Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Kingdoms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Kingdoms
    Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 00:54
I've been thinking of compiling a list of all the kingdoms/nations of Medieval Europe and surrounding Asia. There would be a short history on each one and I will probably(hopefully) get a website going with a search engine/encyclopedia thing to search for the entries. I have began to compile a list with dates of when the first king, and last king ruled. Please correct me if any of these dates are wrong, because I know there are alot of wrong ones. I still have to double check many of these years. It would be great if you could tell me any of the dates I have missing right now too. I still have a very,very long ways to go.

Also, was Serbia a nation at this time?  

• Golden Horde (1226-1502) 

Asia Minor  
  • Fatimid Caliphate (909-1171) 
  • Byzantine Empire (395?-1453)
  • Kingdom of Abasgia
  • Kingdom of Iberia (299 B.C-1008 AD)
  • Seljuk Sultanate
  • Kingdom of Georgia
  • Emirate of Badajoz
  • Seljuk Sutanate of Rum
  • Zangid Empire 
  • Kingdom of Jerusalem
  • Principality of Antioch
  • County of Tripoli
  • Latin Empire
  • Empire of Nicaea
  • Empire of Trebizond
  • Despoatate of Rhodes
  • Kingdom of Cyprus
  • Kingdom of Acre
  • Ayyubid Sultanate (1174-1260)
  • Kingdom of Armenia

Iberia

• Kingdom of Galicia
  • Kingdom of Castile
  • County of Barcelona
  • Kingdom of Leon (913-1230)
  • Kingdom of Navarre (824-?)
  • Emirate of Majorca
  • Kingdom of Portugal 
  • Umayyad Caliphate, Iberia (711-1031)
  • Nasrid Kingdom of Granada (1230-1492)

Western Europe

• Kingdom of France (843-1792)
  • Kingdom of Burgundy (933-1033)
  • Kingdom of England (927-1707)
  • Kingdom of Scotland (843-1707)
  • Earldom of Orkney (870-1098) 
  • Commonwealth of Iceland (930-1262)
  • Dukedom of Normandy

Central Europe, Greece and the Balkans

• Holy Roman Empire (843-1806)
  • Kingdom of Croatia (925-1102)
  • West Bulgarian Empire, Danube Bulgars (584-1018)
  • Second Bulgarian Kingdom (1185-?)   
  • Kingdom of Hungary (1000-1918)
  • Dukedom of Bohemia
  • Principality of Nitra (not really sure about this one).
  • Empire of Salonika
  • Despotate of Epirus

The Baltic

• Kingdom of Norway
  • Kingdom of Denmark(including Danish empire)
  • Kingdom of Sweden (990- Present Day)

Eastern Europe

• Principality of Russia
  • Principality of Novograd
  • Principality of Polotsk
  • Principality of Poland
  • Principality of Chernigov
  • Principality of Galicia
  • Volga Bulgars (660?-1236)
  • Great Principality of Kiev
  • Principality of Pereyaslavl
  • Principality of Smolensk 
  • Principality of Turov-Pinsk
  • Principality of Volhynia
  • Principality of Suzdal
  • Principality of Murom Riazan
  • Great Principality of Vladimir
  • Knights of the Sword

Italian Peninsula

• Venice
  • Emirate of Sicily (831-1072)
  • Norman Dukedom of Apulia
  • Norman County of Capua
  • Kingdom of Sicily

North Africa

• Maghrawanid Emirate of Fez
  • Hammadid Emirate of Qalat
  • Zirid Eimrate of Kairouan
  • Zirid Emirate of Mahdiya
  • Hammadid Emirate of Bougie  
  • Almoravid Empire
  • Beni Hilal
  • Beni Sulaym
  • Almohad Caliphate

Edited by Peter III - 16-Sep-2006 at 15:04
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 01:03
How about the Eastern Roman Empire?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 01:47
Serbia was under the Bulgars at this time, IIRC, would change hands to become Byzantine property within a generation.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 01:49
Also, you should add the Muslim Sicilian Emirate to the list.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 01:59

That list make little sense? How can the Dukedom of Normandy be a nation?

A Duchy is an element of a kingdom. Duchy of Normandy was part of the Kingdom of France.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 10-Sep-2006 at 01:59
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 04:51
Originally posted by Peter III

• Principality of Poland

Poland was a kingdom in periods:

1. 1025-1031
2. 1076-1079
3. 1295-1296
4. 1300-1795
5. 1815-1831

Here is the list of Polish kings
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:46
Serbia had been a kingdom for a while between 1300s-1400s
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:49

Kingdom of Hungary...Better if we say it lived between 900s and 1526, and then was under Ottoman and Habsburg rule respectively between 1526-1868 and then revived again in 1868 with the creation of Dual Monarchy.

What about Genoa? Hadn't it emerged as an independent city-state at 10th or 11th century?

Edited by Kapikulu - 10-Sep-2006 at 17:46
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 15:59

I always thought the duchy was practically independent from France during a period in the 10th-12th centuries. It may have been claimed by France, but not ruled by France. I'm not really sure though. Just because its called a Dukedom doesn't mean it really is.

Also, when I say nation, I just mean that the land was indpendent for a period of time.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 16:03

Dukedom of Normandy, of course it was practically independent at the time, and it was where William the Conqueror had ruled before going out for England.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 16:42
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Kingdom of Hungary...Better if we say it lived between 900s and 1526,being in Ottoman and Habsburg rule respectively and then reviving again in 1868 with the creation of Dual Monarchy.

What about Genoa? Hadn't it emerged as an independent city-state at 10th or 11th century?

In the medium ages Hungary was neither ruled by Habsburgs nor by Ottomans. They were completely independent and quite powerful kingdom.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 16:57
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

A Duchy is an element of a kingdom. Duchy of Normandy was part of the Kingdom of France.

Well now, the Dukedom of Normandy can hardly be said to have been subjected to the French king in any other way than the purely formal at this point, which was also true for many of the other dukedoms and counties too.

Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:13
Well now, the Dukedom of Normandy can hardly be said to have been subjected to the French king in any other way than the purely formal at this point, which was also true for many of the other dukedoms and counties too.

That is exactly what I always thought. Formally it belonged to France but in reality it was independent.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:44
Originally posted by Majkes

In the medium ages Hungary was neither ruled by Habsburgs nor by Ottomans. They were completely independent and quite powerful kingdom.

You got me wrong;that wasn't what I meant...What I meant was:It was under Ottoman and Habsburg rule respectively, between 1526 and 1868...

Edited by Kapikulu - 10-Sep-2006 at 17:47
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 03:07
The Medieval Kingdom of Lithuania 1251-1263
Grand Duchy of Lithuania XII century - 1569
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 06:07

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

A Duchy is an element of a kingdom.
Not necessarily. Luxembourg is currently a Grand Duchy but it isn't part of any kingdom: it is independently sovereign.

Even while it was still only a Duchy, and the Duke was also King of the Netherlands, Luxembourg was not part of his kingdom, which is why the holders of the titles diverged in 1890, because Luxembourg followed the Salic law, and the Netherlands didn't. (Just as happened when the Electorate of Hanover's independence of the United Kingdom was confirmed in 1837.)

Moreover in much of the middle ages, when Luxembourg was only a county, it still wasn't part of any kingdom. (That was its status in 1000AD, so I guess the County of Luxembourg should be in the list). The only time it was part of a kingdom (as far as I remember) was after the annexation by France under Louis XIV.

There are more examples in Italy, where the Duchy of Milan, for instance, was not part of any kingdom during much of the middle ages/Renaissance.

Duchy of Normandy was part of the Kingdom of France.

Separate issue and arguably true. The fact that it was called a Duchy doesn't prove it however.

Edited by gcle2003 - 11-Sep-2006 at 06:31
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 08:55

That is exactly what I always thought. Formally it belonged to France but in reality it was independent.

Indeed, in fact, at this point you could say the higher nobility ruled the French king more than he ruled them. After all, Hugh Capet can hardly be said to have been more than a puppet of the higher nobility when they elected him to be king of France, and the only reason they chose a member of the house of Capet was most likely because they regarded it as a relatively harmless family that was unable to interfere with their independence.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 12:31
I think Normandy was a colony independent of France. The Vikings besieged Paris twice (845 and 855) and were both times bribed to leave before they settled in the territory of Normandy showing that the King of France didn't have any power over them.

Edited by vulkan02 - 11-Sep-2006 at 12:36
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Majkes

You got me wrong;that wasn't what I meant...What I meant was:It was under Ottoman and Habsburg rule respectively, between 1526 and 1868...

Ok, understood.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 19:18

Hmm.. you don't understand the concept behind. All duchies are independent to some extent, still they are obligate vassals of the French king and they are all French. Normans and Angevins etc never referred to themselves as such, they simply called themselves Franc (early form of French, see tapestry of Bayeux ordered by Odo of Bayeux)

Now, a Duke or count, like the Duke of Normandy or Count of Anjou, could become overwhemingly powerful, and if he was confident enough even challenge the king of France, and then attempt to control the throne.  So there is a nation, which is France, and there are duchies which ccan be under direct control of the king of France or some other dukes. it was all a predatorial game, Anjou nearly won, but in the end the King of France destroyed all his opponents. If you are acquitted wit medieval Japan you'd notice a similar pattern. Predatorial provinces fighting each other for dominance.

A duchy can break away if there is a popular revolt like French flanders. Nevertheless, France reconquered most of the lost territories.

These were the kingdoms (Britanny was a kingdom not Normandy). Red for France. You see only a small part of Flanders and part of hard- to-control land below the pyrenees were lost to the kingdom of France. Of course we compensated for the lost by swallowing a large chunk of Lotharingia

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 11-Sep-2006 at 20:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>