Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran
    Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 08:25
On 25 August 1941, combined UK and Soviet Union forces, invaded Iran to secure the Persian oilfields (Persian corridor).
During the invasion Reza Shah appealed to the american president :

"on the basis of the declarations which Your Excellency has made several times regarding the necessity of defending principles of international justice and the right of peoples to liberty. I beg Your Excellency to take efficacious and urgent humanitarian steps to put an end to these acts of aggression. This incident brings into war a neutral and pacific country which has had no other care than the safeguarding of tranquillity and the reform of the country''

My question is how is this invasion documented in Iran's history, what Iranians believe about that? Was this invasion a liberation from the Shah? Was it a cruel and unjustice invasion?
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 15:01
No way was it a liberation, my grandma remembers them [Brits] they had no respect for Iranians, they treated us like second class citizens in our own country and commited various stereotypical crimes...

The motives were clear on both invading sides, the British: oil, the Russians, territory: they set up two puppet republics, Kurdish and Azari, both of which collapsed immediately after their withdrawal without much resistance.

The pretext for this invasion was Iran's large German civilian population which apparently numbered at around 80-100k.  Iran, a neutral country, refused to bow to the imperialist demands by expelling them.

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 02:17
Thanks Zagros! In many history books the only thing that I have found was, that Iran was thankful, because after the invasion Iran joined the Allies. 
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 12:31
It goes a bit behond that. Of course, the Iranian-Bristish oil company was one of the fiercest promotor of the invasion but there are more reasons.
The English needed badly to send weapons and amuntions to USSR which at that time was almost impossible through the Northern Sea, Iran was the simplest way.
After the Iraqi uprising (already) against the English, the Brits were very conserned about the possibility of the Iranian joining the troops of Rommel destroying the Allies in North Africa and the Middle East and threatening Southern Russia and India and after a while joining the Japs in Malaysia.

Finally it was an imperialist move (very light on the English consciences I guess) but a necessary one. Yet, nobody says Irian should have liked it. Yet it is interesting how the Russian retreated after the tensions in the mid 40's while the English neo-imperialism staid until the good doctor M. arrived.

M.
I am a free donkey!
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 13:17
Doctor M?

I thought that the English withdraw their forces in 1943, and the soviet's in 1946.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 16:27
Doctor M= Doctor Mosadegh

Yes Russian and English Armies withdraw their forces, but english influence has never left Iran, emm i think it is still there.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 20:57
Yeah and Iran was one of the very first spot where the cold war way of dealing with things between Russia and the Allies appeared in december 1945 if I'm not too wrong.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 04:11
Did Iran even have that German population?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 20:56
Yes they did. Not properly large but very mighty.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 21:10
So what ever happened to the Germans, are they still there.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 10:51

Maybe, i am not sure. But the most of them removed from Iran after the Anglo-Russian invasion.

Post Reply Post Reply