Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman army
    Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 14:02
Originally posted by Josip

Originally posted by kurt

noone has mentioned how quickly the Ottomans could replenish losses

They had a cool system of replenishing troops = janissaries :) That is, stealing babies from conquered regions and raising them up as their own, then incorporating them into the military system.
Effective, no? I would prefer that then to slaughter the inhabitants of the land and make them solely Turkish land with Turkish populations.
"The league is alright when sparrows dispute but it can do little when eagles argue" -Mussolini
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 19:13
I guess that the rise of the Ottomans was a conjucntion of several factors:
1 - The Eastern Roman Empire was a shadow of its former self, much to the blame of the Fourth Crusade;
2 - The Balkans were in turmoil due to intercine quarrels between Hungarians, Serbians, Bosnians, Wallachians, etc.
3 - After taking care of the Mamluks, the only permanent menace the Ottomans faced in the East were the Turkish sultanates (like Karaman, etc.) and then the Safavids (Timur was just a quasi-fatal fait d'ivers). The Europeans were still much divided to present a common front;
4 - Discipline (no need to harp on that any longer, I think we all agree on that!);
5 - Excellent equipment (just as an example, the rifled tfek was much more acurate than the European musquet)
6 - Good strategy, tactics and civil/military administration;
7 - Meritocracy (no one as refered this, though it's very important as a way to achieve excellence in all fields)

When the Turks reached their apex, I guess they though no one could surpass'em any more so they declined, they stoped. The Europeans, on the contrary, evolved and also directed their efforts overseas, thus conquering most of the World.
With a critical spirit and open to new knowledge (not just preserving it in a Medieval fashion), and with new economical resourses, the Europeans were able to create new, moder armies that the Ottomans tried to copy with the help of foreign advisors (they had already done the same with Urban, right?)

At last, the Ottomans survived for so long due more to European help that anything else. Confront the military and the political outcome of the war of 1876-77; that will show what I mean.

Oh, and as for the "Turkish power" refered above, well... what can I say?
The "powerful" Ottomans Janissaries were killed by hundreds by the Portuguese in Abyssinia between 1541-1542, although the Portuguese were greatly outnumbered. There's a good eye-witness description of this by Miguel de Castanhoso, BTW. But, of course, we, the Portuguese don't boast on our "Portuguese Power" in a sort of afirmative action "macho-style"... Wink

Take care.

Edited by Sikander - 06-Aug-2007 at 19:23
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:23
Good points. I'll make some additions:

1 - The Eastern Roman Empire was a shadow of its former self, much to the blame of the Fourth Crusade;

Also, and more so because they lost Anatolia to the Seljuks.

2 - The Balkans were in turmoil due to intercine quarrels between Hungarians, Serbians, Bosnians, Wallachians, etc.

This is the normal state for the Balkans. :)

3 - After taking care of the Mamluks, the only permanent menace the Ottomans faced in the East were the Turkish sultanates (like Karaman, etc.) and then the Safavids (Timur was just a quasi-fatal fait d'ivers). The Europeans were still much divided to present a common front;

Anatolia and the Turks were as divided as much as the Balkans were. Anatolian Turks were absorbed by the Ottomans 150 years after their foundation. Ottomans united Anatolia and the Balkans before expanding into Arabia and Hungary.

Europeans were able to create new, moder armies that the Ottomans tried to copy with the help of foreign advisors (they had already done the same with Urban, right?)

The case with Urban is not the same as what happened later, actually. Urban was an Hungarian engineer, but this does not mean that Hungary had better artillery than the Ottomans, nor that he was the only enginner Ottomans had at the time. Ottomans developed technology and enlisted best engineers available.

Look at a very similar case in history: American hydrogen bomb was designed by Teller, another Hungarian. Do you say that the US copied Hungarian technology? That is ridiculous.  

Until about 1550, it was the Latins who copied Ottoman military tactics, units, administration and technology. Hungarians whose technology Ottomans supposedly copied, fought the Ottomans in 1526 in Mohacs, and saw their cavalry army destroyed in a few hours by Ottoman firepower. Similar results with Hungarian, French, German, Austrian, Italian, Spanish, etc. armies who had the misfortune to clash with the Ottomans until about 1550.

Between 1550-1600 it was a tie between the Latins and the Ottomans. 1600-1750 Latins had taken the lead, but the Ottomans were still huge, so it was difficult for a Latin power to handle it one-on-one.

After about 1750 the Ottomans were at the mercy of Great Powers, but still they were not a pushover like other classical empires such as Iran or China.
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 13:13

Yep, in general you are right.

Of course the French and Germans didn't fought the Otomans (unless you count Nicopolis, which is just another fait d'ivers, a French one, in this case, eheheh!).

As for the Spanish, they were more ocupied with N. Africa than with the Ottomans proper, and basically only fought them in naval engagements. Venice stood up quite well until the late XVIIth c. [right now I have the long a bloody war in Candia (Crete) in my mind].

Alas, the Hungarians and then the Austrians took the brunt of the fight. I don't have any info regarding the use of artillery by the Hungarians, but I know that the "Black Army" was quite a nut hard to crack, very well equiped and motivated, despite the fact that they were all mercenaries.
Nevertheless, when we get to Mohacs, the Hungarians did clear tactical mistake by sending all the forces, namely the heavy cavalry, against excellent defensive positions covered by massive firepower.
Once more, it all leads to tactics: in 1578 a powerful Portuguese army was anihalated in Alcacer Kibir by a Moroccan army which, according to European (and possibly Ottoman!) standards was not as powerful...

Now, refering to copying "Ottoman military tactics, units, administration and technology", I don't see what did the Europeans copied from the Ottomans.
It wasn't its cavalry: the Europeans gradually abandoned armoured cavalry because of crossbows and guns, unlike the Ottomans who kept using amoured sipahis;
it wasn't light cavalry (the Europeans never used Tatars and such alike);
it wasn't the musketeers and arquebusiers (it seems that the Janissaries, for instance, rellied on marksmanship rather than volley fire like the Europeans);
it wasn't in the field artillery: the Europeans had it from the mid-14th century and never used "Ottoman-model" guns, at leats to my knowledge.
The only thing I remember right now is just a possibility that the Ottomans adopted naval artillery faster than the Europeans, but on the other hand the Portuguese (whose contacts with the Ottomans was, to say the least, nimble) used vessels with massive firepower (the galeon S. Joao "Botafogo", used in the siege of Tunis in 1537, had some 400 artillery pieces!), so perhaps even this possibility is inacurate.

As for the rest, you are obviously right: the Ottomans held longer than the rest of the non-European world... being surpassed only by Ethiopia!

The_Turks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote The_Turks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 09:24
Turcoman light cavalries(Sipahies) were %80 of Ottoman Army between 1300s-1600s. Those tribemans showed excelent abilities in lots of wars against the Crusaders. However, with developing war technologies, they lost their importance. After 17th century, Janisarries took their place...
PROUD TO BE TURKMEN...

Montreux View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Montreux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 18:22
I don't think anyone mentioned the system of the vassalage. Shocked

After the death of Stephen Dusan in 1355 his empire divides in ten little regions, which goverened itselves independently.
The situation in the Bulgarian Empire is not good at all. The rule of tzar Ivan Alexander started in 1331 and lasted for 40 years. Althought very supportive for the Bulgarian religion and culture, he was a poor politician and warrior. Wallachia, Moldavia and Dobrudzha became independent states *. The tzar divided the country in two, giving his youngest son Ivan Shishman the western part with capital city Vidin, and the eldest - Ivan Sratzimir - the old capital Turnovo. Five states for now, only on the Bulgarian people. Constantine Dragash established a little state of Eatern Macedonia. The sister of the former tzar Ivan Alexander is in Seres (also a widow of Stephen Dusan), Vulkashin is in Prilep. In todays Greece and the islands there are are people from Venice, Genua and so on.

I'm not going to describe every battle of the conquest. Just the basic strategy. The Balkan states did not use ordinary people for the armies. They hired soldiers, and since the Balkans were divided into hell of a lot of states, they coudn't afford much. The ottomans win a battle and immediately after that offer the states to become vassals. Using the powers of these vassals, they destroy the ones, who didn't want to become Ottoman vassals. A famours historian, whose name I can't remeber sayd "The Ottomans conquered the Serbs, Greeks and Bulgarians using the courage of the Serbs, Greeks and Bulgarians." When Krali Marco and Constantine Dragash were killed in battle, following their duty as vassals, the Ottomans claimed their thrones and didn't allow their heirs to get to them. They even used Balkan troops in the battles in Asian Minor.

That's basically how the Ottomans conquered the Balkans (At least a big part of it)

* That's not the beginning of the Romanian nation. The official and church language is Bulgarian. The names of their leaders are Slavonic, their titles are "voevode", which is the lord, who is in command of the regions on the borders. The Dobrudzha leaders were "despots", which implies that they accept the supremacy of the tzar, but are independent to do what they like.

P.S. Correct me for some of the names, if neccessary Wink
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 12:02
Ottomans won also thanks to their numerical superiority, very often they won with very heavy casualties ( Kosovo 1389 Constantinople 1453 Rhodes 1522 etc )

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 13:58

Of course the French and Germans didn't fought the Otomans (unless you count Nicopolis, which is just another fait d'ivers, a French one, in this case, eheheh!).

French knights fought the Ottomans at least in Nicopolis, yes. Germans (knights and mercenaries, landsknechten etc) fought them in many battles (Nicopolis, Varna, Belgrade, etc).

As for the Spanish, they were more ocupied with N. Africa than with the Ottomans proper, and basically only fought them in naval engagements.

Spanish could not come anywhere near Ottoman proper. Not because they were not 'interested', because they could not even control North Africa right next to them. Algeria was under Ottoman control in the 16th century. Spanish (in fact, Catholic coalition) attempts were thwarted.  

Venice stood up quite well until the late XVIIth c. [right now I have the long a bloody war in Candia (Crete) in my mind].

Not that well really. They lost their eastern mediterranean empire to the Ottomans.

Alas, the Hungarians and then the Austrians took the brunt of the fight. I don't have any info regarding the use of artillery by the Hungarians, but I know that the "Black Army" was quite a nut hard to crack, very well equiped and motivated, despite the fact that they were all mercenaries.

Hungarians were indeed the strongest western enemy of the Ottomans in the 15th century in my opinion, but not because of their technology. They were a large state, with great commanders like Hunyadi Janos, who knew how to wage war against the Ottomans, unlike the French and the Germans. 

Now, refering to copying "Ottoman military tactics, units, administration and technology", I don't see what did the Europeans copied from the Ottomans.

Depends on who you call 'Europeans'. 'European' is a useless term in my opinion. The Orthodox and East European Catholics learned a lot from the Ottomans. I wrote Latins before, that was possibly misleading. I meant the Roman catholics in Eastern Europe and Italy, countries which had extensive contact with the Ottomans. 

It is possible that the rest of the Catholics haven't taken anything from the Ottomans, but they had little contact anyway.

It wasn't its cavalry: the Europeans gradually abandoned armoured cavalry because of crossbows and guns, unlike the Ottomans who kept using amoured sipahis;

Not really. The numbers and importance of cavalry reduced greatly in the Ottoman armies by 1600. And the Balkan states and Austria and Hungary all used Ottoman style light cavalry.

Again, problems with the term 'European'. Are Poles, who used such cavalry not European? (I don't mean that they copied the Ottomans) What about the Russians, the Balkans, Hungary, Austria?

The only thing I remember right now is just a possibility that the Ottomans adopted naval artillery faster than the Europeans, but on the other hand the Portuguese (whose contacts with the Ottomans was, to say the least, nimble) used vessels with massive firepower (the galeon S. Joao "Botafogo", used in the siege of Tunis in 1537, had some 400 artillery pieces!), so perhaps even this possibility is inacurate.

Ottomans did not build ocaean-going galleons, and they could not fit their  galleys with 400 cannons. This does not mean that their cannon use or technology was lagging behind.

Ottoman ocean-going ships were indeed crap, and it is seen in their inability to expand into the Indian ocean.

As for the rest, you are obviously right: the Ottomans held longer than the rest of the non-European world... being surpassed only by Ethiopia!

In fact they lasted longer than most of the 'European' world as well. They out-survived once-great powers of Poland-Lithuania, Hungary, Austrian Empire, German Empire and even the mighty Russian Empire. 

Turcoman light cavalries(Sipahies) were %80 of Ottoman Army between 1300s-1600s. Those tribemans showed excelent abilities in lots of wars against the Crusaders.

Most Sipahis were not 'Turcoman light cavalry', they were 'timarli', similar to landed knights, or Byzantine pronia. More eastern states, like the Akkoyunlu, Karakoyunlu, Safavids etc relied on Turcoman light cavalry, not the Ottomans.

The Balkan states did not use ordinary people for the armies. They hired soldiers, and since the Balkans were divided into hell of a lot of states, they coudn't afford much.

This does not explain much, I am afraid. The situation was the same for the Ottomans. When the Ottomans were formed, there were more than ten rival Turkish states in Anatolia. Most of these were larger than the Ottomans' tiny Beydom. 

Nevertheless, Ottomans swallowed them all, just like they swallowed the Balkans. And this happened simultaneously, it's not like they united the Turks first and then turned West.

They even used Balkan troops in the battles in Asian Minor.

Why wouldn't they?

It is ironic that when the Ottomans fought Timur in Ankara, Turkish troops defected, causing what is arguably worst defeat in Ottoman history, while the Serbian troops fought on the Ottoman side to the end.

And stupid Turkish nationalists say today 'foreigners have betrayed us in history, Turks are the only friend of Turks'. Indeed, worst betrayals and revolts in early Ottoman history were caused by Turks (Jelali, Shahkulu), when the Balkans remained loyal to the Emperor.

Ottomans won also thanks to their numerical superiority, very often they won with very heavy casualties ( Kosovo 1389 Constantinople 1453 Rhodes 1522 etc )

According to the western sources Ottomans always outnumbered heroic western armies by 2:1 (according to Balkan sources 4:1). Turkish sources reverse the ratios. :)

Also according to the Balkan sources their heroic king or warlord someone or other killed about 1 million Ottomans in various engagements, but in the end was forced to surrender due to vast numerical superiority of the cowardly Ottomans, who won thanks to courage of their Balkan vassals or janissaries (since they used to be Christian they were genetically courageous)... :)

Here is a list of fifteen nationalities whom I've seen claim to having saved 'Europe' from the Ottomans: Polish, Hungarians, Albanians, Serbians, Maltese, Austrians, Russians, Greeks, Montenegrins, Rumanians, Italians, Spanish, Bulgarians, Croatians, Iranians. I am sure the list can be expanded. The very fact that this list is so long speaks volumes.

Even though Ottomans had superior administration, engineering, logistics, and later population, I would advise caution about believing Ottoman troop numbers you see flying around like shrapnel. The Ottomans kept good records of their military related financial records, and we have a fairly good idea of their general troop numbers. So I recommend that you check the sources about such claims, and if they are only from Western sources approach them with extreme prejudice.

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 16-Aug-2007 at 15:04
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 15:50
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Most Sipahis were not 'Turcoman light cavalry', they were 'timarli', similar to landed knights, or Byzantine pronia. More eastern states, like the Akkoyunlu, Karakoyunlu, Safavids etc relied on Turcoman light cavalry, not the Ottomans.
 _______

It is ironic that when the Ottomans fought Timur in Ankara, Turkish troops defected, causing what is arguably worst defeat in Ottoman history, while the Serbian troops fought on the Ottoman side to the end.

Sipahis. Depends on the era and location in question. In the Balkans the timarli sipahi were from the Christian populations, in Anatolia from existing timars of Turksih nobility.

The defecting troops of Kalmuks and Turkmens already had an axe to grind with Beyazid. Too many high taxes. Timur granted the beyliks their own territories to govern if they defected. Though the Serbian vassals fought well they did leave the field of battle too. This left Beyazid with a few janissaries and sipahis.

Edited by Seko - 15-Aug-2007 at 16:03
The_Turks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote The_Turks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 17:06
Originally posted by Tancrde

How could you learn numbers of the armies?

Sorry but there is no source u can learn except SUBJECTIVE ones.   
PROUD TO BE TURKMEN...

The_Turks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote The_Turks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Turcoman light cavalries(Sipahies) were %80 of Ottoman Army between 1300s-1600s. Those tribemans showed excelent abilities in lots of wars against the Crusaders.

Who was the owners of TIMARs?  = Genneraly Begs of Turcoman tribes. And who were the soldiers they trained? = Turcomans. Ofcourse I'm talking about a period. This system started to change after Jannisaries took the authority in military.

In addition, Ottoman palace forced nomadic Turkmens to be settled. That's why they had to give teritories to Turkmens. And the palace took soldiers from them instead of taxes. When Pashas came and started to took high taxes, Turkmens rioted... (Celali, Babaishak... etc)  

Edited by The_Turks - 15-Aug-2007 at 17:30
PROUD TO BE TURKMEN...

kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 06:05
Originally posted by Sikander

it wasn't in the field artillery: the Europeans had it from the mid-14th

The Battle of Tannenburg, 1510, is considered the defeat which marked the beginnning of the decline of the Teutonic Knights. In the battle, tartar cavalry destroyed Teutonic artillery. In Eastern Europe, Tatar cavalry were employed quite often, be it by the Byzantines in medievil times, or the Polish in world war two. For the most part, they were employed as mercenaries.

As for field artillery, Europeon models were definitely influenced by Ottoman artillery, for instance the Howitzer is in fact a development of the Abus Gun, which is an Ottoman inventions
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 07:36

it wasn'tin the field artillery: the Europeans had it from the mid-14th

The Battle of Tannenburg, 1510, is considered the defeat whichmarked the beginnning ofthe decline of the Teutonic Knights. In the battle, tartar cavalry destroyed Teutonic artillery. In Eastern Europe, Tatar cavalry were employed quite often, be it by the Byzantines in medievil times, or the Polish in world war two. For the most part, they were employed as mercenaries.

As for field artillery,Europeon modelswere definitely influenced by Ottoman artillery,for instance the Howitzer is in fact a development of the Abus Gun, which is an Ottoman inventions

Firstly - the battle of Tannenberg was fought in 1410.
Secondly - tatar cavalry was small fraction on Lithuanian army on the left side (The Poles were on right) and the Teutonic artilery and infnatry was routed by general charge by whole Lithuanian army (which was all cavalry), the counter attack by Teutonic knights pressed the Lithuanians who started to retreat, the Tatar cavalry was one of the first to run away and never return (part of Lithuanian army returned and flanked Teutonics who were tied with Poles).
The Tatar cavalry was nothing execptional in eastern European warfare as cavalry type. For example most of Russian and Lithuanian cavalry consisted of native horse archers.

Edited by axeman - 16-Aug-2007 at 12:14
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 08:55
Kurt said:
"As for field artillery, Europeon models were definitely influenced by Ottoman artillery, for instance the Howitzer is in fact a development of the Abus Gun, which is an Ottoman inventions"

Where did you read that? I would be interested to check that source...

When I say that the Europeans didn't copied the Ottoman light cavalry, I'm absolutely right.
Ottoman/Turcoman and Tatar light cavalry was mostly horse-archer.
The Western Europeans, on their hand, had light, spear or javelin-armed cavalry, not horse-archers. The "Spanish" ginetes, the hobillars, and the SErbian gussars were not a product of Turkish influence. Even horse-archery among the gussars was probably due more to Byzantine rather than Magyar influence.
Speaking about the Magyars, the only ones who, in W Europe, had horse-archers were the Hungarians who had themselves a steppe origin and many horse-archer vassals such as the Cumans.

The Eastern Europeans, like the Lithuanians/Poles and the Russians, and that was due more to Khazar/Bulgar influence (and later Tatar as well) than from the Ottomans.

The Ottomans may have influenced the Russians, I reckon that. If I remember well, many military items in the Russian arsenal have Turkish names so I guess this derives from Ottoman influence rather than, say, Tatar or Sefavid.

The sources I have about it are Osprey books on the subject ("Hungary and the Fall of Eastern Europe"; "Armies of Medieval Russian" and "Ottoman Armies", plus "Warriors of Eurasia" (Montvert).
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 13:59
Originally posted by Tancrde

We dont know that . This is only the europeans thought to win their complex about the ottomans. They lost because ottomans were betterWink
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 14:48
Who was the owners of TIMARs?  = Genneraly Begs of Turcoman tribes. And who were the soldiers they trained? = Turcomans.

Completely wrong. Ottomans' timarli sipahi were not the 'beys of Turcoman tribes', they were not nomads, they were not tribal, and their retainers (what you call 'soldiers they trained') were not Turcomans. Most timarli sipahi were of 'kul' (converted slaves or POW's like the Janissaries) origin.

I translate the following from Halil Inalcik's, Ottoman Empire Classical Age (1300-1600), p.119:

'In the 15th and 16th centuries most of the Timarli Sipahis were of kul ('slave') origin. Among Muslim Turks, only those who volunteered and gained honours in battle, and the followers of frontier lords ('ucbeylerinin yandaslari') could get a timar ('fief'). Statistics of Albania region of the year 1431 show that %16 of the sipahi were former Christian nobles, 30% were Anatolian Turks, 50% were slaves of the Sultan or other Beys. Remaining 4% of the timars belonged to Kadis, 'Piskopos' (Orthodox Bishops) and palace favourites. Later, the ratio of sipahis with Turkish origin slowly declined.'

Also note that the Muslim Anatolian Turks he mentions need not be Turcomans. They were mostly already settled Turks.

In addition, Ottoman palace forced nomadic Turkmens to be settled. That's why they had to give teritories to Turkmens. And the palace took soldiers from them instead of taxes. When Pashas came and started to took high taxes, Turkmens rioted... (Celali, Babaishak... etc) 

Timarli sipahi have nothing to do with Turcoman light cavalry. Turcomans were nomads or semi nomads, and they were organised in tribes, as you wrote yourself. They went to battle in their tribal oranisation. As I wrote before Safavids, Akkoyunlu, Karakoyunlu, etc. relied on Turcoman cavalry, not the Ottomans.

PS: I forgot the Armenians in the above list. :)

Edited by Beylerbeyi - 16-Aug-2007 at 15:03
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 16:14

The Battle of Tannenburg, 1510, is considered the defeat which marked the beginnning of the decline of the Teutonic Knights. In the battle, tartar cavalry destroyed Teutonic artillery. In Eastern Europe, Tatar cavalry were employed quite often, be it by the Byzantines in medievil times, or the Polish in world war two. For the most part, they were employed as mercenaries.

As for field artillery, Europeon models were definitely influenced by Ottoman artillery, for instance the Howitzer is in fact a development of the Abus Gun, which is an Ottoman inventions

This is untrue. First Battle was in 1410. Second Tartars role was very small and they didn't influence significantly on the Battle. Even Rusins from Smolensk did a better job so don't tell me that Tartars destroyed Teuton artillery. They were just small part of Lithuanian army. It is like I would say that Poles won Battle of Wagram. Artillery besides also wasn't important in this battle as it was very uneffective. It was big cavalry clash. Third Tartars weren't employed by Poland in WWII. They were Polish Tartars and they fought as Polish for their own country with their tartars banners. Nobody had to hire them. They were volunters. Fourth Teutons cannons for sure were not influenced by Ottomans.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 16:17
Originally posted by axeman

Firstly - the battle of Tannenberg was fought in 1410.
Secondly - tatar cavalry was small fraction on Lithuanian army on the left side (The Poles were on right) and the Teutonic artilery and infnatry was routed by general charge by whole Lithuanian army (which was all cavalry), the counter attack by Teutonic knights pressed the Lithuanians who started to retreat, the Tatar cavalry was one of the first to run away and never return (part of Lithuanian army returned and flanked Teutonics who were tied with Poles).
The Tatar cavalry was nothing execptional in eastern European warfare as cavalry type. For example most of Russian and Lithuanian cavalry consisted of native horse archers.

Your description of Tannenberg Battle is very good. Though I wouldn't say Teuton artillery was routed by Lithuanians. It was just so uneffective that it didn't play any role in the Battle.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 16:21

Kurt said:
"As for field artillery, Europeon models were definitely influenced by Ottoman artillery, for instance the Howitzer is in fact a development of the Abus Gun, which is an Ottoman inventions"

Where did you read that? I would be interested to check that source...

When I say that the Europeans didn't copied the Ottoman light cavalry, I'm absolutely right.
Ottoman/Turcoman and Tatar light cavalry was mostly horse-archer.
The Western Europeans, on their hand, had light, spear or javelin-armed cavalry, not horse-archers. The "Spanish" ginetes, the hobillars, and the SErbian gussars were not a product of Turkish influence. Even horse-archery among the gussars was probably due more to Byzantine rather than Magyar influence.
Speaking about the Magyars, the only ones who, in W Europe, had horse-archers were the Hungarians who had themselves a steppe origin and many horse-archer vassals such as the Cumans.

The Eastern Europeans, like the Lithuanians/Poles and the Russians, and that was due more to Khazar/Bulgar influence (and later Tatar as well) than from the Ottomans.

The Ottomans may have influenced the Russians, I reckon that. If I remember well, many military items in the Russian arsenal have Turkish names so I guess this derives from Ottoman influence rather than, say, Tatar or Sefavid.

The sources I have about it are Osprey books on the subject ("Hungary and the Fall of Eastern Europe"; "Armies of Medieval Russian" and "Ottoman Armies", plus "Warriors of Eurasia" (Montvert).

In case of Poland Ottomans influenced Polish warfare but not only them, also Czech, Hungarians, Germans etc. but Ottoman influence was significant. Ottomans influensed Poland more in case of clothes and culture than warfare. 
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 16:38
Originally posted by Majkes

Your description of Tannenberg Battle is very good. Though I wouldn't say Teuton artillery was routed by Lithuanians. It was just so uneffective that it didn't play any role in the Battle.

Yeah I agree, all we know that at the beginning of the battle the Teutonic artillery fire was ineffectual + we don't know where it was positioned, before or behind Teutonic infantry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>