Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MMORPG project needs medieval experts!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rorax View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMORPG project needs medieval experts!
    Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 14:57
Hello.

I am new here, and it's my first post.

It's a bit strange , but I am looking for help with a project I'm working on, I thought that history/medieval forums like here I could find some people who'll be willing to help.

I am building a MMORPG(Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing game) which will be quite different from most MMORPGs today.

The concept of that MMORPG would be to create a game with the main focus of ROLEPLAYING, in most MMORPG the idea is usually to level and kill monsters, in my game the idea would be to realistically role play your character in a medieval community/society. The game would be based on the setting of Britain between the 10-12 centuries, and would contain very low elements of fantasy, if at all(fantasy would be limited to legends and folklore). I aim for something like 'Pillars of Earth' atmosphere and theme.

The features of the game would all be aimed to create a realistic environment and medieval economy that would hopefully be handled by the players. There would be no levels, only crafts like blacksmithing, hideworking, brewing, etc that would improve once your character practice them. This means in this game you'll see and meet all the people you likely would have if you lived in a medieval town, fighting would not be the main issue in this game, although we're building a complex fighting system.

Again, role playing and constantly staying 'In character' would be the two highlights of the game, death would be permanent.

What I need help with?

Well, I am creating most of the game graphics, I'm responsible for the code/engine and maintaining the website. What I need is people that would help me to gather information on Britain of that age and would arrange that in easy to understand documents for players to use(I'll put those documents on the website), documents about society life, politics, nobles / serf relationships, social levels, timelines important figures, politics, church behavior and the like, basically anything that would help people to understand the world around them and how they should behave.

Those people would be called 'history/settings/RP admins' besides doing the dirty work of making the website documents, when the game would enter playing stages they would also serve as the final authority of what is likely to happen and how the world (Important NPCs) are likely to behave(since once we'll pick a exact timeline we'll advance ourselves from there), also they would be responsible for the 'in-tact' behavior of the players according to the settings, shortly they would be game admins.

The only requirements would be : Good knowledge of all history facts and aspects during the chosen time, seriousness , willingness to work hard and good writing skills.

Few things about the engine :

1. It's a 2d engine, we aim for features and RP not blowing graphics
2. The game would ALWAYS be free to play, I personally cover all costs(like server costs and the like)

If you wish to help please respond here or mail me to admin@medievalonline.net

You can also leave me a message on my site forums at :

www.medievalonline.net\forums

We're just beginning!

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply