Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malaysia's 49th Independence Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaysia's 49th Independence Day
    Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 09:41

31st August 2006 is the 49th Independence for My country...

Malaysia announced independence from British on 31st Aug 1957 in Stadium Merdeka, which was led by Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj. (the first Prime Miniester). and he was from Kedah (My State!!) LOL 

For Malaysians.. It's known as Hari Merdeka or Hari Kebangsaan.

This pic was taken by me on 27th August in Dataran Perak.

This was taken on 25th Aug 2006 in Sungai Perak while I was heading
to my hometown.. Wink 

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:12
Clap

Nice pictures and congratulations to Malaysia!
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:27

Thanks Jay...

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 14:55
Happy independance day to Malaysia.Thumbs Up
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 20:51

Smile TQ

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 03:02
Happy independence day, next year you get the 50th I see.

What sort of celebrations do they have in malaysia? Is a big day or do most not really care?
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 04:17
Congratulations! I was there in Singapore during their Independance day. I found them to be quite patriotic, I can only asume that when you have a country as beautiful as your Cahaya you must be just as patriotic.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 04:46
Wish you  thousands of more happy returns of the day,
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 06:54
Can u relate to us a bit more about the malaysian quest for independence and who were the chief protagonists, antagonists and architects of this affair.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 00:03

It started by Datuk Onn Jaafar (Father of the 3rd Malaysia Prime Minister: Datuk Hussein Onn)).. due to Malayan Union which was formed after British returned to Malaya when Japan surrendered.

He had formed United Malays National Organizations in order to against Malayan Union to be formed. Coz the Malay and Sultans special exemptions and rights will be eliminated.

Due to some conflict within the UMNO, Datuk Onn released his post and Tunku Abdul Rahman had become the President. During the period where
Tunku tried to gain independence from British.. Alliance among UMNO, MCA and MIC had been made in order to obtain independence and majority supports frm people in Malaya.

Throughout this period, the Malayan Emergency had been on-going. The Malayan Races Liberation Army (MRLA), supported by the Malayan Communist Party (MCP), committed acts of terror such as tearing down farms, disrupting transportation and communication networks, attacking police stations, and so forth. Their stated goal was the end of colonialism in Malaya. The British declared the MCP, along with several left-wing political groups, illegal in 1948.

In 1956, the Tunku led a group of negotiators, comprising Alliance politicians and representatives of the Malay rulers, to London. There, they brokered a deal with the British for independence. The date of independence was set as August 31, 1957, on the condition that an independent commission be set up to draft a constitution for the country.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Malays_National_Organisation
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 07:23

i understand that Thailand got its independence before Malaysia (1949). But since the southern 4 provinces are ethnic Malay, was there any protest from them against incorporation into thailand. Was there an aspiration to form a united Malay satte with the other Malay territories?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 16:01

Originally posted by malizai

i understand that Thailand got its independence before Malaysia (1949). But since the southern 4 provinces are ethnic Malay, was there any protest from them against incorporation into thailand. Was there an aspiration to form a united Malay satte with the other Malay territories?

So far i knw.. Thailand is the only region which is never being invaded by any nations in SE Asia.. For southern Thailand.. yeah, most of the people living there are malays.. but.. there's not in my knowledge where they were having problem during tht time.. no issue like nowadays.. even never mentioned when we had our historical subject in secondary school before.. lol!!

In order to build Malaysia... Malaya had united with Sarawak and North Borneo and Singapore. This formation was basically for independence purpose not for one race vision..

Tht kind of idea came frm Indonesia.. which announced war (Confrontation) with malaysia where they wanted to stopped British from invading their land as an excuse. Anyway.. Sukarno (Indonesia's President) during that time.. had an ambition to form Indonesia Raya (Great Indonesia - similar with their national anthem title) where he wanted to make a combination of two countries between Indonesia and Malaysia..

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 18:09
thxs
 Post Reply Post Reply