Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What should be added to the website?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What topics do you want to see more coverage of on De Re Militari
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.00%]
1 [5.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
3 [15.00%]
1 [5.00%]
7 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should be added to the website?
    Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 00:11
I like to ask this question and see where people's interest lies.  I only can have 10 possibilities, otherwise their would be more choices.  I would appreciate it if there were specific ideas for material to be included, and if so, a particular article or source (ie. more on the Battle of Hastings).

Thanks
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 00:39
Originally posted by Orderic Vitalis

I like to ask this question and see where people's interest lies.  I only can have 10 possibilities, otherwise their would be more choices.  I would appreciate it if there were specific ideas for material to be included, and if so, a particular article or source (ie. more on the Battle of Hastings).

Thanks

Well, the poll is not letting me vote in it for some reason.

But I would vote for more on Byzantium (obviously Big smile). 

Specifically material dealing with the late period military, 13th-15th centuries.  What you have on there now concerning Byzantium is good but a bit slanted towards the earlier periods.  Mark Bartusis, who wrote a book on the later army, has numerous articles on a variety of specialized topics.  Marios Philippides, from whom you have one article, has many others dealing with the fall of Constantinople.  Walter Hanak also deals with the fall of 1453.  George T. Dennis has translated many of the Byzantine taktika or military handbooks.  Something from these would go well in your primary sources section.

There are also some new and upcoming scholars who might be worth watching for future material.  I posted in your thread on SMQ about Nikolas Kanellopoulos and Ionne Lekea, who gave a paper at Kalamazoo this past May that was excellent, entitled "The Battle of Apros and Its Impact on Byzantine Warfare of the Early Fourteenth Century."  If you cannot get this paper I would definitely see if Mr. Kanellopoulos would write for the journal in the future (he actually told me he was working on an article for it).

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:44
Yep, Byzantine Emperor is correct, the poll is not letting you vote on it. I believe that you might have accidentally closed the poll when you created it. 

The Byzantium of Middle Ages is a very thrilling topic; the Wars against Sassanids.

Ofcourse, an interesting topic is the Scandinavian and North-Eastern Europe (Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, the Russian territories) during the Early Medieval (from the 6th to 10th centuries).

Too bad that you don't write on Ancient Topics.

Edited by rider - 16-Aug-2006 at 09:54
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 13:26
Poll voting should work now.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 14:49
Thanks, II.

Still, I can see that the 10 answers is not enough. As i mentioned in my previous post, I owuld like to see Early Eastern. not seeing the Eastern Europe's variant there I voted Early. Be not confused.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 15:17
eastern european Tabor/Wagenburg tactics.
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 09:47
In one word: Ordonnance.

My primary interest right now lies in researching the French and Burgundian Ordonnances and their development through the late 15th century. Brian Ditcham's dissertation on the foreign mercenaries in French service has been extremely helpful, but I still find considerable difficulties in locating and/or accessing sources that specialize more in the post-Ordonnance era, including ones Ditcham has listed as his primary references. I'd particularly appreciate treatises on the League for the Public Weal and the civil war it sparked (Guerre du Bien Publique in Ditcham's dissertation). Another particular point of interest for me is the continuation of the Franco-Burgundian conflict in the late 15th century. It's so damned difficult to find good references just for that one battle at Montlhery!

Since the answer is not directly available there, I voted for Italy because I'd also like to see a general treatment of organizational and tactical practices among the condottieri. The De Re Militari site itself already has plenty of material on the social, political, and economic aspects of those great mercenary companies, but I've been unable to find an article or primary source that takes a closer focus on the more strictly military aspects of their operation. In any case, I've heard that Charles the Bold adopted the Italian-style lance organization in the later two of his Ordonnances, and I'm curious about the development of this organizational system and also in where it differs from the French/German/whatever kinds of lance/gleve.

Last but not least, I'd like to see more about the phenomenon of the mounted crossbowmen--the history of their development; whether they acted more as mounted infantry, mounted skirmishers, or missile-armed heavy cavalry; and their relationship (if any) with the later sword-and-pistol reiters of the 16th century.

Whew. Isn't that a lot?

Edited by Hyarmendacil - 20-Oct-2006 at 09:49
Endre Fodstad View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Endre Fodstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 03:51
The availability of good medieval scandinavian post-viking age scholarship in english is rather limited, despite fairly good sources in some regions - probably because few current scandinavian medievalists are interested in the subject. However, there are some, and there is decent writings out there. Older scholarship tended to focus on the pecularities of scandinavia, and a perceived backwardness that perhaps makes little sense considering how close ties the peninsula had to continental Europe.
 Post Reply Post Reply