Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rabia Balkhi: Most famous poetress of Mus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rabia Balkhi: Most famous poetress of Mus
    Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 21:54
Rabia Balkhi or Rabia Qozdari is a famous princess who lived in the city of Balkh and at the court of samanids during the 9th century AD. Beside her physical beauty, she loved writing verses of poem. Her talent in poetry was concentrated on love and beauty. Her poems were not recited public during her life time, but definitely stole listeners' hearts and minds throughout the ages after her tragidic death.
Rabia met Baktash, a servant to her brother Hareth, and they began to see each otehrs in privacy and write each others poetry. Upon suspecting his sister behaviors, Hareth ordered his men to banish katash from the city which resulted in his murder. Sadly, some records say that Hareth killed his sister, but other accounts tell stories of Rabia sinking into deep depression and pain till she was found dead in ladies bathhouse with her hand's veins slashed. She wrote with her blood the final verse on the wall of the bathhouse as the first woman poet of Islamic world. 
Rabia was recorded as daughter of Ka'ab of a tribe that speak Arabic and inhabiting Eastern Iran or Khorassan, she was bilingual and wrote her poetry in Arabic and Persian. Unfortunately, little is known about her in Wikipedia or in English search engines. Contributions to this thread is greatly appreciated either in English or in any language she wrote her poems with.

Some of her translated work:

Love

By Rabia Balkhi

I am caught in Love's web so deceitful
None of my endeavors turn fruitful.
I knew not when I rode the high-blooded stead
The harder I pulled its reins the less it would heed.
Love is an ocean with such a vast space
No wise man can swim it in any place.
A true lover should be faithful till the end
And face life's reprobated trend.
When you see things hideous, fancy them neat,
Eat poison, but taste sugar sweet

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 10:40
OMAR KAYYAM is the best !!!!!!!!!!!
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
DocStaph View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DocStaph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 20:41
I have never heard of her before, Will you post more information on this character. Smile
Pregnancy is a Death Sentence to an Afghan Woman!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 17:05
Actually I posted the thread trying to find more information about her. First time I read about her was in a book about Afghanistan. It was brief. I tried to search online sources, and I found only what I have posted above. I'm sure Afghan, and Persian sources talk about her more in details. That, I need the help of other fellows here.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 22:47
I doubt you can consider her as poetress of Muslim world. She was more into terrestrial life style than sprituality of islam.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 01:27
Well, I'm not saying she is a spiritual person. I'm just noting she is the most famous (or one of the most famous) poetress of the Muslim world. It is a geographical synonymous. Same as the most famous poetress of Middle East or Central Asia or whatever location her fame can cover.
D.J. Kaufman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 20:41
Originally posted by Maziar

I doubt you can consider her as poetress of Muslim world. She was more into terrestrial life style than sprituality of islam.

I realize that your anti-Islamic feelings prevent you from being able to credit Islam and Muslims with any accomplishments, but please set aside your Islamophobia this one time and concede that this woman was indeed a Muslim and her poetry was indeed influenced by her Islamic upbringing.
AFG-PaShTuN View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AFG-PaShTuN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 20:04
Her burial place is kind of in our backyard, behid the walls of our house, in that Shrine. Glad to have a house at such a location.

She indeed was a Great poetess.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 10:34
Hm, I hadnt heard of her before. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by gambino420

Originally posted by Maziar

I realize that your anti-Islamic feelings prevent you from being able to credit Islam and Muslims with any accomplishments, but please set aside your Islamophobia this one time and concede that this woman was indeed a Muslim and her poetry was indeed influenced by her Islamic upbringing.

Islam strictly forbids suicide, I doubt that was part of her upbringing.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
mariamjan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mariamjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 17:10
LOVE

Your love caused me to be imprisoned again
My effort to keep this love as a secret was in vain
Love is as a sea with the shores you cannot see
And a wise can never swim in such a sea.

Translated in English by
Manouchehr Saadat Noury: Montreal, Canada (2005)

Here is the Persian version of above poem, which has been written about 1000 years ago by Rabia , the first Iranian poetess

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 08:39
Rābi'a bint Ka'b al-Quzdārī (in Persian: رابعه قزداری), popularly known as Rābi'a Balkhī (رابعه بلخی) and Zayn al-'Arab[1] (زين العرب), is a semi-legendary[2] figure of Persian literature and was possibly the first poetess in the history of New Persian poetry. References to her can be found in the poetry of Rūdakī and 'Attār. Her biography has been primarily recorded by Zāhir ud-Dīn 'Awfī and renarrated by Nūr ad-Dīn Djāmī. The exact dates of her birth and death are unknown, but it is reported that she was a native ofBalkh in Khorāsān (now in Afghanistan). Some evidences indicate that she lived during the same period as Rūdakī, the court poet to the Samanid Emir Naṣr II (914-943).......

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 02:27
Mister Madhi, foul language is not allowed on this forum! Neither are racial remarks, insulting other cultures, and hate speech. This is your first warning.
 Post Reply Post Reply