Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deaths at the Berlin Wall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deaths at the Berlin Wall
    Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 16:49
It's only a small footnote on German post-war history, and probably not quite all that significant, but still mildly interesting.
A publicly funded research project on the deaths that occured at the Berlin wall during its 28 years ( 1961-1989) of existence, has just published its findings. It came to the conclusion that the figure of far over 200 that so far had been cited, has to be halfed.
The research could only confirm the deaths of 125 people, who had died as they tried to escape from East-Berlin to the Western Sectors. The discrepancy can be contributed to two factors, firstly that the DDR not only never had kept any records over the incidences at the wall , but also  had deliberately concealed any attempts of "Republikflucht" from the public. The other reason of course is, that in the times of the "Cold War", the Western propaganda had tried to portray the DDR in the worst possible light, and thus had been rather economical with the truth.
I think one can predict years of unbridled fun and more surprises, until the 40 years of German division are historically processed.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 17:00
I remember only a single person who died at the Berlin wall. I don't remember his name, but he was trying to jump over and was shot - and remained there screaming for quite some time before he died, then the East German forces retrieved the body and hurried it away. He was very young, I can still picture his face in my mind - but I have no idea who he was.

I think such things are always misrepresented. Look at Nova Gorica (Slovenia) and Gorizia (Italy). The official line is that the wall was drawn between West and East, with all of the Italians moving to the West and all the Slavs to the East. The official line is that, I believe, several dozen were killed trying to flee from the Slavic side to the Italian side of the city.

In fact, the wall was drawn rather haphazardly and thousands of Italians were left on the Slovenian side and vice versa. This is still evident in family names today, though linguistically and culturally "remnants" on both sides of the wall have fully adopted the identities of the majority that surrounds them. Fully adopted to the point that it is offensive to suggest to Fillipa Mancini in Nova Gorica that her heritage might be Italian.

Those killed crossing the wall didn't all die trying to escape communist Yugoslavia. A great number, I believe it's sometimes referenced as a majority - died crossing to visit family members on the other side. Others died returning from visiting family members on the other side. It was far less ideological that they'd have us believe.

Then, when Slovenia joined the EU, the wall came down. The Italians wanted to call it Republic Square or something, as it was before WWII. Slovenians wanted to call it Europe Square. They couldn't agree, so protestors put the wall back up.

Oh Europe... God bless you.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 09:55
O Europe... God bless you

haha. Ineed Europe has seen somem very hard times, along with some odd times.
 Post Reply Post Reply