Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Russian history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Russian history
    Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:11
Philhellene , very interesting analyse about "ros" and "rus'". Thumbs Up But first link is dead Cry But as I understand that there is theory about the Bible's source of word "Ros" ....
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 09:59
Ive always been under the impression that the word Russia comes from the word Rus, that was what the Slavic and Baltic people called (still do in some languages) Swedish vikings (Svear) from the region of 'Roslagen' that lies in Svealand (Sweden).

Thats what ive read and heard
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by addo

Ive always been under the impression that the word Russia comes from the word Rus, that was what the Slavic and Baltic people called (still do in some languages) Swedish vikings (Svear) from the region of 'Roslagen' that lies in Svealand (Sweden).

Thats what ive read and heard

That's the most plausible explanation as I see it. For the record, Roslagen means Ros' Law (the Scandinavian o is pronounced as a Baltic/Slavic u). Then whether the term later on meant Scandinavians or people in the region in general is another matter, personally I believe the term changed over the centuries.

And please post translations if you need to post in Russian, I feel I miss half the discussion. :)
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 04:15
Styrbiorn, in the links provided by Philhellene there are analyse of word "Rus" and "Ros".  (For example, if we translate into russian: russian - russkij, Russia - Rossija) There is shown that the word "Rus",with greater possibility, come from the name of Swedish vikings, but the word "Ros"  come from Bizantium. The theory is next:
Assosiation of Rus to Ros in Bizantium was based on mythical peoples -  Ros, which could come to sirian-bizantium historical tradition , because of noncorrect traslation of phrase from Old Testament Ezekiel book (word duke-leader. old. hebrew "rosh"). This "knowledge" about barbaric northern peoples Ros(widely distributed in context of legend about Gog and Magog), for example was used by patriarch Fotiy when Constantinople was sieged by Rus' in 860: " People come from northern country, going like to another Ierusalim ..". So , from IX century in in Bizantium documentation and later in greek language we could find name "Ros" instead of "Rus'". 
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 04:42
Years ago I read somewhere about some tribe or something called "Rukhs-As" as being the origin (or a possible origin) of the name "Russia."  Has anyone ever heard of this?
Be brave and answer me.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 07:48
Originally posted by John Lenon

Styrbiorn, in the links provided by Philhellene there are analyse of word "Rus" and "Ros".  (For example, if we translate into russian: russian - russkij, Russia - Rossija) There is shown that the word "Rus",with greater possibility, come from the name of Swedish vikings, but the word "Ros"  come from Bizantium. The theory is next:
Assosiation of Rus to Ros in Bizantium was based on mythical peoples -  Ros, which could come to sirian-bizantium historical tradition , because of noncorrect traslation of phrase from Old Testament Ezekiel book (word duke-leader. old. hebrew "rosh"). This "knowledge" about barbaric northern peoples Ros(widely distributed in context of legend about Gog and Magog), for example was used by patriarch Fotiy when Constantinople was sieged by Rus' in 860: " People come from northern country, going like to another Ierusalim ..". So , from IX century in in Bizantium documentation and later in greek language we could find name "Ros" instead of "Rus'". 

I don't really buy that. Remember that we are talking about different peoples with different ways of writing: it's all down to sound values, and I don't believe there was a difference between ros and rus. It's a bit like arguing there would be a difference between the Estonian and Finnish names of Sweden: Rootsi and Ruotsi.
Philhellene View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 18:57

Philhellene , very interesting analyse about "ros" and "rus'". Thumbs Up But first link is dead Cry But as I understand that there is theory about the Bible's source of word "Ros" ....

I`ve renewed it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/36943530/Russia.pdf.html

Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 04:10

Scytho-Sarmatian,  I did't hear about it . Give pls some info.

Styrbiorn, it just a theory. But Estonian and Finnish
are two close, but different laguages. But in russian(one language) there are two words "russkiy"(russian) and "Rossiya"(Russia). Because of that it is interesting to find out why it is so ? Wink

Philhellene, thanx !.

Edited by John Lenon - 19-Oct-2006 at 04:11
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 06:11
Since it was a long time ago, I don't remember what book I read it in.  I think it was some sort of encyclopaedia.  Anyway, if I were to take a guess I would say that the name "Rukhs-As" may be a variation of Roxolani, which was the name of one of the Sarmatian tribes.  The Roxolani inhabited the area around modern Kiev, if I'm not mistaken.
Be brave and answer me.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:06
Originally posted by BigL

The word Slaves comes from Slav people because they were constanty stolen by the Khazars who sold them to the Middle East as slaves.

Slav is the " root word " for slave in English,its meaning appropriately correlates to socially-entrenched serfdom in Russia for many centuries.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:13
Why reply to a more than 2 year old post, by a poster who's problably no longer around?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 04-Mar-2009 at 12:14
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:32
Originally posted by pebbles

Slav is the " root word " for slave in English,its meaning appropriately correlates to socially-entrenched serfdom in Russia for many centuries.

The word itself derives from the Latin word sclavus, which in turn derives from Greek sklavos, both of them meaning "Slav" in the sense of the Slavic people. In old German the word gained its connotation with slavery through German expansion into eastern Europe in the ninth and tenth centuries, which put so many Slavs in circulation in the slave trade that the name of the people became synomous with slavery. This connotation spread to other Germanic-speaking areas with time, in England for example the word "slave" is first registered in 1280, written "sclave" in Middle English.
Mastermind View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 16:55
Proof That Russia came from Ukraine:
File:Kievska rus 9th century.pngFile:Kievska rus 11th century.png
As you can clearly see Here "Kievan Rus" extends to modern russia from modern Ukraine...
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 17:00
Its as simple as that and the kievan rus was founded by the ruriks....
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 17:06

And right away ill say that im a Ukrainian

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 17:09
Also Ukrainans come from Ruriks and Russians come from Romanovs....
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2009 at 21:28
LOL
You mean that all the Ukrainians originate from Riuriks? It's nonsense. The same as that all Russians are Romanovs.

Furthermore, Russia was ruled up until the end of the 16th century by the Riurik dynasty monarchs and the first Romanovs actually were relatives of Riurikids.

And by whom was Ukraine ruled until the 18th century? By Lithuanian and Polish kings? Honestly, I see that the Riurik trace in Russia is much visible than in Ukraine.
Σαυρομάτης
Torsten Stålhandske View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 12:42
I took a liberty to modify Masterminds map a little bit. It's much more inline with chronology and origins of the Rus'. Rus' did not start in Kiev but in southern shores of Lake Ladoga.

Modern Rurikids have been DNA tested for their direct paternal origins. They belong to haplogroup N1c1. Their paternal homeland was somewhere in modern day Finland (not very surprising considering the location of Rus' Khaganate).

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/rurikid/default.aspx?section=results

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 14:31
Yes, Mastermind's map is incorrect. Ancient Rus history starts in Novgorod not in Kiev. It's only later that Riurikids come down to Kiev from their homeland of Novgorod and establish their rule there.
Σαυρομάτης
Torsten Stålhandske View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by Sarmat

Yes, Mastermind's map is incorrect. Ancient Rus history starts in Novgorod not in Kiev. It's only later that Riurikids come down to Kiev from their homeland of Novgorod and establish their rule there.

Not in Novgorod!! In Aldeigjuborg (Staraya Ladoga).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_Khaganate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staraya_Ladoga

Rus' of Ladoga (lake Ladoga was called Neva-lake back then, as is the Neva-river streaming from Ladoga to Gulf of Finland even today) were allready mentioned in Frankish annals (Annals of St. Bernin) allready in 838 AD. Spanish Moor Al-Yakubi wrote down about Rus' attack in Sevilla 842 AD.

The Rus' were very much reality long before Novgorod existed. Roots of the Rus' are in the shores of Ladoga. Novgorod was established around ~ 860 AD, as a proper town only from ~900 onwards.

Aldeigjuborg (oldest strata is around early-mid-8th century) was allready over hundred years old market town at that point. As was Alaborg, another domain of the Rus', located at the mouth of river Syas (Syväjoki, deep river is the original finnic form).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaborg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>