Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China zaps U.S. spy satellite with a laser blast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China zaps U.S. spy satellite with a laser blast
    Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 08:01
They did not use enough power to cause any permanent damage though. But still, its risky behavior don't you think? I mean what if the Pentagon gets offended and recalls all spy satellites from over china. LOL

China jamming test sparks U.S. satellite concerns

By Andrea Shalal-Esa

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - China has beamed a ground-based laser at U.S. spy satellites over its territory, a U.S. agency said, in an action that exposed the potential vulnerability of space systems that provide crucial data to American troops and consumers around the world.

The Defense Department remains tight-lipped about details, including which satellite was involved or when it occurred.

The Pentagon's National Reconnaissance Office Director Donald Kerr last week acknowledged the incident, first reported by Defense News, but said it did not materially damage the U.S. satellite's ability to collect information.

"It makes us think," Kerr told reporters.

The issue looms large, given that U.S. military operations have rapidly grown more reliant on satellite data for everything from targeting bombs to relaying communications to spying on enemy nations.

Critical U.S. space assets include a constellation of 30 Global Positioning Satellites that help target bombs and find enemy locations. This system is also widely used in commercial applications, ranging from car navigation systems to automatic teller machines.

The Pentagon also depends on communications satellites that relay sensitive messages to battlefield commanders, and satellites that track weather in critical areas so U.S. troops can plan their missions.

"Space is a much bigger part of our military posture than it used to be, so any effort by the Chinese or anybody else to jam our satellites is potentially a big deal," said Loren Thompson, defense analyst with the Virginia-based Lexington Institute.

Edited by maqsad - 06-Oct-2006 at 08:06
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 08:06

Clearly, the incident sparked fresh concerns among U.S. officials and watchdog groups about the U.S. ability to determine if satellite problems are caused by malfunctions, weather anomalies like solar flares, or targeted attacks.

Air Force Space Commander Gen. Kevin Chilton said it was often difficult to know exactly what happened to satellites orbiting from 125 to 22,400 miles above the earth.

"We're at a point where the technology's out there and the capability for people to do things to our satellites is there. I'm focused on it beyond any single event," Chilton said.

Satellites are also vulnerable to man-made and natural events affecting their ground stations and the links between the station and the satellite, he told reporters last week.

Theresa Hitchens of the Center for Defense Information cautioned against jumping to conclusions about the Chinese incident.

Beijing may have been testing its capability to track satellites, not damage them, Hitchens said. "We don't know their intent, and we don't have the capability to know."

Hitchens also noted current technology made it difficult to identify anything smaller than a baseball in the orbits where spy satellites fly, a capability that needed to be improved.

At the same time, she said, the Pentagon would be prudent to use lower-cost and lower-risk systems closer to earth to do some critical tasks like surveillance and communications.

Hitchens also emphasized that it would be extremely difficult to disable a satellite with a laser -- and even U.S. scientists had not developed a system to do that.

But there is growing concern among lawmakers about U.S. efforts to develop such anti-satellite weapons.

House of Representatives lawmakers tried to block a planned test of Starfire, a satellite and star tracking program, for fiscal 2007 after learning it could also be used as an anti-satellite weapon. The funds were reinstated only after the Air Force assured lawmakers it would be used only for tracking.

< ="http://int1.fp.sandpiper.net/reuters/editorial/s/AC_RunActiveContent.js" ="text/"> < ="text/"> AC_FL_RunContent('codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0','width','175','height','130','align','middle','src','http://today.reuters.com/media/editorial/election2006/electionsNews_3headlines_v1','quality','high','bgcolor','#ffffff','name','foo','allowscriptaccess','always','pluginspage','http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer','movie','http://today.reuters.com/media/editorial/election2006/electionsNews_3headlines_v1' ); < code="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" name="foo" id="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" align="middle" height="130" width="175">< name="movie" value="http://today.reuters.com/media/editorial/election2006/electionsNews_3lines_v1.swf"> < name="quality" value="high"> < name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"> < name="allowaccess" value="always"> < ="http://today.reuters.com/media/editorial/election2006/electionsNews_3lines_v1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="foo" allowaccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashp" ="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="130" width="175"> < id="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" code="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="175" height="130" id="rssReader_v2" align="middle"> < name="allowAccess" value="always"> < name="movie" value="http://today.reuters.com/media/editorial/election2006/electionsNews_3lines_v1.swf" />< name="quality" value="high" />< name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />< ="http://today.reuters.com/media/editorial/election2006/electionsNews_3lines_v1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="175" height="130" name="rssReader_v2" align="middle" allowAccess="sameDomain" ="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashp" />

The Chinese incident also underscored the need to develop an international code of conduct for space. Currently, there are no specific rules or treaties governing behavior of the 40 countries that operate satellites, and about a dozen countries that have launch capability, Hitchens said.

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 08:16
The next weapon era has just begun !
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 09:47
yes i read that they had such a technolgy, let the new cold war begin.....
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 11:42
I dont think this one will be a cold one.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 11:48
Well there is a simple solution, stop spying, provoking and being nasty.  Sit down around a table and discuss like civilised human beings.

Why a deterrent is indispensible and why the world's ruling cartels do not want technology proliferation, it would mean the end of their dictating terms to others.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 11:52
Originally posted by Zagros

Well there is a simple solution, stop spying, provoking and being nasty.  Sit down around a table and discuss like civilised human beings.

Sure, that's likely to happen.

I, for one, am glad.  If the Chinese keep doing this, it will finally wake Americans up to the fact that China will be the greatest threat to American superpowerdom in the coming century, and we shall respond accordingly in our diplomatic, military, and technological efforts.
Member of IAEA
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:08
i think they're already awake to that fact , why else spy?
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:12
Chinese really have such systems.I read that during war in iraq china used it to jam US GPS sattelites and many cruise missiles didnt hit their targets because of that.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:49
I heard during the bosnian war the Chinese used some of their new radar/laser painting technology on US stealth bombers and thats why the CIA arranged to blow up the chinese embassy as revenge.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 16:52
Fascinating, we move into a new era. I agree that moves such as this will shift the US's rather myopic fixation on the Muslim world to the far more substantial power of China.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 17:58
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Fascinating, we move into a new era. I agree that moves such as this
will shift the US's rather myopic fixation on the Muslim world to the
far more substantial power of China.

They've been well aware of China for a long time. The amount of espionage and tech stealing the Chinese have done of recent years has opened their eyes. Its also known China has been actively researching and devoloping directed energy weapons for a few years now. http://www.heritage.org/Research/AsiaandthePacific/wm346.cfmThis at the same time putting the U.S. in check trying to get the UN to ban conventional and non conventional weapons in space. I wouldnt fall into a trap on this article. Notice how it ended with a budgeting issue on a program under review. It very well could be typical american progaganda thing to get congress to hand out some money to programs on the chopping block. Also this laser wasnt strong enough to do anything and could be China trying to get the U.S. to waste money on programs. Remember the fictitious Star Wars program and the money it cost the Soviet Union?

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 19:58
Originally posted by Genghis

Sure, that's likely to happen.

I, for one, am glad.  If the Chinese keep doing this, it will finally wake Americans up to the fact that China will be the greatest threat to American superpowerdom in the coming century,

I agree, but I can't understand why they did it.  Satellites crossings are not considered airspace violations and the satellite was not damaged.  Now, we know thery have the capability and can plan accordingly.  

I think that the economic focus point of the world is going to shift to China and India.  Both of these countries have made it clear that they intend to develop their military capabilities to advance with their rising economic capabilities.
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 17:52
The mentioned technologies aren't something new and probably do exist. In the final years of the SU such "strange" things had happened to the US spy satellites over Siberia, including a case with a space shuttle, which provoked an official protest from the American side.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:11

Because you spy on everybody, so that when you are awakened to the existence of a potential threat it isn't one of the rather rude types of awakening.
Member of IAEA
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:57
Originally posted by Genghis

Because you spy on everybody, so that when you are awakened to the existence of a potential threat it isn't one of the rather rude types of awakening.

this is very true, i was told by one of our navy boys, that they caught a US sub sitting of our west australian coast (doing what subs do) and when they told HQ they were told to just pretend its not there and move on.

And thats the US on its are close allies, why? becuase they can.

Edited by Leonidas - 08-Oct-2006 at 22:04
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 00:05
Probably for training reasons as well, as you said, the Australians didn't depth charge it when the sub crew was discovered.  The Russians did much the same thing to the Swedes during the Cold War.
Member of IAEA
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 09:04
Originally posted by Leonidas

i was told by one of our navy boys, that they caught a US sub sitting of our west australian coast (doing what subs do) and when they told HQ they were told to just pretend its not there and move on.

LOLLOLLOL

Sorry, but I was just trying to imagine:

A submarine, scooting around in Aussie waters, doing whatever subs do....

Suddenly, a ping...
and another....

"contact" calls the sonar."American sub daed ahead"
"Radio, make contact with HQ!"

"kgggggzzzzeerm, This is Alpha to Base, we have a contact"
"kkkggsk This is Base , What kind of contact?"
"zzzgk American sub"
"kggggzzzts you sure?"
"aggggzzkt Positive! "

[silence, apart from zooming static on the line]

"kkkkggggzzzz, em Alpha? "
"gggkkkt Yessir?"
"Kggzztz Just Ignore them"
"kggzttzz Ignore them, sir?"
"ggggkkzkzkz Affirmative"
"kkkzzok Oh, well, ok then... out"

"Well lads, you heard him, just ignore it...."

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 10:01
hehe, somthing like that (except it wasnt a sub on our side but one of our frigates)

they sit on the sea floor and just listen/snoop  (thats what i ment by doing what subs do)
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 01:31

Seeing how things are going in Earth, I see the next world power will be China in 20 or 30 years and the EU with China in 50 or 60 year. They will be 2 great world powers in 2060 AD EU and China, but I do not think the U.S. Cry

Spooky thoughts for us Americans but Empires come and go But seeing how China is growing and its middle class as well. And how the U.S. middle class is going away slowly and are economy is going down the tubs as well  As for the EU if they just become as one they will be a world power with China

Edited by Praetorian - 27-Oct-2006 at 01:39
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>