Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you call Medieval scholars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amirsan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Amirsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you call Medieval scholars?
    Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:43
I need some names of what writers, scientists, or any creative people were called in the Medieval European ages.  Not just one name, but several if possible.

For example, a writer in ancient times would be called a Scribe.  Would they call writers in Medieval times "Scribe" also?

I know there were indeed "scholars" and scholastisicm, but where there other names and ways of calling people who wrote great texts, researched, studied, etc. 

Thanks

Amir.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 16:19

Well, personally I think you call them scholars... It is the only term I came across in my studies...

Of course, you can also use the profession they were famous for:
philosopher, historian, natural philosopher, alchemist, astronomer etc.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 27-Aug-2006 at 16:20

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 01:59
The difficulty is that many texts in those days were of a religious nature, with the church itself often being one of the main sources of literate writers. So actual writers were typically those involved in religious works or working as a copyist. Such people were called clerics. For non-religious texts, you will need to refer to the profession of the person most of the time.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 08:34

I think its' just a question of language- they are in form the same thing, are they not?

Post Reply Post Reply