Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman army
    Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 10:02
Did you ever heard march of Mehter?=)!!!
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 03:59
Yes! In the Istanbul military museum! Its' really interesting!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 17:57

The millitary bands helped the Ottomans and previous Turk states aswell.

Has anyone listened to them? Damn they get you in the mood for fighting, get the adrelling rushing, create national fervour and pride. Imagine thousands getting pyhced up by for example the "Hujum Marsh" ShockedTongue

In the SultanAhmet Square they the Millitary Bands were playing at the weekends, I can see how it would have been a moral booster.

Ottomans borrowed from the West and vica-versa.

The Millitary Bands was a concept bought to Europe by the Turks who had been using it for over a thousand years.  Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven etc were influenced by this music heavily and wrote some compositions inspired by it.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 00:25
Originally posted by Bulldog

Ottomans borrowed from the West and vica-versa.

The Millitary Bands was a concept bought to Europe by the Turks who had been using it for over a thousand years.  Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven etc were influenced by this music heavily and wrote some compositions inspired by it.

I heard about this but how did they get influenced. They wrote other music than millitary but I know mozarts turkish march
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:07
Originally posted by Bulldog

Not really by the Turks.Trenk's panduri brought it.They brought it from Slavonia(eastern part of Croatia) just after it was reconquered from the Turks.They also used clothes very similar to Ottoman.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 09:55
Originally posted by Maljkovic

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Jagatai, I'm not surprised you heard nothing of that war. Most history book desribe it under Ottoman-Hungarian and later Habsburg-Ottoman war, Croats being depicted as Hungarian/Habsburg forces. In fact, the war lasted from 1463-1607. It is the bloodiest period in Croatian history, and it took centuries for the country to recover but in the end it was well worth it!   
The thing i don't know is which dates Croats stopped Ottomans and which battles Ottomans had lost to Croats.There are lots of battles in that area, and mostly resulted with Ottoman victory.

You never heard of the battle at Sisak in 1593? Retaking of northern Bosnia in 1463? Zrinski Brod 1483? Vrpila 1491? Unsucessful sieges of Jajce in 1501, 1502, 1518 and 1521? I could just go on forever. Sure, there were Ottoman victories, but never one decisive enough to conquer all of Croatia.

I think the role of Croatia is not so widely known, since it was in union with Hungary.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 10:00

Pretty much all protoserbian states left behind after Dusan's empire fell apart, Moldavia, Bosnia, Albania...
... so what's that only battle which triggered the fall of Moldavia and when this falling happened?

Edited by Chilbudios - 21-Sep-2006 at 10:03
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 11:00
It was just because of local Muslim Bosniaks who confronted some tyrant Albanian Begs ( Khans of Balcans ) .
They had to confront Ottomans , because high taxes were paid to those who were elected to regional government .
Ottoman Army has never failed, except the traison and collaboration of the trust-worthy local people with enemies .
( BTW , I 'm Markovic ) ;) Zdravo .

Edited by Mordoth - 21-Sep-2006 at 11:02
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 13:13
Not really by the Turks.Trenk's panduri brought it.They brought it from Slavonia(eastern part of Croatia) just after it was reconquered from the Turks.They also used clothes very similar to Ottoman.

At the time "Istanbul" was the greatest city in the known world and a place of intrigue and splendor to the West. The orientalism, "harems"Wink, Turkish baths, Tea-Coffe houses, splendid fountains, architecture etc in its hight it was totally awesome just look at some old pics of the city. This ofcourse influenced many in the West, Mozart and Beethoven are classic examples of this.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by Raider

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Jagatai, I'm not surprised you heard nothing of that war. Most history book desribe it under Ottoman-Hungarian and later Habsburg-Ottoman war, Croats being depicted as Hungarian/Habsburg forces. In fact, the war lasted from 1463-1607. It is the bloodiest period in Croatian history, and it took centuries for the country to recover but in the end it was well worth it!   
The thing i don't know is which dates Croats stopped Ottomans and which battles Ottomans had lost to Croats.There are lots of battles in that area, and mostly resulted with Ottoman victory.
You never heard of the battle at Sisak in 1593? Retaking of northern Bosnia in 1463? Zrinski Brod 1483? Vrpila 1491? Unsucessful sieges of Jajce in 1501, 1502, 1518 and 1521? I could just go on forever. Sure, there were Ottoman victories, but never one decisive enough to conquer all of Croatia.     
I think the role of Croatia is not so widely known, since it was in union with Hungary.

True. But I should add that while being in a union with Hungary and later the Habsburg empire, there was very litlle aid from them to Croatia. The whole country could raise about 25.000 men at the peak of it's power and I know of only two instances where signifcant reinforcements were sent to help the domestic forces-battle of Jajce in 1521 and the retaking of northern Bosnia in 1463.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 12:02
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Pretty much all protoserbian states left behind after Dusan's empire fell apart, Moldavia, Bosnia, Albania...
... so what's that only battle which triggered the fall of Moldavia and when this falling happened?

I looked at my books again and it seems I shouldn't have included Moldavia. My bad
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by Mordoth

It was just because of local Muslim Bosniaks who confronted some tyrant Albanian Begs ( Khans of Balcans ) .
They had to confront Ottomans , because high taxes were paid to those who were elected to regional government .

Ottoman Army has never failed, except the traison and collaboration of the trust-worthy local people with enemies .

( BTW ,I 'm Markovic) ;) Zdravo .

You're barking up the wrong tree there. The rebelions you speak of where in the late 16th century when the Ottoman empire had already started to weaken. Most of the time the Ottoman army had far better info on the Croatian army then vice versa because of local Bosniaks who at the time were quite loyal to the Porte.
olkiej View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote olkiej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 18:08
Originally posted by Earl Aster

One of the main advantages of the Ottoman armies was their willingness to adopt contempary european military styles. At the battle of Cahandirgan (If that's how you spell it) the Ottomans triumphed over the Safavids because of their adoption of heavy cannon. Also they were more unified as a state and after Selim conquered Mecca, they could have more of a right and control over Muslims, giving them more influence. If you look at the comparisions of Ottoman and other Eastern soldiers, the Ottoman soldiers tend to be far more european.

WHAT? The otomans werr one of the first ones to adopt the cannons. rmmbr constantinople? the Ottomans are famous of their Huge artillery corps , sir Earl Aster Smile
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 07:57
Of course we remeber Constantinopole... remeber it was a Hungarian who forged those guns
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 14:22

How the Ottomans were able to defeat so many countries so easy?
Is it llight calvary?

I can argue that it wasnt an easy conquest but an ardoous live and learn situation drawn out from the beginning of the rise of the Ottomans to the empires created by Mehmed II to Sulejman.

I would say the backbone of it all was the Ghazi. A nomadic clan of warriors who was often sponsored(but rarely controlled) by the Sultan into attacking surrounding Christian lands.

Following the death of the Seljucs I believe there came the rise of numerous independant Turkic states in Anatolia. Most of these states were administratively ignorant. Around that time there were also numerous movements of various nomads into Anatolia looking for plunder. With the surrounding Turkic states which bordered other turkic states this was a cause of many problems but one in partcular, the Osmans, bordered the Balkans and its Christia states. The Ottomans sent these various groups into the Balkans where they then plundered and weakened already failing Balkan states or often serving in their military as mercenaries.

The Byzantines could hold these groups off when the Empire was in Nicaea however when the capitol was moved again to Constantinople, its priorities shifted to the west. Eventually the Byzantines saw themselves lose all their lands in Anatolia, further opening the gates to the Balkans.

Many of the Balkan states, after the death of Dusan, were splintered principalities often at war with one another or often fighting various tribal groups within the Balkans. For instance the Despotate of Epirus saw itself weakened and eventually falling apart from various Albanian attacks on its realm. Many of these feuding groups brought Turkic mercenaries from Anatolia into their lands to figt for them.

With this the Turkic groups began to learn the weakeness of the Balkan states along with their warfare. Soon, it was these very groups which were absorbing the lands they were hired to protect.

However there were setbacks and defeats. For the Albanian example, the Sultans had to learn that bringing in massive armies would not work in mountaenous territory scarce in food and plunder. Many of these troops ended up dying from local plundering groups, disease and lack of nutrition. Mehmed II eventually started correcting this sending armies that were no more then 25,000-30,000 into the territory for only short periods of time. It was a steep contrast to the assualts of his father, which often rellied on sieging and camping a large army for an extended period of time, something brought many casualties.

In the end, the ottomans faced many setbacks but learned and fixed them. European and Balkan disunity and inability to form any kind of serious coalition brought about the real defeat. Had any group allied with Constantinople, to make a large enough force to defend the city, it would have worked. But who would have led? Undoubtably afterwards the strongest remaining in the group would have tried to takeover.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 04:02
This is taken from a history of hungary sight do you think its fair to say the Ottomans lacked a Shock Cavalry branch of their army.As i thought that what akinis were.

It would seem, then, that these tactics left nothing to be desired;taking a closer look, however, one may discover weaknesses which,though covered up by the strong points, eventually spelled catastrophe. First of all, the combat formation did not have a closed, massive,thrusting nucleus capable of shock attacks, like that of the armoredknights in European armies. The light cavalry was not fit for shock;it could do no more than harass, tire out, and finally disperse theenemy on the verge of disintegration. A closed attack could havebeen the task of the janissaries, but they were reserved for defense.Yet the defensive attitude of the janissaries was no solution to thedefense of the army as a whole either, because the light cavalry wasby its very nature entirely useless for defense. To use a simile, theOttoman combat formation was like a castle where the janissariesrepresented the citadel that makes a last stand possible, but whichhas no bastions, curtines, or forward positions. The Ottoman troopswere never able to withstand the assault of the armored knights.But, since the western cavalry was unable to carry out any othermaneuver, they could not exploit their initial success in battle. Howeffective the assault of the Christian cavalry was and how defenseless the Ottoman army facing it becomes obvious not only fromthe course of specific battles, as reconstructed from the sources, butalso from the candid admissions of Turkish historians regarding thefear which seized the Ottoman troops in the face of the massive cavalry assault. [82] Ottoman military leaders, recognizing the dangerof the assaults by armored knights, attempted to break up the solidranks of the Christian forces. One means employed was the archercavalry, which sent a shower of arrows on the enemy from all sides.Another, even more effective device was suddenly to open up theranks, so that the shock assault would hit nothing but air. [83]

II.Mehmet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote II.Mehmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 11:30
tactics,dicipline,no fear of death
and most important one

Turkish Power
Blakhernai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Blakhernai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by II.Mehmet

tactics,dicipline,no fear of death
and most important one

Turkish Power

Exactly
Regnat non regitur qui nihil nisi quod vult facit.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:34

Of course we remeber Constantinopole... remeber it was a Hungarian who forged those guns

So?
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:25
Turkish power???!!!  Stern Smile LOLLOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>