I find I am always impressed by defenders who, badly under-resourced
compared to their opponents, make novel and clever use of whatever is
available to defeat their opponents. For this reason I found the
Gallic-Roman siege inside a siege of Alesia to be brilliant. Belisarius'
defence of Rome is also a very big winner in my book.

I think Stalingrad for me. Against the odds.
I also like the Normandy. It was a huge operation
And naval of Salamian between Athens and Persia

Samos national guard.

260 days left.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 06:38
The battle of Trzciana 1629 (the Poles vs the Swedes commanded by Gustaw Adolf). My ancestor captured Swedish banner in that battle.
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 06:52
Las Navas de Tolosa. When the Christian kingdoms in Spain joined its armies to defeat muslims.
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 11:45
Originally posted by Barbarroja

Las Navas de Tolosa. When the Christian kingdoms in Spain joined its armies to defeat muslims.

Sure Clap, one of the greatest if not the greatest (in numbers) of the Medieval times, very important historically.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>