Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carthaginian or Phoenician settlements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carthaginian or Phoenician settlements
    Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 16:46
Are there any evidences of, or reasons to believe that the Phoenicians or Carthaginians tried to establish settlements in the Southern Africa? We know that the Carthaginians went as far south as Nigeria, but did they venture further? And what about the Phoenicians? There is reason to assume that their legendary land of Punt was situated in Somalia, but what about Ophir, the other legendary country? Could it be somewhere along the southeastern coast of Africa?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 03:36
I think that Sharrukin has answered this in the Ancient Near East Geography topic.

Geography of Ancient Near East
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 08:48
Thank you, I'm quite new on this forum, so I don't know anything about previous discussions.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 10:30
I do understand that, I posted the link after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply