Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the De Re Militari forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orderic Vitalis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Orderic Vitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to the De Re Militari forum
    Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 21:51

On behalf of De Re Militari: The Society for Medieval Military History, I welcome you to our forum.  De Re Militari is an academic association, representing professors and scholars who study medieval warfare.  Our activities include organizing sessions at conferences, producing the annual Journal of Medieval Military History, and maintaining a website, www.deremilitari.org.  Our website contains a very large online resources section that includes articles, primary sources and book reviews.  Most of our items have been republished from books and journals, and we make an effort to promote new books related to medieval warfare.   We wanted to create a forum which would our readers could ask questions about our society and discuss medieval warfare, in particular topics related to our online resources. 

I would like to thank the administrators of allempires.com for allowing us to develop this forum and we hope that you will enjoy our posts and discussions.

Yours Sincerely,

Peter Konieczny
aka Orderic Vitalis

Website Editor
De Re Militari
Visit our site www.medievalists.net for articles, videos and more about the Middle Ages
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 23:38
Many thanks, Orderic Vitalis. This comes as a welcome addition to increasing the scholarly nature of our discussions.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 00:05
I sincerely hope AE members can take advantage of our partnership with De Re Militari and get themselves exposed to more scholarly materials instead of relying on secondary sources all the time. Once one becomes familiar with the former, one will notice the substantial difference in quality between the two.   
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 23:36
Originally posted by flyingzone

I sincerely hope AE members can take advantage of our partnership with De Re Militari and get themselves exposed to more scholarly materials instead of relying on secondary sources all the time. Once one becomes familiar with the former, one will notice the substantial difference in quality between the two.

I couldn't agree with you more here.  No more Wikipedia citations!

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 13-Aug-2006 at 23:38
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:48
Yes, even I must agree.

Originally posted by Flyingzone

one will notice the substantial difference in quality between the two.

Not only in quality, often also in quantity.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 13:38
I just checked out the De Re Militari forum and must say I am ecstatic to see their partnership with All Empires.  I am glad to see a place online with such scholarly articles on such important topics.  I look forward to citing articles from such a reliable site.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 09:29
About time. De Re Militari has always been my first reference point for researching medieval European warfare for more than five years, and I have no doubts that the information continued therein would help All Empires forum members in finding well-referenced pertinent information. The various collections and links to primary sources have been particularly productive mines of research material for me--an amateur, inexperienced enthusiast of military history. How much more so will it be for a more dedicated and experienced person?
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 16:26
This represents a cornerstone for all empires - that now, it has offically taken part with an acedemic society. Congradualtions!
Mercury_Dawn View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mercury_Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 06:30
I was on their forum back when it first started, I am honestly a little surprised the forum has been continued, though I always thought the site was a gem. 

Edited by Mercury_Dawn - 30-Aug-2008 at 06:30
 Post Reply Post Reply