Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Livonian War( 1558-1583)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Livonian War( 1558-1583)
    Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 09:18

I am posting here and do not consider this as off-topic, but it would be better if you could start a new topic such as:

The Estonian Latvian relations

in which we could discuss it certainly much easierly. So do it, the title however should be something along that.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 09:29
Originally posted by rider

I am posting here and do not consider this as off-topic, but it would be better if you could start a new topic such as:

The Estonian Latvian relations

in which we could discuss it certainly much easierly. So do it, the title however should be something along that.

Well, I've asked in this topic, because I'd like to know one thing - for a long time, modern territory of Estonia and Latvia created one state - Livonia (or Livonian Confederation if you prefer this name :)). The Livonian war 1558-1583 virtualy destroyed this state. My question about feelings of Latvians and Estonians to each others has a deeper meaning. I'd like to know, if you (I mean average people in Latvia and Estonia) feel that this war partitioned your country? Or maybe you feel that this war has nothing to your national identity?

Edited by ataman - 22-Aug-2006 at 09:34
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 09:46
There never was an unified state, although there was the Confederacy. Please, start such a new topic. The Confedercy was made up of different independent states (the Archbishopric of Riga, Bishopric of Tartu, Bishopric of Saare-Lne, Livonian Order). Although they did gather once in a year ona maapev, it meant nothing more important as every of these states was independent and with their own rights. As I said, open a new topic so we can discuss it better.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 10:01
Ok, let's go back to the main subject.

The Diplomat, if you are interested in Polish point of view, this war began the period of a dominance of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth over Moscow state (which was finished about 1 century later).
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 13:25
    I would say that Order times was far mor free and happyer for locals for they still were free man, they could own weapons and had to serve their lord only few days in a year, they had allmost the same rights as in pagan times and they still worshiped old gods (up to 19 century in some places). Later, after Livonian war, locals slowly became slaves (worst was in 18 century). Swedish times was litlle exeption, but for short time only and only to about one half ro modern Latvias teritory.
Un beidzot liecas un sašķīst viss kristīgo bars -
Nav pārspējams šodien tiem zemgaļu niknums un kaujas spars!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 13:33
I would say that this does not take place for the Order in the Estonian territories.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 13:42
Milns, are you from Latvia? I'm just curious.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 15:05
He or she is from:

Latvia but the region could not be found out. The IP is very foolish. I think that you are not from Riga or other larger cities?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 23:01

The IP is very foolish.

Wy foolish? Wha is that mean 'milns'?
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 04:57
Milns means nothing and I am from Riga.
P.S.
Explain why my IP is foolish
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by milns

I would say that Order times was far mor free and happyer for locals for they still were free man, they could own weapons and had to serve their lord only few days in a year, they had allmost the same rights as in pagan times and they still worshiped old gods (up to 19 century in some places). Later, after Livonian war, locals slowly became slaves (worst was in 18 century). Swedish times was litlle exeption, but for short time only and only to about one half ro modern Latvias teritory.

Interesting opinion. It has rights to exist. Like opinion - thanx for the Order for Christian religion bringing to our land (problem is about ways of bringing Dead)
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 06:42
So yoa are saying that serfdom where men are compared to cattle and sold or lost in a card game is far more better then formal go to church in Sunday and even don't understad what the priest is saying? I do not thank Order for bringing christian religion to our land, I just compare rulers and life under their rule and I have come to conclusion that living in Livonian confederation a local man had all the rights and chances to live free and in prosperity, this kind of situation was again reached under the Swedish rule in modern day Vidzeme (in Latvian teritory) and it is for about only 1/4 of Latvian population.

Edited by milns - 23-Aug-2006 at 06:51
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:45
Mils nomierienies Wink

I do not compare serfdom and Sunday in church Confused As you can see I just answered to the question about Polland, Sweden and Russian reigns. Please read comments more carefully Geek 

I can repeat again: 
1. i think it is not correct to compare reigns from the history points of view because of long time period between them.
2. Every reign could be remmembered with  bad and with something good.

It is difficult to say what was better for Latvian inhabatian in XIII century, to became a serf or to die or to became a christian ... We can only think about it from the modern point of you ...

What for Order times, I could tell that it was one (and important) of various causes why Latvian or Estonian states born only in 1918 ... But again: what is more important State or personality ? Wink

Edited by John Lenon - 23-Aug-2006 at 07:48
milns View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote milns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:54
Jau mierīgs

Originally posted by John Lenon

What for Order times, I could tell that it wasone (and important)of variouscauseswhy Latvian or Estonian states born only in 1918 ... But again what is more important State or personality [IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Yes, but don't you think that Latvian and maybe Estonian would be incorporated into Grand Duchy of Lithuania instead?

And sorry for misunderstandig.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 09:21
Originally posted by milns

Yes, but don't you think that Latvian and maybe Estonian would be incorporated into Grand Duchy of Lithuania instead?     

May be , but may be in that case Lithaunia could be icorporated in Great Duchy of Latvia or Estonian Kingdom LOLLOLLOL

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 15:22
*Grand Duchy, not Great Duchy.

Your IP is foolish because unlike others, it showed no other region except the country when I looked it up.

This is going very much off-topic. Start new topics, but do not talk in off-topic.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by ataman

Can you tell me what do people in Latvia know about this war? Is it important part of your history?

In Latvian historigraphy Livonian War is taken as symbolic end to Medieval times in Baltic, as the medieval state structures - bishopies, order state passed away.
For Baltic common people (Latvians, Estonians), this war was very horrible, the Russian raids were the most destructive and large part of population was killed and taken as captives to Russia.
There were no effective resistance from Livonians as the state was weakened by Reformation and quarells among confederacy members. At the start of war Livonian confederacy didn't have any decent army, because somewhere in the 16th century the Livonian landtag made law which forbad peasants to own weapons. The battle of Ergeme 1560 was the only battle fought between Confederacy and Muscovy and it was complete disaster. Livonians nummbered about 2000 (knights, light cavalry), Muscovy forces were about 30000.

Edited by axeman - 29-Aug-2006 at 12:10
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 03:39
Nope. I know nothing of Estonians taken as captives.

Oomuli wasn't definetly the only battle fought between the Order and Russians. As no formal state of the Confederacy of Livonia existed each state had to defend themselves with their own forces.

I was almost tempted to take that post down for foolishness and ignorance what we have written here before.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 04:06

Nope. I know nothing of Estonians taken as captives.

Oomuli wasn't definetly the only battle fought between the Order and Russians. As no formal state of the Confederacy of Livonia existed each state had to defend themselves with their own forces.

I was almost tempted to take that post down for foolishness and ignorance what we have written here before.

Well can you give me sources where there are other battles mentioned(not counting sieges), because Livonian confederacy collapsed as fast as Muscovians advanced.
For my references I am using primary source Chronica der Prouintz Lyfflandt 1583 by Rssow Balthasar.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 05:06
For example Kostivere, I do not know any other at now.

BTW, Russow is clearly biased towards the Germans. It is seriously doubted that the Order numbered around 1000 at Oomuli. Though, indeed there were definetly 750 heavy knights of the Order. It is also known that Russow does not mention the light infantry or sometimes infantry at all that took part of some battles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12