Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Fall of Singapore, 1942

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Fall of Singapore, 1942
    Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 15:57
A subject of interest to me. I will post my thoughts on this in due course but am interested in the international view of this subject?
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 22:57
Originally posted by aghart

A subject of interest to me. I will post my thoughts on this in due course but am interested in the international view of this subject?

In my view, the fall of Singapore is a simple of issue of superior quality beating quantity. 

The Japanese troops who landed in Thailand and marched south represented  the cream of the Japanese military establishment.  In contrast, capable Commonwealth units were already deployed to the Middle East or Britain leaving only garrison troops in Singapore. 

The garisson troops were then outmatched at the individual soldier level, the unit level and at the command level by Japan's best.   

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 23:13
When 30,000 troops forced more than 100,000 troops to surrender, it's not a quality factor of individual troops but leadership.

There were various units under the British command who performed well, and even won respect from their Japanese opponents.

The main culprits were in UK, but that is on a political level.
On a military level, Arthur Percival who was in charge simply failed to take precautions.

I read of a diary of Yamash*ta which recorded the Tiger was himself nervous until the British actually signed the surrender papers. The Japanese forces themselves were running out of supplies against an enemy more than 3 times their size.

While the Brits didn't have matching tanks, warships and warplanes to counter the Japanese, it was their lack of preparations that led to the water supplies being cut - the deciding factor in the decision to surrender. It could have been prevented by early preparations.

What the ... Y-a-m-a-s-h-i-t-a is a name of a historical person.

Edited by snowybeagle - 20-Aug-2006 at 23:16
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 23:24
Originally posted by snowybeagle

While the Brits didn't have matching tanks, warships and warplanes to counter the Japanese, it was their lack of preparations that led to the water supplies being cut - the deciding factor in the decision to surrender. .

Though some individual Commonwealth units may have performed well, most could not match their Japanese counterparts.  The Japanese only had a handful of light tanks and light artillery peices.  Most Japanese marched or road bicycles down the penninsula.   As to the water supply on Singapore, a more capable Commonwealth Commander using first line  units of well trained, motivated soldiers would have stopped the outnumbered Japanese far north of Singapore.

With a few exceptions. The Commonwealth was just out fought as individuals, units and at the Commander level.  Japanese equipment had little to do with their victory.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 23:56
Singapore was undefendable and should have been given up. 100,000 plus Empire troops lost for no reason at all, troops who could have kept Burma safe.

I grant I have a personal issue here, since I had an uncle killed there, but IMO Churchill should havem either greatly strenghtened the RN presence there, or simply abanodned it.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 03:02
The Australian view of the battle is that it was lost because the british naval and aerial forces were inadequate at defeating those of the Japanese. I read an article in a British newspaper while I was in England a few years ago which attributed the loss of the whole battle to one Australian commander whose civil life as a doctor left him too squeemish to carry out military duties effectually. I found that article rather baseless.
XueKaiYuan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote XueKaiYuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 09:08
Correction: The british didn't have tanks. NONE. ZILT . ABSOLUTELY NONE AT ALL. not even a light tank. All they got were 750 british soldiers, few hundred malay or indian regiment troops, and 300 planes. at least 200 or so chinese volunteers who carried blades and rushed to battle with the japanese. Japanese had 6000 troops, 300 tanks and 600 planes. I'm not sure if this is accurate but I think it should be around there. By the way, The british were not only unprepared for battle, but they thought japanese were less superior. I saw a old documentary depicting the fall of singapore. The british were showing a movie about the japanese. It showed that the japaneses IJN troops were not even traine to load a gun let alone shoot. But of course, They did not expect Yamash ita to be so well eqquiped for battle.

General in command of Singapore's defence was A.E. percival. He thought that the japanese would come by sea as the malayan forests up north were too thick for troops, let alone tanks to pass through. so he and his colleagues decided to bring up the big guns south of the island in sentosa, and west, facing the USA. They assumed the japanese were coming from the sea. But they didn't. They came from the north by bicycles...<----LOL. Evil tactic, smart eh?

Singapore was defendable. It was defendable. The battle could carry on. Both sides still could manage on and carry on. Especially the British. They had enough ammo but Yamash ita created some kind of scene. He made the japanese side seem as if they had more resources. street fighting and hand to hand fighting coud have continued after the Japanese or the British lost their ammo.

I asked one of my american friends online and he said his granpapa died in singapore. I'm not sure if there were even any americans at all, but here are some well known resistors that even the little kids here know all about.

Lt. Adnan Bin Saidi. Lim Bo Seng. Find out about them if you wanna know more about the fall of singaporeand the occupation of singapore. These two people have made great contributions. AND ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT 100,000 troops were wasted because of singapore? How can that be?? How can 100,000 troops get to singapore or even be involved in defending it. It would take too long. Singapore is only an island! and it's population then was very little compared to now.

SINGAPORE COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED. If only more reinforcements came to assist the volunteers and British/indian/malay/australian soldiers. But even so, It could have been done without reinforcements. By the way, the australians were counted into the 750 british soldiers.

MINORITY OVER MAJORITY, plus the defenders had more artillery power. The british had huge guns capable of shooting things 20 km away. Japanese, however had no heavy tanks. They had mainly light tanks or one man tanks armed with machine guns or mini cannons. Only these light tanks could trek past vast forests. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE JAPANESE, let alone the British. They had created and invented the mitsubishi zero and the AIchiVAL.

As for warships, the british had only two due to the crisis in europe. They only sent two. The Prince of wales and the repulse. They were the only two in the entire waters surrounding southeast asia. due to some misguided information, they were bombed at some area by Japanese bombers, while trying to make the Japanese believe that the British had brought their all powerful navy to save singapore.

Edited by XueKaiYuan - 21-Aug-2006 at 09:22
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLOOOLLL!!!
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 15:03
Such well informed people!!! very impressive.  I can only agree with most of the comments made. Lack of preparation by the British and a total underestimation of Japanese capabilities.

Most of the myths seem to have been put in the dustbin where they belonged. The big guns of Singapore could and did face north and engage the Japanese but the fact is they only had AP ammunition instead of HE.

The defence of Singapore Island was a botched affair.  No defences were built on the north side of the Island after Dec 7th 1941 because Percival thought it would be bad for morale!!.
He tried to cover the entire shoreline of the Island  thus he spread his troops too thinly and had no adequate reserve!!.

Many of the British troops on the island hardly saw any action from the moment the Japs landed to the time of surrender and all because they were guarding the area's the Japs didn't attack.

As for the 100,000 Commonwealth soldiers captured!!  most books I have read now say that 85,000 is a more realistic figure. Also this figure includes logistics and non combatant uniformed men, whilst the figures of 30,000 Japanese is a bayonet count and does NOT include support troops. 

Still a humiliation for Britain but not quite as big as it would first seem.

Edited by aghart - 21-Aug-2006 at 16:56
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 22:31

I recalled reading from Geoffrey Regan's book on Military Blunders, that Percival refused to implement additional precautions such as stocking up on essential supplies like water, building defence lines etc.

When pressed for the reason, Percival could only say he thought it'd be bad for morale.

Geoffrey Regan had been criticised sometimes for sensationalism, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the above. But if true, Percival ought to have been court-martialled after his release from internment.

The problem is, if he was charged, so should many other senior leadership in the British command back in UK.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 00:42
I have actually read 130,000 in some places. That however might have been everyone, from the troops, to local milita, to civilian administration.

Edited by Sparten - 22-Aug-2006 at 00:43
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 14:35
Originally posted by Sparten

I have actually read 130,000 in some places. That however might have been everyone, from the troops, to local milita, to civilian administration.

The figure of 130,000 includes those captured on the mainland as well as Singapore Island itself.  The final count simply cannot be verified, most recent books are saying 100,000 prisoners (including the mainland campaign).  In truth a few thousand here and there does not matter.  The british were soundly beaten by a superior enemy.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 01:21
Just adds up to the humiliation.
XueKaiYuan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote XueKaiYuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:30
lol, 130,000 is too much.....
from sources here, n umbers were less than 10k....
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLOOOLLL!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply