Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of the tank ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of the tank ...
    Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 00:26

Finegold, the actual loss is closer to 50 from what I have heard, however this includes Tanks which were deemed not worthy of repair. 8~10 is the turret popping cases. 1/10 Cav for example lost one to three 155mm shells strapped one over the other.

As for tanks, I don't think Grozny is the best example for tank use, the Ruskies would have lost all those tanks even if they had m1 or Challengers.

Edited by Sparten - 21-Sep-2006 at 00:30
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 05:19
you can tell its IEDs half the road in one picture is blown up, and the blast damage looks quite big and messy. nothing aimed. good pictures
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 06:19
I showed that pictures because i wanted to prove that there arent invulnerable tanks.Even the heaviest tanks dont have a chance against anti tank weapons.If old russian AT weapons can destroy Abrams what about newer ones.I cant fell save in any machine.

Russia really lost many tanks in Grozny.I think that 10 T-90 were destroyed.But it is because of the communist style buildings.I live in bulgaria and our cities are just like russians.There are many apartament buildings which are placed very densely.It will be a real nightmare for the tanks when it is in the middle of the road surrounded by building from every side.Tanks can be attacked from the lower basement windows or from the roof where it can't take good aim.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:06
IEDS is not a missile, you can blow anything up with enough explosive.

....some of those devises did use alot of exploives materail ( i think one APC was tossed in the air or somthingErmm) and they were also using crude but effective shape charged blasts. no tank would be protected from that.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 10:02
ok found the story and got some pictures

here is what a big IED does to a 22 tonne AA7 (RIP 14 marines) near haditha around a year ago. This thing was flipped by the force of the blast looks impressive in that destructive kinda way. No doubt. that blast would of defeated a tank but this has nothing to do with russian technolgy, armour effectiveness or even conventianal warfare.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 10:26
Originally posted by Desimir

Russia really lost many tanks in Grozny.I think that 10 T-90 were destroyed.But it is because of the communist style buildings.I live in bulgaria and our cities are just like russians.There are many apartament buildings which are placed very densely.It will be a real nightmare for the tanks when it is in the middle of the road surrounded by building from every side.Tanks can be attacked from the lower basement windows or from the roof where it can't take good aim.

Except that tanks aren't designed for urban combat. Tanks are meant to fight in open fields. Any piece of equipment will fail if you put it in a situation it wasn't designed for. Also tanks aren't meant to fight alone. Infantry are usually supposed to support tanks on the flanks to protect against anti-tank weapons.

Edited by Adalwolf - 21-Sep-2006 at 10:28
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 11:10
Yes,but most of todays battles are in Urban Areas.Especially in Iraq.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 14:55
The modern russian AT missile Kornet proved very good in Israel Lebanon conflict. It was responsible for quite some tank kills.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 18:38
Nobody have yet answered my question Cry

What would a tank designed to fight in an urban environment would look like?

Maybe something like the very first tank the English Mk 1, not heavily armed nor very fast but plenty of guns and protection.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 01:16
Right here.

M1 A2 TUSK upgrade.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 06:02
Can you give a line of explanation? Looks very much the same to me.
I am a free donkey!
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 08:20
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Nobody have yet answered my questionWhat would a tank designed to fight in an urban environment would look like?Maybe something like the very first tank the English Mk 1, not heavily armed nor very fast but plenty of guns and protection.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 11:41

Google TUSK: Tank Urban Survival Kit
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 15:10
The Russians lost several tanks in Grozy because Chechens using Russian/Soviet RPGs were able to penetrate the thin top armour of the T-72s and T-80s, meaning that once they penetrated they had easy access to the ammunition casette around the turret ring.  Since this casette is around the turret ring, and no real effort was made to redesign the tank with some sort of blast escape to protect the crew [like the M1 Abrams] after the Soviets introduced semi-combustible cartridges into their army, they have a tendency of blowing up and throwing the turret around.  These are examples of T-72s during the First Persian Gulf War:

A lot of these from positions looking like this:

If you like tank pictures there are good ones on this website.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 12:19

basically you can fire the machine gun ( up top) from the inside, and more armour was added to the sides and back becase the abrams was very well protected only in the front (good for tank battles) but was weak aorund other angles.  there are other minor things but those are the main points

you have to be protected from all sides in urban convabat since no insurgent takes one on from the front.

"The TUSK includes additional protection at the loader's gun station on the turret, the commander's gun station, reactive armor to protect the tank's side from attack by rocket-propelled grenades and slat armor to protect the tank's rear from the same weapon, and the tank/infantry telephone to allow infantry and armor Soldiers to work together in combat.

Flanagan said all the proposed upgrades use "off the shelf" technology, and the goal is for the entire TUSK to be applied by units in the field, without requiring a return to a depot for modification.

"The reactive armor, for example, is a product similar to what's on the Bradley (Armored Fighting Vehicle)," Flanagan said. "It's explosive armor that protects the vehicle."

Another example would be the slat armor designed to protect the tank's rear from RPG attack. It is similar in design and concept to the slat armor used on the Stryker armored vehicles for the same purpose."link

Edited by Leonidas - 23-Sep-2006 at 12:23
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 16:10
I think TUSK also includes a field radio on the back so that infantry can use it to call in for support.
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 17:28
   Especially for urban warfare Russians plan to take in their arsenal BMPT-Fighting Vihicle for Tank Support (the conception was introduced in the late 80-s, immediately after the Afghan war, although due to financial difficulties it didn't materialize). It was supposed to clear the short range anti-tank weapons( missiles, RPG's) in urban areas ahead of the BMP's and tanks. The base was the T-72(on current modifications T-90) chassis with additional armor and special armament.
    The BMPT "Ramka-99"(demonstrated in 2000) was armed with 30mm gun(same as BMP2), 7,62mm MG and 2 30mm automatic mortars. In 2002, a new version was introduced armed with 2 30mm gun,single 7,62 MG, 2 30mm automatic mortars and 4 "Ataka-T" anti-tank guided missile launchers. The possibility of simulataneous fire on 4 different targets is the big advantage of the weapons system, the turret is unmanned-the 5 members of the crew are completely in the vihicle's hull. It has battle weight of 48t, and the same engine like T-90 MBT.

Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 18:03

Originally posted by J.M.Finegold

Since this casette is around the turret ring, and no real effort was made to redesign the tank with some sort of blast escape to protect the crew [like the M1 Abrams] after the Soviets introduced semi-combustible cartridges into their army, they have a tendency of blowing up and throwing the turret around.

I'm very suspicious that a missile or RPG round that had penetrated succesfully the hull's armor and could cause ammo fire would leave the crew unharmed. With or without the ammo explosion, once the cumulative jet enters the combat compartment of any MBT the result for the crew is lethal-the whole inside space of the turret instantly heats to few thousands degrees C. Maybe an "Abrams" in the same situations, you had mentioned, would remain with it's turret on the place, but the fate of the tankers will be absolutely the same: instantly cooked.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 19:43
BMP-T.
This is not a fighting vehicle.It is a whole god damned mech-warrior.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 11:23
Originally posted by Desperado

With or without the ammo explosion, once the cumulative jet enters the combat compartment of any MBT the result for the crew is lethal-the whole inside space of the turret instantly heats to few thousands degrees C. 

I dont think the entire crew compartment instaneously heats up to thousands of degrees.   Books on the Arab Israeli wars contain references to shaped warhead hits on Israeli tanks during the 1973 war that killed one or more crew members (including the gunner on a batalion commander's tank) but other crew escaped.  I am pretty sure that there have been RPG penetrations on Bradleys and even M-1s (through roofs)  in Iraq that have not resulted in the entire crew being killed.

As a side note, the Merkava tank has a 60 mm mortar for Urban or mountaneous combat.

Edited by Cryptic - 24-Sep-2006 at 11:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>