Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europe vs rest of world in the Middle Ages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe vs rest of world in the Middle Ages
    Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 22:11
Hum hum hum

konstantinius though your picture of Middle Age both in China and W Europe is great your explaination for the development of Europe is (no offence) a big joke.

1) If your point was correct why the Mongolia isn't nowadays the most powerful country in the world. When it comes to rapping, stealing and killing for no reason they have a pretty good record. In the same way, if the Polish are now emigrating in England and not the contrary is it because they are more polite than the Britishers?

2) If you can explain me the relationship between the Industrial Revolution (arguably the event ending the Middle Ages) and the cow-boy behaviour I'll be delighted. The same way as it is the trading technic of the Italian merchants not their aggressiveness that was the key of their success against their Muslim concurrents.

3) I do see the darwinian side of your statement but are you sure that what works at the gene level is relevant for a whole society.

Finally the wild dog effect can be useful to understand one event at one precise moment (and maybe the Europeans were more prones to this kind of behaviour). The point is that no group has the monopoly over a broad human psychological feature for a long period of time.

What you're saying is that individualism is the base of European minds but as Saint Just said: "it is a new idea". You're being theleologic which is the worst thing that can happen to someone who pretends to care about history.

My view
I am a free donkey!
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 16:51
I totally agree about the great civilization that was Europe between not 1200, but from XI centuries to XV centuries, more advanced while we advanced in time.

There are three main problems between the non westerness and the fans of the Renaissance:

1. Lack of information: curiously the great majority of this guys never was interested about the medieval Europe, and when they read about it never took the new dates. Here we have too a problem of historiography, the more known in the world is the anglosaxon centered around a few books very oldfashioned (of course the production of new books about ME is huge, but curiously the "empire" of the "classics" is strong between our anglo friends). Contrary, a quick view to the french historiography for example, Robert Fossier and George Duby, can clear many things.

2. The second main problem is the lack of a temporal view. This problem is of course in relation with the previous point, but have his own nature. Not only the non european but, too persons like our friend Maharbbal have this problme, for example, do you know that after the arab hegemony in the Mediterranean the christians specially the italians (then, too catalans) had an absolute Thalassocracy over this sea between 1100-1500? Our antimedievaleurope friends see the trully dark ages after 500 in western Europe and say, "well, that is the dark age" and in that moment they can't see, or don't want see, that the european civilization expanded hugely after the XI century.

3. The portion over the All: this is an spanish expresion that i don't know if it's well translated. See, if we have to the nobility of feudal Europe raping and killing, totally Europe is a barbarian continent, if China is superior in a lot of fields that must be that Europe is not a civilization, equal in the comparation between islamic world and christian world or with the Renaissance. All or nothing, black or white, anything in the middle so the medieval Europe always lost.

I'm totally sure about who was the centre of the human civilization in this time, China as say Dream208 and like can be showed with the reading of the achievements of the Song dinasty. But this can't deny the huge level of the european civilization that hadn't any to envy to other civilizations like islamic or indian (and China in many fields). At the year 1300, a continent with 75 millions persons, a dense net of cities, a great and brilliant economy and an expansive culture can be put at the last place in the world; at least equal with the majority can be a good step to an historical justice.

Edited by Ikki - 14-Sep-2006 at 16:57
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by konstantinius

A) Central goverment

AFAIK, the real solid and effective centralist states began with Richelieu.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 17:46
let's just say they swung from trees and painted their genitals blue
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 19:26
Maharbbal,on your three points:

1)????-you've lost me

2) Whaat? The industrial revolution is at the end of the M. Ages? You mean the Renaissance, perhaps? And you're calling MY stuff a "big joke"?Wink

3) theological? my view is anthropological/cultural more than anything

Edited by konstantinius - 14-Sep-2006 at 19:34
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 02:02
" I have seen members asserting that Han China was more advanced than Rome for example, the general opinion seems to indicate that the Roman Empire was at least on par, if not more advanced than the rest of the world"

I have trid to read as much non-Western contributions in science and technology as possible. However, there are not many academic books that devoted fully on the issue of regarding of Han Dynasty and Rome. Nevertheless, some coverages (such as the famous coverage on Han Dynasty "Empire that Rival Rome" in 2004 National Geographic issue) and short comparisons do suggest that Han China is superior to Roman Empire in SOME areas. My Harvard professor Dr Christopher Mackay (a pretty well-know Roman author) taught us that Romans did not know what inflation was and they were lack of way of managing economy (Roman emperiors often simply issued new currency to ease the inflation which was not a smart way to do). The government of Han China, in comparison, controlled the salt and iron and thus had stable income from these two mega state-controlled industries. 
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 02:52
The industrial revolution is at the end of the M. Ages? You mean the Renaissance, perhaps?
There is one "industrial revolution" even within the Middle Ages.
The Renaissance also starts within the Middle Ages. In the most popular taxonomies, the Middle Ages is followed by Modern Age (Early Modern).

theological
He wrote "theleologic" but he ment "teleologic". That is to explain/justify something through its purpose, consequences, results.

Edited by Chilbudios - 15-Sep-2006 at 03:07
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 05:21

Hi everyone,

Time for me to add my two centsWink Alot has been said already. In my view there is two problems with the way people view the history of Western civilisation.

1) Victorian scholers: At the end of the 19th century there was a new thought process that was all the rage amongst researchers. Darwinism. Academics loved the idea that everything was a continual development to the more sophisticated. Thus Victorian scholers quite naturally saw themselves and their societies as being at the cutting edge of this evolutionary process and therefore everything in the past to be inferior. (This was also an excuse to "educate" the "less" advanced societies in the colonies, but I degress). They viewed their European past in this light as a gradual advance of societies and skills.

The sudden lack of written sources after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire was therefore viewed as an evolutionary setback, from which a gradual development was necessitated again. Through this thought process, medieval societies became brutish, uneducated thugs whose main goal in life was to rape and pillage. (Don't even get me started on victorians like Egerton Castle).

Luckily these myths are displaced and proven untrue by research over the past few decades. Unfortunately this new research isn't reaching the broader public, and this brings me to point no 2

2) Hollywood. Hollywood loves a tested formula. For screenwriters, directors, producers etc. the myths of the past proved successful in movies of the old, so really aren't interested in historical accuracy. Unfortunately the man on the street bases his knowledge of history (and other matters as well) on movies they've seen and thus still believe a European knight to be uneducated, dressed in heavy armoury that requirtes mechanical means to lift him on his horse while wielding a heavy sword that is no better than a clubDisapprove

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Was Europe more or less advanced than China at the time? I don't know, and truth be told, don't care. Its really irrelevant as it shouldn't change our perception of either culture. What is important though, is that we should accept the truth that European civilisation during the "Dark ages" weren't as backwater as popular culture would want to make us believe, and that we should educate those who are under that impression.

Thanks and apologies if that was a bit long-winded
Eon

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 18:01
Obviously I haven't been clear enought so:

1) What I meant in my first point was: no feature however important it is can explain the development of a society. Hence saing European became dominant because they were more opportunistic is a non-sense to me. For instance who could argue the Italian merchants in the Mediterranean were more opportunistic than the Arab traders in the Indian Ocean? So the type of argument stating "the European became powerful because they were ..." is clueless.

2) My second point was the 1st Industrial Revolution (i. e. 1750-1850) is the REAL ending of the Middle Ages as the 15th-16th c. were different quantitatively but not really qualitatively from the Medieval times. And the IR has nothing to do with the I-steal-from-my-neighbour-whatever-he-is-not-strong-enough-to-protect kind of behaviour.

3) I was saying that you read history with the eyes of a 21st c. individualist forgetting that the very idea of individual is very recent.

@ Ikki I do not understand why your are writting I failed to remember the Muslim hegemony stopped around 950 in the Mediterranean while it is precisely the subject of my first post. Also I did forget Barcelona in my list. Yhen I'm not quite sure of your expression "the centre of the human civilization" firstly because the very word of civilization is a lame duck and then how could there have been a center 500 years before the first globalization. 
I am a free donkey!
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 00:08

In pre Industrial revolution times i think population is a good sign of power,not Military power but Economic.Romes population was 50-60 million people but after in the dark ages europe had 20 million.Middle east had more people like 30milion at this time.When europe comes out of the dark age Its population increased alot.

Of course now machines do alot of the work so population doesnt mean a strong economy.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 04:42

Originally posted by Dream208

Decebal

Last post before I sleep (nearly 3 am here...). From what I've been taught in school, they measure GDP or income in the past by purchase power. Usually something like how much rice could an average farmer's wage purchase, and what is the total tax compare to total production.

But I could be wrong... as I mentioned above, I recite everything from my head -_______-lll

Hmmm... How much rice could someone in England buy in the middle ages - no matter how rich?
How about comparing how much wool they could buy? Or the price of herrings?

And for that matter when did farmers start getting wages? Or cash income of any kind?

This kind of economic comparison between such different societies is totally meaningless. It's like saying economic conditions in 2006 were better than in 1906 because you can buy colour television sets and personal computers so much more easily. Despite the fact that it's much more expensive to buy beef or hire a kitchenmaid.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 04:45
Originally posted by Maharbbal

1) If your point was correct why the Mongolia isn't nowadays the most powerful country in the world. When it comes to rapping, stealing and killing for no reason they have a pretty good record.
They have great rappers in Mongolia? Cool

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 04:52

Originally posted by Maharbbal

2) My second point was the 1st Industrial Revolution (i. e. 1750-1850) is the REAL ending of the Middle Ages as the 15th-16th c. were different quantitatively but not really qualitatively from the Medieval times.
Depends on your point of view.

If your concern is technology you are right. If it's economics more generally it has something to do with the beginnings of the joint stock corporations. If it's political institutions, then the middle ages end with the emergence of the nation state. If it's religion then they end with the reformation. If it's art, they end with the emergence of the landscape and the still life as important subjects in their own right. If it's music it is to do with the dominance of harmony over polyphony.

And so on. All these things happened at different times.

Edited by gcle2003 - 16-Sep-2006 at 04:52
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 04:56

Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by konstantinius

A) Central goverment

AFAIK, the real solid and effective centralist states began with Richelieu.

In England with Henry VII. That's not a claim England was first, just ahead of France. France's religious wars in the 16th century are the effective equivalent, in this regard, to England's Wars of the Roses.

Edited by gcle2003 - 16-Sep-2006 at 04:57
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 14:08
One thing about Europe versus the rest of the world.

A lot depends on what you consider to be hall marks of an advanced civilization.

Is it economic, geographic, philosophy, individual freedoms, communal responsibilities.

A hypothetical case.
An agrarian society where the individual rights are respected but the individual responsibilities are are accepted.  Maybe the technological level would not be so great but in this society the people matter more.  Literature, science (and this is not an oxymoron), philosophy etc are pursued.  It is not  Utopia.  People still have problems, human beings somehow seem to always have problems no matter what the society/country etc they belong to.  I would consider this an advanced civilization.  The brain and heart are both engaged.
Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 14:43
A man starving to death couldn't care less on science,literature and philosophy,having a "few" problems in life is different from not having to eat.

Edited by Jeru - 16-Sep-2006 at 14:46
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 20:42
    What I'm trying to say is that the west developed a technological edge and effective militaries  (without saying that ALL  effective militaries are European) as a result of an openess in society that could be associated with democracy at first and, ultimately, capitalism and its free economic competition.
    These create no societal or govermental restrictions in the direction of research. Moreover, research is encouraged and funded because it produces things for sale. Sale and the making of money is approached differently by Islam according to which, theoretically, profit is not to seeked by the faithfull.   
    I recently finished reading Glenny Misha's "The Balkans,1878-1990"; a good part of the book is devoted to the Balkans under the  Ottomans and, by extension, to the Ottoman Empire itself.  Economically,  the Ottoman Empire much behind W. Europe.  The Sultan was the supreme authority and could at any given time confiscate anyone's fortune. So, all the officials of the Ottoman  established kept their fortunes in cash, bullion, rather, so they could move it at a short notice. There was no investment of capital partly because as soon as someone accumulated enough, well, it'd be seized by the person above him in the hierarchy and ultimately by the Sultan himself. There were no banks, no real estate, no stock market
    Perhaps it all started with democracy, another distinctly western institution. It created the cultural environment where men could pursuit different ends uninhibited by theocracies or repressive political regimes that strangle indivindual freedom and wellbeing. Next we have competition, accumulation of money, reinvestmen. From here we have intentions and technological research and and abstract desire for more knowledge.
    And I do believe that the Italian merchants of Maharbbal's example would indeed fare better than their Arab equivalents and I'd bet my money on the fact that they were more likely to go on and built a maritime commercial empire before their Arab  friends even changed the style of their kaikqs; as a matter of fact the row-boats that stroll up and down the Nile today are not much different than their counterparst of Pharaonic Egypt.
    I am not asserting that capitalism is panacea or that modern democracies are  infallible. I live in a big US city and I experience the madness every day. Democracies sometimes must tighten the reigns;money should never overcome the common good. Bt that's part of another thread.

I also absolutely disagree with the claim that the M Ages end at 1750. The 16th century is very different from the M Ages with its huge religious wars and the definition of the nation-state that emerged through this process. The countries involved in the 30 Years' War,i.e., are very different states than their predeccesors of, say, the 1300's. But this is also the subject of another thread and I'm not going to insist on it.
I became influenced in these oppinions after I read Victor Davis Hansson's "Carnage and Culture" and "The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Classical Greece." I recommend them unreservadly.

Edited by konstantinius - 16-Sep-2006 at 21:01
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 06:41

Let's go back in 12th century, in southern France on Garonne, and look at the water mills co-owners. They are the first share-holders in Europe (perhaps in the world, don't know). Their shares are bought and sold on the market, there is competition, industrial sabotage, taking over etc. (look for Societe du Bazacle). How is democracy triggering all these?

Democracy is not the absence of a repressive political regime, nor an openess in society, it is a particular form of government.

If it's music it is to do with the dominance of harmony over polyphony.
This is a true gem LOL Polyphony is harmony. From this point of view (voices, distinct melodical lines) - the most complex one.

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Sep-2006 at 06:42
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 06:50
Wow, where to begin. I'm usually used to comparing the intellectual/philosophical social atmosphere of 6th to 3rd centuries BC Classic Greece with that of 6th to 3rd centuries BC One Hundred Schools of Thought during the Chinese Eastern Zhou Dynasty and Warring States Period. Either that or the high level of achievements in antiquity comparing the Han Empire to that of the Roman Empire, but this is different and new, so what the hell! Lol.

I always thought it made much greater sense to compare megalith Medieval powers like Tang and Song China with other megalith states in their roughly equal time-frame, like the Ummayad and Abbasid Caliphates, or the Gupta, Chalukya, or Chola Empires of Medieval India, but what the heck, let's compare China with Europe for a bit. Are you guys excluding the Eastern Roman Empire of Byzantium here (which really held it's zenith of power at different points in time, like the reign of Emperors Justinian or Basil II)? If so, then I'd have to say one European region that you could begin to compare with in Western Europe to China was that of Medieval France, which compared with the city-states of Medieval Italy, was the rivaling center in regards to most of Western Europe's population during the Middle Ages. The Frankish Empire of the Carolingian Dynasty without a doubt had its merits (look at achievements such as the building of the Aachen Cathedral or the military conquests of Charlemagne), but in many respects, let's not get ahead of ourselves and disenfranchise the Chinaman here (lol). You could easily say in terms of building projects the completion of the Grand Canal during the short-lived Sui Dynasty before the Tang, still today the longest man-made canal in the world, and it goes without saying one of the largest employments of manual labor in history. In terms of conquest you could point to such examples as the Sui invading Korea with a massive naval force (although it turned to be a complete failure), while the Tang pushed deep into Central Asia and kept hegemony over Indo-China and for the meantime Nan Yue (Vietnam).

In terms of the size of central administration in government, as well as central administrative cohesiveness, sophistication, and ability of the state to bolster and support commercial/economic prosperity and thus strength of the state itself, Tang and Song China clearly have the upper hand in most regards. Of course, it's all about comparing different time periods within China and France, as France became much more nationalized during the Hundred Years War with England and reached new heights during the later Valois Dynasty. However, take for example the administration and central cohesiveness of France under the first ruler of the Capetian Dynasty, Hugh Capet, who was crowned King of France in 987 AD after pretty much ruling anyway in everything but title while the previous Carolingian King Lothair was seated upon the throne. In his plot of private land, including towns and estates that exceeded no more than 400 square miles (roughly 640 kilometers squared), centered between Paris and Orleans, he pretty much lacked any real stranglehold of power beyond this point. In this age before the rise of powerful Absolutism over the various nobles, if he, the King, even dared venture beyond this plot of land, he risked being kidnapped and held for ransom, or simply murdered along the wayside by competitors to the throne or foreign enemies who would have desired to see him fall. Take for example the plot by the Bishop of Laon and Odo I of Blois in 993 to have Hugh Capet delivered right into the hands of Otto III, fourth ruler of the Ottonian Dynasty whose realms were near to the east. The most intriguing thing about the whole affair is that neither the Bishop or Odo were ever punished for this, displaying the measure of central power eminating from Paris and the hand of the King. Each fiefdom beyond his measure of control were nearly autonimous and pretty much did what they pleased, with many different codes of law, a dozen different languages spoken at the time, and 150 different forms of currency within the whole realm of what is considered modern-day France alone! New developments of towns and further urbanization were discouraged by local lords who maintained the affairs of their fiefs like a hawk would when circling over a dead carcass and calculating any other predators that might be around to challenge it. They could treat their peasants however they liked, and it wasn't until the late Middle Ages and Renaissance periods when peasants began to flee in droves to work as laboring craftsmen and the like in newly-established towns, depriving the local lords of their agrarian base, and then forced to pay these peasants actual salaries and wages for the first time to encourage them to stay away from migrating to new towns and growing cities, the very step away from feudalism. However, during the early and middle eras of the Medieval Period, commercialization was greatly hindered by the nobles themselves, which hindered growth of towns in the first place. Nobles could tax and tariff any goods they wanted that traveled through their lots, and god forbid you were a merchant who had to travel your caravan over a bridge or worse yet, attempting to smuggle goods that were proclaimed as illegal and unlawful in status in that specific lord's fief. Often lords would harass traveling merchants and force them to pay enormous sums of bribery in order to get shipments through, choking the very commercial networks of Europe with this slow, grievous trade process that was unheard of during times of the earlier, road-network-obsessed, highly-centralized, and highly standardized Roman Empire.

Now that I've painted a pretty picture of Medieval France (which besides Italy and to some extent their greatest rival of England was the hallmark of medieval Western European power and achievement during the Middle Ages), let's fly through time and space halfway around the globe of Medieval earth to land smack dab in the middle of Tang and Song China, the big bad mother ****ers of the East. In Tang as well as Song era China, central power within the Imperial Court centered at Chang'an, Kaifeng, and then Hangzhou was firmly established and remained as firm establishments of central order and governance. Beyond the large economic and political hubs of the capital cities listed, the entire empire was divied up into large administrative provinces as well as outlying commanderies in the conquered border regions of the extended empire. Although aristocratic families and military generals in the local regions held a great deal of sway over internal affairs (and added to corruption at certain points), the central, provincial, and local governments were all efficiently run by the state's highly-competitive Imperial Exam system, perfected during the Tang period to crank out new virtual hordes every 3 years of learned gentry-scholar officials (the shi). On an average given day of the week, a young Confucian student of the Tang and Song periods would cram nearly 200 new writing characters into their arsenal of learned writing in order to pass these local, regional, and central-state exams at their nearest testing facilities. This was aided greatly by the widespread use and production of block-printing of books by the Tang Dynasty, and somewhat enhanced by the later Song Dynasty invention of removeable type using metal sheets and heated clay characters to print written material. The Imperial Archives of the capital were no doubt enormous in volume and size, but then again, no major city was complete without an array of bookstores and a public library. It was the fashion of the day for the gentry-scholar bureaucrats to have within their nearly-Roman-villa-laid-out style of homes to include a large study room filled with various scrolls and books, along with a peaceful garden space in the central courtyard to relax while discussing poetry, painting, local politics, or familial matters from time to time. In Tang China, although Confucianism remains the hallmark of the Imperial Exams and largely the voice of the elite shi, old ideologies like Daoism see a surge in new popularity, mixed with the ever-steadily-growing influence of Indian-originated Buddhism on the Eastern world, seen through the many towering 10-to-15 story-tall pagodas of the Tang and Song periods dedicated to Buddhism, as well as serving for places to store records or to act as high points of light beacons for incoming ships at harbor and port. Although the Chinese had sailed "junk" ships into the Indian Ocean before, maritime trade during the Tang Dynasty boomed alongside the already well-established land-route of the Silk Road. The Chinese of the age of Tang as well as Song sailed far from home and called to ports in Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, Persia, Arabia, and East Africa. If the Tang were those who paved the way for large-scale maritime trade, the Song Dynasty reinforced this idea triple-fold, escorting large merchant fleets with a boasting array of naval vessels and crafts in great prestige to ensure Chinese interests abroad would be respected as well as feared. Hindu and Arab writers of the Medieval period comment on the great qualities of Chinese ship-building technology, as Abbasid Arabs and Chola Indians no doubt saw Chinese naval prowess as equals. In terms of commercial power, there was hardly a comparison to the enormous state-run monopolies on porcelain, silk, salt, iron-ore mining, and iron-foundries churning out thousands of tons of iron and steel per year in Tang and Song China. Add to this the free enterprises over commodities that the state did not hold monopolies over but that of which the mass market of medieval Chinese consumerism gobbled up on a daily basis. Simply staggering to the mind to concieve of this amount of production in a pre-Industrial-Revolution society.

In sum, European accomplishments in the fields of technology, state-building, and creation of a proto-modern-economic system during the Middle Ages were wide and many, but similar achievements in the East are to be noted, which the Chinese not only built upon, but largely perfected.

Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 17-Sep-2006 at 13:26
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 19:49
Chilbudios, democracy creates the political basis for openess in society. As I've mentioned before there'd be no point in the French water millers' exchange of stock if some higher authority moved in to confiscate or if there was no "market" to make any profit from. Not to say that 12th c. France was a democracy by any means. But even then the tradition of the freeman had been well established during Greco-Roman times and was present in the ancient Germanic law of the early Franks.
Democracy has a lot to do with the development of the indivindual and the pursuit of happiness which respects a man's desire to improve (perhaps we can say that democracy is the child of the propertied, middle classes of History) for himself and establishes the legal safeguards for his rights to be respected. And I believe that essentialy this is the quality that eventually allowed Europe to assume a technological and military edge which, of course, lead to the oppression and domination of large parts of the globe (colonialism).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>