Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cities of great contributions to mankind - Edited.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which City has contributed more to the civilization of mankind?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
16 [45.71%]
2 [5.71%]
3 [8.57%]
2 [5.71%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
9 [25.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cities of great contributions to mankind - Edited.
    Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 22:58
Cities of great contributions to mankind - Edited 08-Oct-2006.

Dear all who've posted in this thread so far,

Your time/effort was not a waste.  I've made major changes, and have managed to include just about every city that you nominated up to now during the thread.  Please have a look.  I hope this makes up for the unfairness of having excluded so many deserving cities.

Best wishes.

Edited by Hellios - 11-Oct-2006 at 15:21
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 23:10
Historic Men of Athens (scroll pointer over faces for names):
If scrolling over the faces doesn't give u the names try doing it on this page: http://www.sikyon.com/athens/MenOfAthens/athenians_eg.html

Aischylos Socrates Plato Isocrates Solon
Sofokles Aischynes Aristoteles Theophrastos Themistokles
Euripides Lysias Antisthenes Aristeides Miltiades
Aristophanes Thoukidides Demosthenes Epikouros Perikles

Edited by Hellios - 05-Oct-2006 at 03:55
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 23:42
Hard to judge. All the above-mentioned cities have made contributions. I would consider London and NYC  to be late-comers in the club; they have mostly contibuted in 20th century cinvilization as centers of culture and the arts. As a born Athenian, I might be biased towards the latter.  By the way, the mouse doesn't work; to my shame, I only recognize Pericles on bottom right corner. Would you please post the names of these apparently famous men? 

Edited by konstantinius - 04-Oct-2006 at 23:47
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:18
others, baghdad.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:25
Ancient City Centre (Acropolis):

Ancient Complete City (Acropolis was small compared to the entire city):

A preservation nightmare:

Edited by Hellios - 15-Dec-2006 at 22:08
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:26

The ancient indian citys and chinese as well as Athens. Equal  in philosphys and Sciences

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:27

I don't know which one is the most important, but my guesses are:

Athens (the origin of phylosophy and modern science)
Alexandria (The most sophisticated city of classical times)
Rome (What would one say about it? Superb! A city 1500 years ahead of its time, and the real origin of Western Civilization)
Cordoba (Al-Andalus capital, and starter of the European wake up)
Venice (Outstanding Middle Age's superpower)
Florence (Renacense)
London (Moden times superpower capital and the center of the industrial and scientific revolutions)
Tenochtitlan (The Aztec city; the most outstanding city in the New World)

(I don't include any city of the U.S. because in there not all the functions are in a single city but widespread across that country. If I have to chose from one in the U.S. I will say Philadelphia's of Franklin times.)

Of all of them I believe the top one is Alexandria.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 05-Oct-2006 at 00:30
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:32
Originally posted by sirius99

others, baghdad.

Yes, I'll add Ctesiphon now, thx.

Edit: I can't add any more voting options - seems there's a limit.

Edited by Hellios - 08-Oct-2006 at 04:13
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:41
Originally posted by konstantinius

Hard to judge. All the above-mentioned cities have made contributions. I would consider London and NYC  to be late-comers in the club; they have mostly contibuted in 20th century cinvilization as centers of culture and the arts. As a born Athenian, I might be biased towards the latter.  By the way, the mouse doesn't work; to my shame, I only recognize Pericles on bottom right corner. Would you please post the names of these apparently famous men? 

In case scrolling over the faces doesn't give u the names try doing it on this page: http://www.sikyon.com/athens/MenOfAthens/athenians_eg.html

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:46
How can there be a list without Jerusalam.
Babylon was a country not a city.
Indian Pataliputra needs to be their.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:50
Originally posted by BigL

The ancient indian citys and chinese as well as Athens. Equal  in philosphys and Sciences

Hey BigL.  I included the major Chinese city, and I thought of Mumbai but there's a limit on voting options.

Edited by Hellios - 05-Oct-2006 at 07:48
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 01:34
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Hi Vivek Sharma Smile

1. Because Jerusalem's contribution was mainly religious.

2. Babylon not a city?  Then what was this city called?
Perhaps you meant the Babylon Empire or Babylonia as the "country"?

3. Why does Pataliputra need to be there?

Edited by Hellios - 05-Oct-2006 at 03:53
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 03:26
@ Hellios
I'm afraid you are wrong when you say Jerusalem influence was ONLY religious. The influence of religion upon politics and thought in general is and was tremendous. That said I don't think Jerusalem diserves to be called the most important city of all times as ultimately its symbolic value is huge but the real value tends to be a bit less clear.

Actually I do not really know what city to pick. (partly because I know nothing of the History of the lands on the East of the Indus.)

Yet here would be my potential top ten:
10 Ur, the first one.
09 Los Angeles (or maybe Las Vegas) city of the future or the last city.
08 Cairo (more than Bagdad) long term center of Islam, born three times.
07 Paris the first ber-centralized capital of a Nation-State (well Madrid and Lisbon may be first but are not as successful on the long term).
06 Athen, well it is self evident
05 Venice, the first real entrepot and the city that is a piece of art
04 London, center of the political, economical and scientific world for more than 200 years (and what years!)
03 NYC center of a decentralized world, the richest in history
02 Jerusalem
01 Sorry to be Euro-centrist but defently Rome THE urbs the one and only city.
I am a free donkey!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 05:38
Originally posted by Maharbbal

@ Hellios
I'm afraid you are wrong when you say Jerusalem influence was ONLY religious. The influence of religion upon politics and thought in general is and was tremendous. That said I don't think Jerusalem diserves to be called the most important city of all times as ultimately its symbolic value is huge but the real value tends to be a bit less clear.

Actually I do not really know what city to pick. (partly because I know nothing of the History of the lands on the East of the Indus.)

Yet here would be my potential top ten:
10 Ur, the first one.
09 Los Angeles (or maybe Las Vegas) city of the future or the last city.
08 Cairo (more than Bagdad) long term center of Islam, born three times.
07 Paris the first ber-centralized capital of a Nation-State (well Madrid and Lisbon may be first but are not as successful on the long term).
06 Athen, well it is self evident
05 Venice, the first real entrepot and the city that is a piece of art
04 London, center of the political, economical and scientific world for more than 200 years (and what years!)
03 NYC center of a decentralized world, the richest in history
02 Jerusalem
01 Sorry to be Euro-centrist but defently Rome THE urbs the one and only city.

Hi Maharbbal.

I said Jerusalem's contribution was mainly religious, and for certain religions only.  I agree with you that Jerusalem might be 1 of the most significant cities for Islam/Judaism/Christianity, and also agree that these 3 religions have influenced politics & thought like you said, but I'm not so sure about religion & politics being such a great mix.

Edited by Hellios - 08-Oct-2006 at 06:27
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 06:35
Athens
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 06:41
Weren't the post Christ events related to jerusalam. Wht would have been the course of Hisotry if Jerusalam didn't exist, No Christ, & the chain reaction further. Pelestine, jews ... would they have been the same ?

You asked why does Pataliputra need to be their ? Well why do London, New York, Paris, Babylon need to be their ? It needs to be their for the same reason that Athens, Rome, Constantinople need to be their.

For a hint, Alexander's dream of coquering the world was shattered to pieces because his army afraid of the pataliputra army, refused to march into India to fight with the army of Pataliputra forcing him to go back.

PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:37

I would like to nominate Cambridge, some of the students of the university and their contributions :-

Isaac Newton, establishes the fundamental principles of modern Physics including laws of motion, the constituent parts of light and the universal law of gravitation.

Charles Babbage constructs early mechanical calculator (1812)

Charles Darwin, theory of evolution

James Clark Maxwell, electromagnetic radiation

JJ Thompson, discovers the electron and the foundation of electronics

Jawaharial Nehru, Prime Minister of India

Sir Fredric Gowland Hopkins, discovers vitamins

Maurice Wilkes, first digital computer to store a programme

John croft & Ernest Watson, split the atom for the first time, giving birth to nuclear physics

Frank whittle, patents the first jet engine, first jet powered plane flies 1941

Watson & Crick discover the structure of DNA

Sir Charles Oatley, First scanning electric microscope

Lotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 09:31

I would be tempted to swap Cambridge for London in your poll, far more scientific research came out of Oxford & Cambridge than London.

Londons main contribution is generating vast sums of money from share trading, good for the U.K. not really much benefit to mankind as a whole.

However a few contributions from London include -

Penicillin, discovered at St. Marys hospital ( Alexandra Flemming )

Electromagnetic induction, the electric motor and electricity generation ( Michael Faraday )

Edward Jenner Vaccines, the first was for smallpox

Edited to say the Chinese might have just beaten Edward to claim the first vaccinations  -  by 2000 years !

Edited by Lotus - 05-Oct-2006 at 09:38
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 09:49
Athens of course.
Philosophy, Politics, Buildings, Naval constructions, Strategies, Colonizations, Poetry, Architecture, Civil rights, law system
Does we need more?
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 10:53
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

I believe UR should be considered first, and also Jerico.

Athens and Rome are really the core of Western Civilization, and Alexandria should be taken more seriously as the top one of the classical world.

For Jerusalem, yes, it was important from the historical and religious point of view, but in its times was nothing more that the capital of a small "third world" country. 

As for Indian cities, why not Harappa or Mohenho Dahro? Sorry, but I have no clue about Pataliputra (A Gupta city perhaps?). The fact is the later is not very famous in the West at all.

Pinguin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>