Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Thermopylae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Thermopylae
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:38
Most significant battle in history?
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 20:23
No, not even the most significant battle in the Greco-Persian Wars.
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 02:24

Exactly as Lannes mentions. The most significant was the sea-battle of Salamis. If you like, even Marathon was more important, because it was the first serious encounter of Greeks and Persians and has shown what well-trained heavy infantry can do to masses of light infantry and archers.

But Thermopylae was immortalized in history because of the self-sacrifice of the Spartans & Thespians. Americans usually compare it with Alamo

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 03:48
What about Plataea? Everyone forgets that battle.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 04:02

You're right about people forgetting Platea. I mean it was the biggest (in numbers) battle. The Greeks were never before (or after) able to present on the battleground an 100,000 strong army from all over Greece. Mardonious 250,000 strong army was anihilated and very few managed to return to Asia.

People tend to believe that the outcome of the battle was pre-determined, but anyone who knows a little history will see that there was a fine line between defeat & victory for the two sides. Politics would also play a significant part.

Another battle that is even more forgotten is the battle of Mycale (same date as Platea) where the Greek fleet destroyed the Persian one thus ending Persian threat to Greek islands. Anyone care to talk about it?

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 04:19
The battle of Thermpolye was a demonstration of the bravery, honor and sacrafice of the Spartans in the face of cirtain destruction, rather then the most significant battle. The battle its self didn't achevie much execpt for holding up the Persian army for a short while and providing a lasting legacy for Leonidas and his 7000 Spartans. Kind of like the ride and sacrifice of the 600 at the battle of Balaclava in 1854. Both battles showed extrodinary bravery but in the end achevied very little.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 04:47

I wouldn't compare the two battles. The light cavalry at Balaclava didn't know that it was going to its death. Leonidas and his men knew the outcome, yet they chose to fight never the less. It's all about the power of choice amongst free people.

It was 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians those who chose to stay when the rest of the army retreated to avoid encirclement. Everyone forgets the Thespians and that really annoys me! The Spartans were professional soldiers brought up since they were kids to be soldiers and to die for their country. There was no greater honor for them. The Thespians were farmers, merchants, teachers, craftsmen, people like you and me. Their city was a small one (almost a village) near Thermopylae and these 700 men were almost their whole fighting force-all men that could bear arms. They had the opportunity to leave with the rest of the army yet they demanded to stay with the Spartans, so they stayed and also died to the last man. Their death must have devastated their small city, since it would have seriously affected everyThespian family.

In my mind, if the Spartans did a heroic deed, then the Thespians did the unthinkable!

Here's Thespies today:

http://www.gtp.gr/LocPage.asp?id=61603

http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21109a/e211ia11.html

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 19:26

Originally posted by Yiannis

Their death must have devastated their small city, since it would have seriously affected everyThespian family.

Indeed, they were nearly completely wiped free of male citizens liable to military service.  And let's not forget that they would again have their males wiped out at the Battle of Delium a little over a half century later (and, after both Thermopylae and Delium, the Thespian city walls were breached and destroyed by the enemies who had already slaughtered them well enough).

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 23:33

I agree also. Tespian were forgotten. But theres a lot of example of the same futil bravery, even in modern history. I remenber the triple alliance war. 

Im am argentine and that was our shame moment in history. in XIX century Brasil, Uruguay and Argentina break down Paraguay couse mainly they wont agree to deal whit England. So England push us and we almost destroy them. They didnt accept total surrender and they daid whit his president Solano Lopez in the last desperate battle at cerro cor. It only survive 5000 adult male paraguayans in a population of millions. At the end of the war every paraguayans male can married whit 14 wife to re-poblate the country. Im not very familiar whit the war, but we act like mercenarys or dogs.

Well sorry Paraguay, 130 years later. the people of argentina sorry.

Not yet mein friend, not yet
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 16:49
What would have happened if D-Day failed? Think of that
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 18:54

But Thermopylae was immortalized in history because of the self-sacrifice of the Spartans & Thespians. Americans usually compare it with Alamo

Lets see. A super power trying to help some people from a smaller country change their government and take power. The bigger country hoping that once in place, the new rulers in the smaller country would be better for the interests of the bigger country.  Obviously some of the folks in the smaller country consider the people helping the super power traitor and decide to fight to death.

What does this situation remind me of.. Ahhhha !  The  Alamo, of course 

Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 21:58
I think u should check a bit better the battle of the Alamo. U must know it was not so desperate battle, and it wasnt so simple. U must remenber that it was mexican territory still habitated by mexicans.
Not yet mein friend, not yet
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 22:18

You're right about people forgetting Platea. I mean it was the biggest (in numbers) battle. The Greeks were never before (or after) able to present on the battleground an 100,000 strong army from all over Greece. Mardonious 250,000 strong army was anihilated and very few managed to return to Asia.

Make that about 150,000 Persians and about 50,000 Greeks - it was logistically impossible for the Greeks, or Persians, to present such a number of men on the battlefield - especially the Persians.  The hundred thousand man mark is much more plausable.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 04:26

I'm aware of the logistic challenges that such a force would present. But I've read a book (Hengel's on the Macedonian army) that suggest that it could be possible since the Persian were supplied by Thessaly and Macedonia which both poccess large plains and had a lot of cattle/sheep farms. Also they were able to be supplied by sea since the Persian fleet was defeated in Salamis but was still operational.

But I agree with you that we have to be causius when it comes to the figures that the ancient writers provide. What was the number mentioned by Herodotus, 5,000,000 Persians?

J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 10:16
since the Persian were supplied by Thessaly and Macedonia

Ooops, totally slipped my mind - I was thinking bringing in supplies from Anatolia.  My mistake.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 20:13
Originally posted by Sudaka

I think u should check a bit better the battle of the Alamo. U must know it was not so desperate battle, and it wasnt so simple. U must remenber that it was mexican territory still habitated by mexicans.

I was just being facetious. There are many historical events that closely resemble Persian Wars and Persians going to war with Greece. Being one of those Americans I like to think of similarities to Soviets Union going to Afghanistan to put a pro Soviet regime in place and eventually giving up, but there are more examples. Comparing Thermopylae and The Alamo is comparing apples and oranges

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 02:09

Originally posted by Miller

Comparing Thermopylae and The Alamo is comparing apples and oranges

And as the father of the bride said in "My big fat Greek wedding": "some of us are apples and some oranges, but despite of our differences, in the end we're all fruit"  

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 08:39
Originally posted by Sudaka

Tejas ( not Texas ) was part of Mexico.
Now, lets see. Some 200 tejanos/texicans abandoned by Houston to the butcher of Santa Anna that was eager to kill to the last of the tejanos/texicans.
Cmon, even more tejanos died at Goliad.
Do not misunderstand my statement. The Alamo defenders fought to the last men because they were left behind and were unable to break the siege. Santa Anna had the intentions to make examples as he did at Zacatecas. A decree was proclaimed on Dec 1835 at Mexico City warning that any foreigner caught in arms was sentenced to death.
I do not approve his methods. Many officers of his staff were also against this No Quarter Policy.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 15:54
Here's a list of the most desicive battles in History taken from Wikipedia:

The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World is a book written by Sir Edward Shepherd Creasy and published in 1851. This book tells the story of the fifteen military engagements (from Marathon to Waterloo) which had a significant impact on world history. The battles that Creasy selected were:

The Spanish ArmadaBattle of Marathon, 490 BC
Defeat of the Athenians at Syracuse, 413 BC
Battle of Arbela, 331 BC
Battle of the Metaurus, 207 BC
Victory of Arminius over the Roman Legions under Varus, 9 AD
Battle of Chalons, 451
Battle of Tours, 732
Battle of Hastings, 1066
Joan of Arc's Victory over the English at Orlans, 1429
Defeat of the Spanish Armada, 1588
Battle of Blenheim, 1704
Battle of Pultowa, 1709
Victory of the Americans over Burgoyne at Saratoga, 1777
Battle of Valmy, 1792
Battle of Waterloo, 1815
Some of Creasy's choices are decidedly dated, and are no longer taken as seriously as formerly. Other historians have attempted to modify or add to the list. In 1930 Texas historian Clarence Wharton published San Jacinto: The Sixteenth Decisive Battle, in which he made the case for adding the final battle of the Texas Revolution to Creasy's list.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifteen_Decisive_Battles_of _the_World
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 17:25
waterlo in fact is completely insignificant, there was no way Napoleon would have remained in position even when defeating wellignton and Blcher for 2 more times, all of europe was marching against him and france was completely overexhasted, my choice would go to Borodino or Leipzig. Valmy however is a very excellent choice, I completely agree with it. most other battles, especially Marathon, Teutoburg forrest, Hastings and Orleans are just dumb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>