Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finest Army of the 20th Century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Japanese Army 1905
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [1.89%]
15 [5.66%]
78 [29.43%]
61 [23.02%]
82 [30.94%]
21 [7.92%]
3 [1.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finest Army of the 20th Century
    Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 15:40

Bryan wrote:
And what about the American Army?  U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well, maybe it's not up there because friend Paul doesn't particularly care for the US much (from personal observations, no offense intended), hmm? Bah, out of what is up there, I think I'll go with... eeni-meenie-minie-moe... erm, Israel.

Ah but disliking with Neo-Conservatism and me not looking at the past objectively are two different things. (actually maybe not isn't creating a fictional highly patriotic past for mass consumption a Neo-Conservative founding principle?). The reason the US is not there is because each army has a date, nobody who mentions the US has put a date yet. Secondly most of the date correspond to the army in question fought and defeated a superior opposition. The only major war the US has had in the 20th century is WWII and they outnumbered the German's at least 5/1 so it can't count.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 16:10
If equipment doesn't count, I have to say it's the red army. Sometimes on conditions of three bullets per person, they were able to push the Germans back in WW2, an amazing feat.
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 22:18
mmm I considerer that the american army in gulf war was the finest by equipment and training. But if u consider the "art" of the generals and the bravery of soldiers i ll go for the 1940 wermacht.
Not yet mein friend, not yet
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 15:52
Ill say the Germans, British, and USA.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 16:12
Originally posted by Paul

The only major war the US has had in the 20th century is WWII and they outnumbered the German's at least 5/1 so it can't count.

what about the pacific theater?

mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 17:56
It's the IDF damnit! Israelies don't get a break.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 18:17
Israel Army and the US Army.

The German's lost pathetically to the US at the Battle of the Bulge. Peopel say the US had a poorly trained Army, but the German's did horrible at the Battle of the Bulge. They couldn't even take Bastogne...which was defended by gravely outnumbered and totally surrounded US troops.

those claim the US only won when they had numbers....but the battle of the Bulge proves that totally wrong.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 22:38

Ill still say the Germans becs. they were take on the world and they were in the war longer.

in my other post

Ill say the Germans, British, and USA.

Ill add Israelies to my list.

one mor thing German tanks were kick @$$.

Edited by Praetorian
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 23:56

Wait the US doesn't count for World War II but the Red Army does? 

I understand your dislike of the Neo Conservative movement(I recommend "the Power of Nightmares" a superb BBC documentaries) but thats no reason to ignore the US.  Also why on Earth is the Pasradan up there? 

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 01:51
I agree that this thread jsut ignore the US for absolutely no reason. It makes no sense to ignore the Nations that was just as heavily involved in WW1 and WW2 as anyone else.

its just being racist. you claim that the US doesn't count because it outnumbered people......but yet you include the Red Army.....this makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by Illuminati
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 09:02

Yes, friend Paul. I think there are some sound arguments there. I myself consider the US army of WW2 only the 3rd best in the era, but in a poll about best 20th century armies they should be there (and I despise neo-cons even more than you do).

Having said that, I wouldn't vote for the US army (which was very good, though) but for the Wehrmacht. Outnumbered, outequipped and outproduced, against all odds, they managed to fight a multi-front war to the bitter end. Their extraordinary leaders, both in mid and in high-lelel commands, their will to fight to the end and their pure skill, are unmatched by any other 20th century army.

I don't hold the slightest sympathy for them (being the schweinhunde they were, having murdered millions of civilians, propagating the cruelest regime of the modern world) but they were as an army on their own league. Far away from the Red Army (#2) and US Army (#3).

Edited by Romano Nero
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 12:05

Sound argument or misinterpretation and a little hysteria.

My exact words were, (printed above)

"The reason the US is not there is because ............. most of the dates correspond to the army in question fought and defeated a superior opposition. "

It's a clear premise, most of the armies fought an enemy that outnumbered them. My personal criteria for being a great army. notice I carefully said most not all, because I'm aware the Russians outnumbered the German. However in 41 and 42 they were clearly the inferior force and the 45 tag simply represents the army coming to full fluition.

Now for the silly comments, it's racist not to include the US. So apparently this means the US is a race? I'm I left two hundred odd other countries out including not mentioning the British army of 44/45, so I'm racist towards all these countries too. Finally a whole lot of other polls have appeared on this site and the writer has left 200 plus countries out on all of the. Wot racists we are. 

However bowing to popular demand I now officailly add the US army to the poll

US Army 1989

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 16:17
 Heh accidently voted for the Red Army 3 times. Shouldn't that not be allowed?
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 16:16
in the early part of the century i would say the germans

in the later part of the cenury i would say the american
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 17:51

In a battle of 1905 war,Japanese lost more than ten thousand men in order to take a Russian stronghold in LvShun.  Russian only lost several hundred men.  God! Do you think they are the best?  Maybe their soliders at that time were good. But the general was a fool.

Recall the battle of Khakin Gol(spelling might be wrong- its in mongolia), where so many Russians died that japanese troops stepped over bodies rather than solid ground?

-----

I'd go for Israeli Army.  In like 7 days, it expanded nearly double of its land, and defeated 3 opponents...! 

Grrr..
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 21:43

The American Empire=The Roman Empire, for better, for worse. 

Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 15:17

I have been doing some thinking, the top 4 finest army in the 20th-century (in order) would be:

1.The Germans because it took pretty much the whole world to take them down and if they went one-on-one in any country at that time, they would win.

2.USA., because we survive the Cold War and we are the number one power on earth! (after the Soviet Empire fell).

3. The Soviet Union , because they were the most powerful country in Asia, and they were major threat in the Cold War.

4.Israel, is because the most powerful country in the Middle East, they have fought many different countries in the Middle East and won.

Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 21:16

"Now for the silly comments, it's racist not to include the US. So apparently this means the US is a race? I'm I left two hundred odd other countries out including not mentioning the British army of 44/45, so I'm racist towards all these countries too. Finally a whole lot of other polls have appeared on this site and the writer has left 200 plus countries out on all of the. Wot racists we are. "

You are right.You are very right,indeed.For me,I say the Red Army.

In Honor
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 19:34
Originally posted by demon

Recall the battle of Khakin Gol(spelling might be wrong- its in mongolia), where so many Russians died that japanese troops stepped over bodies rather than solid ground?

-----

I'd go for Israeli Army.  In like 7 days, it expanded nearly double of its land, and defeated 3 opponents...! 

The Red Army didn't suffer nearly as many casualties as the Japanese lost..the Japanese were firmly defeated.

And I voted for the IDF.
Conquistador View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Conquistador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 08:56
I voted for Wehrmacht 1940, they were superior to any other army at the time, and they proved it time after time on the battlefield. The only problem where it's leaders, like Hitler, they are the ones who ****ed it up as the war went on, not the army itself. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>