Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cervantes or Shakespeare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [42.86%]
12 [57.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cervantes or Shakespeare
    Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 16:27

What author do you like more? Cervantes or Shakespeare?

Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 21:59
I personally prefer Cervantes. I have been reading Don Quixote and I like it alot more than anything I have read by Shakespeare.
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 04:45

They are different but abosolutly brilliant, it's very difficult to chose one. I don't vote.

I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 22:09
I agree with you Barbarroja, they were both brilliant and it would be very hard to choose, but for some reason I just enjoy reading Cervantes more. Can't really explain it.
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 07:40
But Cervantes and Shakespeare are very different, one wrote novels and the other theatre mainly. To compare one Spanish and one English writer could be beter to compare Lope de Vega and Shakespeare.
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 15:30

For me, Shakespeare is a genious extraordinary and, of course, is the greatest author in English language that ever existed.

Cervantes, however, being as genial as Shakespeare, it is unique. Nobody has written the way he did, not before and not after him. He was the creator of the "fantastic realism", the "psycological novel", etc.  Professionals writers all over the world admire him and still serves as a model because his way to manage the language, sense of humour, and deep phylosophy.

I particularly admire Cervantes' sense of humor given his life has anything to laugh about, and he wrote the Quixote in prison.

I am native Spanish speaker, and I once though that Cervantes was going to be forever confined to the limits of the language. But I have seen certain English translations and it is amazing the same vitality is transmited in English as well.

Shakespeare was the last of the classical writers, and I respect him for his formality and his superb skills. Cervantes was the first post-modern and humanistic writer.

I love both, but if I have to chose, I preffer Don Quixote instead of Hamlet.

Pinguin.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 12:56
SHAKESPEARE wins hands down.

The two cannot even be compared, Cervantes is a great don't get me wrong but his work cannot be adopted to modern day, his appeal will never be as great outside of Europe-the West, he lacks the genius of Shakespeare.

Shakespeare was extraordinary, love, revenge, humour, unrequited love, tragedy and so on, these are themes of HUMANITY ITSELF, it doesn't matter what background, ethnicity, culture you come from we can all connect to Shakespeare's works because these themes never change. Shakespeare's works can be adopted to modern day today in the next hundred years and the next thousand years. Cervantes cannot.

By the way, the only writer that would come close would be Chaucer, now there's another fantastic writer.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 13:07
It seems you haven't read Cervantes.

In comparison, Shakespeare looks more like a writer of soup operas, which included a lot of poisoning, killings and depressing dead on scene. All special effects to captive the public.

Shakespeare simply follows the schemes of the classical tragedy, nothing else. Although that does not rest to his genious.

Cervantes has been considered better by professional writers because he explores the human mind. He speak about mankind above all, because Don Quixote is not a middle age's knight at all. Don't Quixote is the dreammer.It is you who Cervantes describes. Don't Quixote is the human condition.

If you believe he is obsolete, you simply haven't read him. Go to make your homework.

Pinguin

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 15:39
I can't believe this, you cannot compare the two Shakespeare is in another league.

In comparison, Shakespeare looks more like a writer of soup operas, which included a lot of poisoning, killings and depressing dead on scene.

That's life man, these things happen and if you think that;s all Shakespeare wrote about your wildly mistaken, you never heard of Shakesperean Comedies? "Much ado about Nothing", A Midsummer Nights Dream, Comedy of Errors and so on.

Shakespeare isn't just read its LIVED, the plays are still very popular and many have been converted into films and influenced so many films, books, plays ever since.

Edited by Bulldog - 05-Oct-2006 at 15:41
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by Bulldog

I can't believe this, you cannot compare the two Shakespeare is in another league.

I agree. They were of a different speciality.
Shakespeare wrote to be represented at the theatre.
Cervantes wrote to be read.

In comparison, Shakespeare looks more like a writer of soup operas, which included a lot of poisoning, killings and depressing dead on scene.

That's life man, these things happen and if you think that;s all Shakespeare wrote about your wildly mistaken, you never heard of Shakesperean Comedies? "Much ado about Nothing", A Midsummer Nights Dream, Comedy of Errors and so on.

Shakespeare isn't just read its LIVED, the plays are still very popular and many have been converted into films and influenced so many films, books, plays ever since.

I love Shakespeare. He was perhaps the greatest theatre writer ever. He reflected life like it is, I agree. But if you want to know what's going in on inside YOUR mind, then Cervantes is the man.

Remember, we are not talking about mediocre writers, but perhaps the best than ever existed. So both, and a select group of others, live in the Olympus already.

For writers in general, Cervantes is the best. Nobody mastered the word and the writting technique like he did. But he is meant to be read, and only read.

If you want to know where originated the novel, the "magic realism" and the psycological novel, all of them have its root in Cervantes. And any writer that want to develop his skills for writing, certainly has studied him.

Pinguin

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 18:16
I agree its hard to compare the two as they're involved in different writting styles.
Albert Pine

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:36
I really can't choose between the two - still it's a great mix of social critisism. They both try to compile the virtues of their travels, and they both end up finding the same answer the human society was and probably never be perfect; it is a matter of how we will continue going on forward.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 14:54
First of all, they are both the greatest writers in their own respective languages.

But with no disrepect to Cervantes, Shakespeare is only comparable to Homer in Western literature.

Now I have read both extensively, although I miss the certain appreciation for Cervantes because I did not read him is his original tongue.

However, depth and richness in literature can transcend barriers of language and time, which is why these will always be classics.

Why I consider Shakespeare the greater poet (in Aristotle's use of the word) is his range and depth. It's not a matter of Cervantes being more in the head than Shakespeare. Read Macbeth or Othello or Much Ado About Nothing.

Cervantes invented the novel, true.

Shakespeare wrote theatre. True, and sonnets. And theatre of the his times was the TV and movie media of our time - not the theatre of our time.

For writers in general, it depends on their native tongue perhaps. But outside of habla espanol, Cervantes doesn't get a quarter of the attention and study Shakespeare receives. For writers, for people in general, Shakespeare is a more common subject.

It's always a delicate subject, because people's nationalist sensitivies flare up, but honestly, if you think Cervantes is more in the mind or more a master of the word, then you really aren't very familiar with Shakespeare. And I will be the first to admit Homer is a superior poet to Shakespeare. Nationalism has no place in the humanities.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 12:21
I think a better comparison would be Jorge Luis Borges and Shakespeare. Besides, Shakespeare may have been the most prolif writer of all time. The man has more works attributed to his name than any other writer in history. He wrote Sonnets, plays, essays... the man was out of control.

Don Quixote is a great book (I haven't read any more Cervantes, I lament), but it's not up to the snuff of Borges (who, incidentally, has been called the most influential Spanish-language writer since Cervantes). If you you haven't read him, I highly recommend it. He, I believe, has captured the human spirit and dilemna equally as well as William Shakespeare.
Cheers.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 12:32

Don Quixote was considered the best book ever by professional writers.

Shakespeare? Well, he didn't write novels, but mainly theatre.

I believe William Shakespeare was just another "Greek" writer that wrote in an absolete style for modern times. Why he was so famous? Simple: he was British.

Pinguin

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 12:47
Why he was so famous has nothing to do with his national origins but rather his masterful grasp of the English language. There are many briliant famous writers who are not British. For instance Alexandre Dumas is incredibly famous he is not British, Kafka is incredibly famous he is not British, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (sp?) is incredibly famous he is not British, Dante is incredibly famous he is not British, Umberto Eco is incredibly famous he is not British, your point sir, is moot. In Shakespeares day there were other writers who have not been deamed as great as him, Ben Johnson, Marlow, Milton, et al. All are seen as prolific writers but none are on Shakespeare's level. Do you have a problem with the novels of Dickens, Hardy, or the Bronte sisters.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 13:06
Well, for English speaking writers, Shakespeare is not my favorite.

I love Edgard Allan Poe. For me, that guy should be in a greater stand for the English writers, but, anyways.

I also like the works of Dickens and Mark Twain.

There are many english speaking writers I do like, indeed, particularly in terror and science fiction, like Mary Shelley, H.G.Wells, Lovecraft, Robert Heinlein, Phllip K. Dick.

Edited by pinguin - 23-Feb-2007 at 13:07
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 14:30
He's not my favorite either. I love Thomas Hardy, I think he should be the measuring point for all English writers.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 16:03
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

It's always a delicate subject, because people's nationalist sensitivies flare up, but honestly, if you think Cervantes is more in the mind or more a master of the word, then you really aren't very familiar with Shakespeare. And I will be the first to admit Homer is a superior poet to Shakespeare. Nationalism has no place in the humanities.

Well, the Cervantes has just one masterpiece: Don Quixote. The rest can't compite.

But is "Don Quixote" precisely, a piece of literature that does not have comparison, at least in Spanish literature. And actually, most professionals writers worldwide have agreed on that.

Shakespeare is a writer of theatre and in that field he does not have comparison, I agree. But none of his play, by separate, can compare to Don Quixote as a single piece.

I don't know if you get the difference.

Don Quixote was the first modern novel, psicological and with an extensive use of a technique one could call "magical realism". It is a reference for modern novelists. Besides, the way Cervantes phrase it is amazing.

Don't Quixote is for reading and learning to write. Shakespeare's plays were made to be represented in the theatre.

Don Quixote is modern, Hamlet-Otello-Romeo and Juliet-The tempest or any other Shakespeare's plays are old and classical. That's the difference.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 23-Feb-2007 at 16:06
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 16:09
Can you explain to me how Don Quixote is modern? It was written at roughly the same time as Hamlet-Othello-Romeo and Juliet et al. All these plays deal with modern themes, to be more precise they deal with themes that course through the vains of all ages; love, hate, jealousy, vengence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>