Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A world without guns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A world without guns
    Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 22:37
Lets say gunpowder was never discovered but major events like WWII still happened. Would modern armies relay solely on crossbows? Would you find a Tiger tank shooting large ballistas? etc. What would other major battles and the such be like?
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 03:48
If you assume that the world still discovered combustion (hence your tiger tank) the idea of explosives would not be alien to mankind, just gunpowder explosives. I thus believe that there would still have been rifles, cannons etc. making use of other explosive-types. I therefore believe it wouldn't have looked to differentTongue
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 05:38
Islamic empires would have dominated the world by now. The Ottoman empire would still be alive. Although the Mamluks may have defeated the Ottoman's since the main reason that they lost to the Ottomans was due to guns. Thus the Caliphate would still be with the Mamluks.

Central Asian Empires would still be dominant, thus end of Russia.
I trully think that Europe would not have a chance at all, even the new world would not be taken since empires such as the Aztecs could easly defeat the Spanish without fire arms.

Europe's only chance, Australia. The aboriginies had no chance Disapprove
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 06:20
Another tribe of mongols would take over the entire world as did their predecessors. The ottoman empire would disappear due to its inner fighting.
Most countries would be independent.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 11:12
I trully think that Europe would not have a chance at all, even the new world would not be taken since empires such as the Aztecs could easly defeat the Spanish without fire arms.

Quite untrue, although guns did have a certain "terror" tactic in the New World. Mexico's conquest was done for the most part without guns (I believe they only had twenty total.) Most of the fighting was done by natives who used their traditional weapons. Also the true Iberian domination of the American continent was made not with unreliable muskets but with horses and swords made of supieror spanish steel.

Also even if guns were not invented the europeans still had knowledge of catapults and crossbows which the natives didn't have, and also don't forget that disease would still have decimated the new world.

Therefore I doubt that with the richness of the america's europe would have fallen behind the muslim nations who at that time hadn't found many new markets.

Also remember the discover of gun powder would not have effected history until the mid 18th century because up till then guns were very expensive and unreliable, I think I remember during the thirty years war most of the soldiers used polearms rather than guns.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 04:47
Some good points Janus, do you however think that the Spanish influence and rule would have been as great. Like would the Spanish be kickied out earlier leaving room for the native culture (language, religion etc) to survive instead of how modern day Mexico is today?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 21:54
Some good points Janus, do you however think that the Spanish influence and rule would have been as great. Like would the Spanish be kickied out earlier leaving room for the native culture (language, religion etc) to survive instead of how modern day Mexico is today?

Actually I feel the New World would've become a spanish monopoly. Without guns the English and French would never have been able to hold onto their colonial possessions which would've left room for an established american spanish empire. Who would've had better supplies and coordination. I don't know how much native culture would've survived seeing as how the vastness of the spanish empire meant that they couldn't have so many military engagements, rather like in our timeline many cultures would have submitted peacefully or after a localized rebellion was put down. Unlike the english and french colonists the spanish culture was spread not by warfare but by missionaries.

If there were no guns, which i find difficult to believe given the advances fo the past 500 years, then europe would probably not be as dominant in say Asia, but I think Spain (or at least spanish culture) would dominate the globe now.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply