Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terry Pratchett is God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terry Pratchett is God
    Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 10:00

Well, he is isnt it?

Actually I stole that quote, it was Zagros who said it first in the 'speed of dark' thread.
But as we are all here anyway, let us unite and worship.

My favorite character has to be Granny Weatherwax. She rocks. I wanna be just like her when I grow up. Big smile But my favorite book is The Fifth Elephant. I dont know why, something to do with the atmosphere in the book. I even read it in German when I was living there... (which was strange and funny in an odd way).

So what is yours?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 19:05
mmm, I'm not sure thats a good thing. I mean the possiblity of whithing away into nothingness in the desert is too high if you wish to be a god, personally I'd much prefer to be a Yeti. If you can come back from extinction three times I think you've got life covered.

A favourite character I can't decide on. They are all good characters, no I lie, they are all excellent characters and trying to pick on above the other is too hard for me.

What was it like in German? I've heard the books are best in English and Czech, where you can make lots of puns easily.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 15:44
My brother just gave some dozen Pratchett books for two Hunter Thompson ones. He said he got weary of Pratchett.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 20:04
My favourite character is Vimes, followed by the luggage.

I've got four of the books in Dutch, but its slower reading than in English for me, so i'll read them when i have more free time.
Arrrgh!!"
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 02:46
My favorite characters are Vimes, Granny Weatherwax and the Patrician. Granny also makes an appearance in the Wee Free Men (which I loved) and a longer appearance in the A Hat Full of Sky (which I also loved.) Amongst the books, Night Watch has a special place in my heart.

I am a firm believer that Pterry is, indeed, God. 
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:57
The "Science of Discworld" books are interesting two, merging commentry with a story line. Reading the third one, will have to go out and buy the other two.
Oh, and the first two Discworld games are available at the Underdogs.
Arrrgh!!"
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 14:03
I read the first two Science books, I was thinking of ordering the third one one of these days. Thanks for the Underdogs tip, by the way. Thumbs Up I played the first game a bit -in German (rather my cousin played it and I watched, I don't know any German) and I loved the second one (Discworld Noir)

Have you checked out the Wee Free Men? It's listed as "young adult" but I think it's just regular Pterry humour.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 14:11
Actualy, i think Noir is the third one.

Pratchett has written some childrens books as well, and one of them (Johnny and the bomb) was made into a mini-series recently.
I've got a book about cats (funny, not serious) by him in Dutch too, so he is quite prolithic.
I'll have to look out for Wee Free Men, library stuff untill i've seen it, the discworld series is deffinite buying material.
Arrrgh!!"
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 14:17
Do check it out. I'm sure you could find it in the library. In that series, following the Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith were also published. Actually Wintersmith was published only last week. I had pre-ordered it and it's supposed to arrive in a few days.

I know about the cat book (the Unadultered Cat) but I haven't read it. And whoa, I didn't know there were three Discworld games!

Also, since you're in the UK, you could also check out the theatre plays of the books -if you're interested. I'm not sure how good a theatre play would be after reading the books. I get the Discworld Monthly Newsletter and there's always one going on at any given time.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 14:26
Damn, you are a fan(atic). I'd heard of plays, but didn't think there'd always be one on.
This newsletter, is the 'wizards knob' or something like that?

I wanna see one of those plays now. I hope the rumoured TV adaptations come to fruit.

Arrrgh!!"
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 14:42
No, it's just called "Discworld Monthly." Here's the link to the website: http:///www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/ You can subscribe there, or just check it out online.

I am also a member of the Guild of Fans and Disciples and have a member card and a pin to prove it. Big smile (I know. Don't say anything.)
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 21:53
I didn't really like the parts of the science of discworld that weren't written by pratchet. They are interesting after a fashion but I get terribly annoyed with the boxed vision of the author. Especially when it compares to pratchets wisdom.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 04:29
Yes! I have converted another to the faith! I gave a friend of mine 'witches abroad' for her birthday months ago, but she didn't have time to read it until nw. Of course, once she started, she could not stop until it was finished...
She's totally hooked, she went out to buy more Pratchett the day she finished it... LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:07
You know, it's strange but I've never met a single person who didn't like Pratchett's books, except myself that is. After countless encouragements I decided to pick up "Colour of Magic", which was suggested to me as a starting point, yet halfway through the book I was not only bored but plain irritated with Pratchett's sense of humour which I didn't find very appealing at all. Who knows, maybe my expectations were far too high.

Okay, now judging from experience this is where you all tell me it will get better in later books and that I shouldn't give up on Pratchett.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:22
Well, I must say Colour of Magic is not the best starting point as it is way over the top and very corny at times, I always suggest Mort.  

But don't worry, I've met others who do not like Pratchett's kind of humor... If everybody would like the same, it would be a boring old world indeed... Wink

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 09:52
I started with wyrd sisters.
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 17:35
I think Wyrd Sisters is a good starting point, at least for the "Witches" books. Pyramids is a standalone novel, and has great humour, so it's another good introduction book. Guards! Guards! for the Watch novels, and general Ankh Morpork craziness. I think the Watch books have a lot of substance and so many great characters to elaborate on, Pterry will be expanding on them quite a bit. Oh, and, Small Gods is another favourite of mine and another good book to just start reading. It's not really connected to any other thing, although Omnians are constantly referred to in later books. 
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 18:22
Just started Thud!
This book smells different from the other ones Ermm
Arrrgh!!"
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:50
You only just got it? Aaah, the pleasure of having a new pratchett... To bad they dont last... I finished thud in a night and a day....

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 06:35
This book smells different from the other ones Ermm

Yeah. Thud was different from the others somehow. I should re-read it to find out exactly how
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>