Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

**Medieval total war 2**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **Medieval total war 2**
    Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 16:09
How so?  It depends on the unit that is depicted, in my opinion.  The rider looks accurate because he has on the klibanion and a Norman-like helmet.  If he is a kataphraktos, the horse armor would largely be full-body lamellar, with perhaps a plate head covering.  The Byzantines did make some plate.  If he is a Pronoiar cavalryman, however, his armament is a bit more open to debate for lack of source descriptions.

I don't know. It would seem to me that most Byzantine cavalrymen would lack full horse armor by the period in MTW2. But again, I'm not an expert on this topic. Smile

Yes I have read that too. I fail to see how can historical accuracy be uninteresting for the gamers.
Appears that CA is targeting for 12-14 age gamer group who like arcade games and cliking fest.
This is wierd.

I guess it's pretty cool to have units in full armor. Smile

I think it's understandable why these games cannot be accurate - because they aren't made for a historian audience. For example, in RTW, if they had been accurate and not made Egypt a chariot-based army, many casual gamers would be confused as to why they don't have chariots.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 00:02
Originally posted by axeman

Here you can see the unit roster for the Byzantines.
In my opinon the roster isn't very accurate (who the hell are Trebizond archers)

Oh cool, thanks for pointing to this!  I share your frustration with the "Trebizond Archers." Some of discussed this problem in the other thread on MTW2.  While the Caucasus and the mountains surrounding Trebizond were known for producing stout archers, there was no officially-named unit for them in the Byzantine army. 

Though some units seems to be interesting ones like "Byzantine Guard archers" --> can someone clarify if this missile infantry type ever existed ??

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of vaguely named units for the Byzantines.  They were correct about the tzakones being local militia, but they augmented campaign armies and sometimes garrisoned kastra (forts).

But there was a specific word designating crossbowmen of the Byzantines: the tzangatores.  These were the troops who usually garrisoned castles and kastra.  I wish they had named these instead of the vague archer units! Cry

Some other problems I noticed from the list:

Pronoia soldiers listed under "Byzantine Infantry."  The Pronoiars were almost exclusively cavalrymen, with perhaps a page or groom.  The pic of the infantry looks good; they are wearing klibania.

The "Byzantine Lancers" look more like what I envisioned for the Pronoia Cavalry.  Where did they get the vague term "Lancers?"

The kataphraktoi riders should be wearing both the klibanion and a chain mail suit underneath, including chain facemask and coif, if they are to be considered the heaviest-armored unit of the Byzantines.  There are depictions of such riders in various manuscripts, such as the Alexander Romance of the 14th century.

The "Spear/Pike Infantry" should be called the skutatoi - this was the Byzantine heavy infantry unit.

I was happy to see that the Byzantines are given primitive bombard cannons in the late period.  They did have some of these, although they were imported from the Balkans and Western Europe.  However, it does not look like they will be given any infantry gunners.  I think allowing them to train some hand-cannoneers (not arquebusiers) would be appropriate.

tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 19:36
"Yes I have read that too. I fail to see how can historical accuracy be uninteresting for the gamers.
Appears that CA is targeting for 12-14 age gamer group who like arcade games and cliking fest.
This is wierd."

Involves a a great veriety of tactics not a game to test speed and clicking. Try playing total war online.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 18:19
Im going to get the game, but I dont think my true experience with it will begin until the moder's get their hands on it. RTR made the regular campaign pale in comparison..
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 23:51

The name of a unit shouldnt stop anyone from purchasing the game and enjoying the play.

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 00:53
go IGN check the Holy Roman Empire and Turks.both are breathtaking.

(turks have elephants lol)
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 05:13
İn MTW 1 Turks were arabizized by amkers,is in this game also?

And what about Timur Empire,did they made them like Turkic?

I haven't played the demo,ı will play when my computer magazine came =(
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 06:45
Originally posted by Turk Nomad

No, they made Timurids look like gypsies.
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 10:30

I'm very angry those Total War maker's!They didn't get across the players that timurids are Turkic huh?!!!Angry

Could you tell me about Turkish faction and mamelukes,what are they look like?

Many thanks,full game will come Turkey in 15th day of this month.
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 11:09
I just learned Timurids are unplayable.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 18:13

No, they made Timurids look like gypsies.

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 19:04
no they are playable and they are Turkic in the game
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 19:18
sorry Timurids are only playable in MP not in singleplayer.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 19:37

I'm very angry those Total War maker's!They didn'tget acrossthe players thattimurids are Turkic huh?!!!

Err, can you define 'Turkic' please?

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 00:36
it means has Turkish characteristic.
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 05:50

I mean it was a Turk Empire.

I want to play with them...Can mod makers do this?
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 09:03
a guy in this forum is conducting a mod about this.his name was Nestorian i guess.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 10:24
This is a quality game! Does anyone else find that it cuts off every so often (during a battle usually) and doesn't let you back in?

PS- know where I can download a patch?
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 10:51
wait for the Kingdoms expansion pack or check out the total war official site.

so what about the Kingdoms pack? I liked it.we got the Irish,we got the crusade campains.I dont know much about the expansion though.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 13:28
Just bought M2:Kingdoms a few days ago. I am currently playing the Americas Campaign. I am playing as New Spain, and currently fighting the French. 
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>